SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    what are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are you reading? Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Free to Choose - Milton Friedman

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, 1818 and 1831 versions. Just started, but it seems different from "Young Frankenstein" with Gene wilder.....

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series. Actually having it read to me on my drive to work.

It's pretty good after you get a few chapters in. It's a Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones type book series.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series. Actually having it read to me on my drive to work.

It's pretty good after you get a few chapters in. It's a Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones type book series.

I read the first book and enjoyed it. A book I did just finish, which I loved, is With the Old Breed. Really good book and I think part of it was used for the pacific mini series

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reflections on the Revolution in France.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Prehospital Emergency Care 10th ed. Can't say I'm really enjoying it though.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Great trilogy, didn't care for the following trilogy as much though

Sanderson has some great novels

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I just finished re-reading, "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War," by Robert Coram.

I just started, "The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe," by Jay Stout.

Next up is, "The Last Season," by Eric Blehm.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone on here recommended "A man called Intrepid" so I am about half way done. Great so far.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
A couple of post-apocalyptic page turners:

The Wolves of Winter, Tyrell Johnson 2018 (just finished)

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel 2014 (started)

Kind of reminds me of The Stand, The Road, Fever, The Earth Abides, etc.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I just finished a foray back through Jack London’s “Tales of the North”, a collection of stories including “Call of the Wild” and “White Fang” as well as others.
Now I am about 1/2 way through “Methhusalah’s Children” by Robert Heinlein.
Both of these are books I’ve had for years. I read very few “new” books. I am comfortable re-reading what I know I like.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
“Freedom Betrayed, Herbert Hoover’s Secret History of the Second Wood War and It’s Aftermath”. Interesting history, heavily footnoted.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just finished the last book in Forstchen's EMP trilogy "The Final Day".

A page-turner for sure. I usually read "a bit" after I crawl under the covers, I was up til nearly midnight finishing this one. 8:30 is more my usual lights-out time.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I got Michener's "Centennial" on Kindle for $2.99, a bargain. Never looked at how long it was, just wanted to read it. Well, it's an 1104 page epic and may take me a year to read. I have several books on my library wish list, as they become available "Centennial" will be put aside. Liking it so far, I'm about a quarter of the way in.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

https://www.amazon.com/Churchi...ricks/dp/1250119022/

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Back to Hemingway again. This time his non-fiction treatise on bullfighting, “Death in the Afternoon.”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

https://www.amazon.com/Churchi...ricks/dp/1250119022/

I watched a documentary on that. Fascinating.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Now It Can Be Told by Philip Gibbs. Incredible.

On deck is The Fall Of The House of Zeus (part of my continued MS indoctrination)

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I just finished re-reading, "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War," by Robert Coram.

I just started, "The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe," by Jay Stout.

Next up is, "The Last Season," by Eric Blehm.

Picked the Boyd book up at the USAF Museum in Dayton in 2006, then proceeded to plow through it in about three days. It's also the book I have lent to other people more than any other. Fascinating person, and did a TON for this country. Also, who doesn't love a good rabble-rouser?!?

I read the Stout book a few months ago, it was also very good.

I have recently finished:

The German Aces Speak, by Colin D. Heaton and Anne-Marie Lewis. It had potential, but was told in a clunky manner, based on old interviews. Interesting nonetheless.

A Brief History of the Samurai, by Jonathan Clements. It should have been titled, A Utterly Ridiculous Brief History of the Samurai. I do not recommend it.

I am currently reading:

Expeditionary Force, Book 5: Zero Hour, by Craig Alanson. I LOVE this series, and the characters/story within it. Highly recommended.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post