Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wire Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Snoop murdered someone as a teenager.

Was arrested / convicted of drug infractions AFTER the show also when she fell back in with the old crowd. (pleaded to heroin offenses)

and

One of the detectives was recently arrested for drugs also.

https://kfor.com/2019/07/22/th...for-drug-possession/

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Best cop show ever aired. The producer really paid attention to his advisors (retired homicide investigators) and actually used their advice to product something that wasn't just an exercise in drama, but an accurate portrayal of what happens on the streets of an "urban battlefield", and why. The season that depicted the experience of kids growing up in "B-More" was unflinchingly realistic.

This is one of those series that needs to be rewatched several times. There's so many details that flesh out not just the plot, but character and scene developments that it's like a treasure chest full of hidden gems.

As much as I might disagree with David Simon's theories of how some of these social problems can be addressed, he is certainly able to recognize their nature and present it to his audience.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The scene in season 1 where Omar first meets McNulty & Greggs is at a cemetery very close to where I grew up -Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery. I have several family members buried there.

There are so many other scenes that I recall from growing in the city, but that scene really sticks out to me (from season 1).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
"Pretty good show" is the understatement of the century. The Wire is the king.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I agree about the quality of The Wire.
And I can’t for the life of me understand why David Simon, the creator, is a Democrat. He knows how things are going down, he knows about the corruption, and he still pushes Leftist crap.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
“Is you takin' notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy??"

"You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the fuck it's gonna take you."

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JlJ, I don't know if you got to the "Fuck" episode, but when you, can ya let me know?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
JlJ, I don't know if you got to the "Fuck" episode, but when you, can ya let me know?

S1, Ep4

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching Season 1. Had not even heard of the series until coming upon this thread.

I thought it was outstanding. The cast was just phenomenal. Idris Elba as Stringer Bell did an incredible job. D-Angelo, Bubbles and Omar were also stand outs I thought. Extremely well-acted characters.

And damn if I don't just love saying "Wee-Bey and Stinkum".

Looking forward to watching later seasons.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just starting this one. Never watched it. We just finished The Sopranos so we are hoping this one is as good. Glad I’m not the only one late to the party.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Just starting this one. Never watched it. We just finished The Sopranos so we are hoping this one is as good. Glad I’m not the only one late to the party.

it takes a bit to get into -- but it definitely gels a couple episodes in

as others have stated - arguably the best series ever filmed

about as 'real' as TV gets IMO

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it as much as almost anything on TV. Glad you found it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I'm jealous of anyone who is just starting it for the first time. It's among the very best. If you haven't already watched Deadwood, I'd have that one queued up ready to go once you get through all of The Wire.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Great show. One of the series I wish I could erase from the memory bank so that I could watch it for the first time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've watched it all the way through 3 times. At its best it is the best show of all time, imo, but I can't argue with someone if they think The Sopranos is better.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I agree about the quality of The Wire.
And I can’t for the life of me understand why David Simon, the creator, is a Democrat. He knows how things are going down, he knows about the corruption, and he still pushes Leftist crap.

Yes on all points.
The Wire, along with True Detective (S1, to a lesser degree S3) was some spectacular story telling and visual art of the crime genre.

As for Simon, he's a talented guy, who's been at the head of successful series like Treme, and The Duece. You'd think he'd know better after all the years covering the criminal beat as a journalist, instead what we get is leftist bloviating, and scolding.

Posts: 14631 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
A few things. Simon was a crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun so he knows the beat. Ed Burns one of the writers and basically a co-creator was a Baltimore homicide detective.

The real Landsman is the guy who plays Lt. Melo. He’s also the basis for Det. Munch on Homicide Life on the Street (also a Simon show based on his book) and Law and Order SVU.

The Deacon (real name little Melvin Williams) is played by the real Avon Barksdale. He was released from prison around when the show was made and they gave him a role.

Det. Ed Norris is actually played by Ed Norris who was the Baltimore Police commissioner and later Maryland state police superintendent. He was also convicted of a felony and spent 6 months in jail for using state money for personal shit.

I want to enroll a Harvard just so I can take the course they offer on the Wire. Lots of the cast members make appearances.

Before The Wire Simon made an HBO miniseries called The Corner with similar themes and many of the same actors. You can find it on YouTube.

You can find a lot of The Wire actors now on Bosch on Amazon Prime.

And lastly I would like to say that Ziggy is a moron.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ok, The Wire is now my second favorite series.

Hamsterdam is pretty awesome.

The character development is awesome. Stringer Bell, Omar, Major Colvin.

Great story lines too.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post