SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    what are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are you reading? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

EXCELLENT read about the D-Day landings in Normandy. Full of first-person accounts, enemy and allied points of view, etc. He is an outstanding author. The book is 700+ pages long, but it's a very easy read. . .
Looks good - thanks. Number 6 on the library kindle wait list.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Stuck in a rut now, waiting for new books from the library. In the meantime, I reread favorites on my Kindle. Currently Off The Grid by C.J.Box, and Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" by James Gleick

On deck:
"Dark in Death" by J.D. Robb
"A Conflict of Visions" by Thomas Sowell
"A More Perfect Heaven" by Dava Sobel
"Messy: The Power of Disorder" by Tim Harford

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mercedes by King

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
"The Blessing Way" by Tony Hillerman.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
About to finish Enemy of the State by Kyle Mills. Have just started A Tale of the Grenada Raiders by Stephen Trujillo.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

EXCELLENT read about the D-Day landings in Normandy. Full of first-person accounts, enemy and allied points of view, etc. He is an outstanding author. The book is 700+ pages long, but it's a very easy read. . .
While I'm waiting for D-Day, I'm reading his
Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

Started this today. Excellent so far. His transcontinental book - Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69 was outstanding.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
7 habits of highly effective people... again

I’m quite sure it’s an old joke, if you’ll forgive me...at work, we used to call this book,
7 Habits of Highly Defective People. Had to take the course too

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
On Sunday I started and finished "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson. It will change my life. I highly highly recommend it.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

While I'm waiting for D-Day, I'm reading his
Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69.

Nothing like it in the world is by far my favorite Stephen Ambrose book. His Lewis and Clark book is great as well.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I've been on a Clive Cussler binge, interspersing his novels with my history reading. Last month, I finished "Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission." It's the factual account of the US Army Rangers rescue mission to save the 500 American Bataan POWs before the Japanese could murder them in the Philippines. It was an excellent book, but extremely depressing (it pulled no punches and described the Japanese cruelties and atrocities in detail). I had to read something light and non-depressing after that one, so I read "Flight - My Life in Mission Control" by Chris Craft (EXCELLENT!!!!) and then "The Bootlegger," by Cussler.

This is part of the Isaac Bell series - he's a detective in the 1902-1925 era. It's really educational despite being a work of fiction, as it gives an idea of what that time was like. I just finished "The Striker" (the 6th book in the 10-book series, so far).

https://clive-cussler-books.co...ry/books/isaac-bell/

I started "To War in a Stringbag" yesterday (account of a Brit Swordfish pilot in WWII). Really interesting so far.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
For the last week or so I've been working my way through The Longmire Mysteries. I'm currently on book 8. Great series. Quite different from the show which I also loved.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Finally, a book on my library waiting list came to the top. Will be picking up Robicheaux by James Lee Burke today.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Nothing like it in the world is by far my favorite Stephen Ambrose book. His Lewis and Clark book is great as well.
Reading Lewis and Clark now. Fascinating.

posted Hide Post
I just finished reading McArthur's War. It is fiction in that it is an alternate sequence of victories and losses different from what actually happened during the Pacific Campaign. No A bomb so there is actually an invasion of the Japanese home islands.

https://www.amazon.com/MacArth...-Japan/dp/1250053668

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Altered Carbon and Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth. Next up is One Year After by William Forstchen (let's hope Forstchen used an editor this time).

So a few pages in I realized I had already read One Year After. The fact that I hadn't remembered it is a testament to the quality of the writing, I'm afraid. Moved on to Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl by N.D. Wilson to be followed by No Middle Name - collected Jack Reacher short stories by Lee Child.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I just finished a biography, "Titanic Thompson, the Man Who Would Bet On Anything." Good read.

Getting ready for a couple of cross country flights and have a copy of "Neuromancer." Read it about 25 years ago.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Re-reading Around the World in 80 Days. Last time was over 35 years ago.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post