SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    what are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are you reading? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
I'm reading The Natural, by Bernard Malamud - 1952.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Shift, the 2nd book in Hugh Howey's Silo series. I recently finished the first book, Wool.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A Christmas gift. A first edition copy of “The Haj.” Uris

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Shift, the 2nd book in Hugh Howey's Silo series. I recently finished the first book, Wool.

I've got Wool too, struggling to get through it.

At the moment reading Gordon R. Dickson's second book of Dragon Knight series. Not normally a huge fan of fantasy but this one is fun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Re-reading the Track series by Jerry Ahern. Book 4 at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Origin by Dan Brown.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

EXCELLENT read about the D-Day landings in Normandy. Full of first-person accounts, enemy and allied points of view, etc. He is an outstanding author. The book is 700+ pages long, but it's a very easy read. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Rebel Yell. It's a biography of Stonewall Jackson

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden. Recommended reading!

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Cuban Affair by Nelson Demille. I highly recommend!

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth. Next up is One Year After by William Forstchen (let's hope Forstchen used an editor this time).

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Zora Arkus-Duntov, The Legend Behind Corvette.

Next up, The Moon Is Down by Steinbeck

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "In Harms Way", now killing time reading some Louis L'Amour. I've got 4 on my library hold list for my Kindle:

The Alienist
Collapse
City of Endless Nights - next in the Prendergast Series
Deep Freeze - next in Sanford's Virgil Flowers
series

A favorite from a bit ago: Killers of the Flower Moon, what an American tragedy, a very good read.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Encounter in Rendlesham Forest by Nick Pope, John Burroughs USAF (Ret) and Jim Penniston USAF (Ret) another classic UFO incident to add to my collection, one of the greatest in fact! Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir. I figured it would be tough to equal his book The Martian and, while Artemisstarted strong, IMO, it ran out of gas and was tough to finish.

I also just read Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick and thought it was excellent.

I'm just about to leave for vacation and picked up Xenophon's Cyrus the Great: The Arts of Leadership and War which was recommended by Ryan Holiday.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I read Philbrick's The Last Stand, about the battle of the Little Big Horn, last year and it was very good.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 habits of highly effective people... again

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Tribe of Mentors - Tim Ferriss

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I read Philbrick's The Last Stand, about the battle of the Little Big Horn, last year and it was very good.

Oh, good. I picked that one up at a Goodwill store, and it's on my "need to read" list (along with about 30 other books).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THE SNOWMAN by Jo Nesbo

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post