New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Below Zero Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Anybody watch this? Produce by the BBC and currently on Netflix.

Really good show of life near and above the artic circle, even with the overdramatization and "Blair Witch Trial" photographic enhancements.

They don't have issue showing how to process a small caribou or breast out a bird.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One of the folks on the shows posts to TFL.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yep, been watching for sometime now and enjoy it as sort of a plotless diversion from more scripted fare.
The dialogue gets repetitive but the landscapes are great.
Glen is my favorite.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glen and Andy are pretty cool. Sue is just nuts.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Started watching it last week. Been yelling at my screen a lot (at Sue, one of the most annoying, over dramatic people I've ever seen).

I really like Agnes but watching lots of what they do bothers me and I understand why people complain about how the natives hunt / are allowed to hunt. Like blasting away at seals with a shotgun and actually recovering one for every dozen they shoot/shoot at. Or shooting at a herd of animals.

It drives me crazy watching her shoot unsupported with that muzzle waving all over. Good lord, someone show them how to use shooting sticks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've seen an episode or 2,
guy with a Ruger bolt gun, sometimes suppressed (if this is the same show)

interesting how he is so isolated, and seems to like it that way,

I also like the way he points out that a misstep here, wrong move there, and not prep enough will get him killed

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched it sometimes, mostly when nothing else is on, but it is entertaining.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been yelling at my screen a lot (at Sue, one of the most annoying, over dramatic people I've ever seen).

Yeah, and that stupid hat she wears with the ears. She is originally from the Chicago area. I watch the show for the scenery, the dialogue basically sucks. Alaskan Bush people is more annoying than Sue.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas: Been yelling at my screen a lot (at Sue, one of the most annoying, over dramatic people I've ever seen).

You mean that 5 pound marmot isn't REALLY going to stalk and kill her?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife watched the first couple episodes last night (when Sue was getting back to her camp and checking for bears).

The wife is rooting for the bear(s) and all those predators "circling her camp, looking for weaknesses and opportunity to strike her down."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Poor Sue, death awaits...everywhere

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Watched a bunch of episodes until last year when I just couldn't stand listening to Sue anymore.

Glen and Andy are fun to watch and really have their crap together.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
One thing I can't get past while I'm watching it is wondering what kind of audio recording equipment they're using, or if they're re-dubbing it afterwards. There's so much footage in obviously windy, sometimes very windy conditions, but there's no wind noise.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Big Grin Poor Sue, death awaits...everywhere

That second or third episode when she gets back to her "tent", she claims someone stole her 30.06 but in episode nine - poof - there's a 30.06 hanging on the wall next to the 45-70.

I am thinking she forgot how much fuel she had, where she left the rifle, etc.

Oh an the guy who's wife is Agnes, he never touches a rifle, only she shoots. Claims she's a better shot. I am thinking he doesn't want to be photographed with a firearm in his possession. Wink

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that he "had a problem with the Alaskan State Troopers" Big Grin , nothing specific but yes, he seems to be a prohibited person. Also a lot of what they do he can't because he's not a native. Though I'm sure when no one's watching he probably does both. lol

Sue is terrified of bears and justifiably so. Then why does she live in a tent? She's surrounded by hard sided structures but lives a cloth one.

The repeated blaming of "climate change" on everything fits in with it being a BBC show. It's frustrating, one minute they're complaining that the river should be frozen over already and it's not, and it's climate changes fault. Later in the next episode, or the next, someone's talking about how "it never snows this early." Well which is it? Is it warm too late or cold too soon? It's BOTH! Climate change! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:Oh an the guy who's wife is Agnes, he never touches a rifle, only she shoots. Claims she's a better shot. I am thinking he doesn't want to be photographed with a firearm in his possession. Wink

In one episode this year, he is shown heading off for his jail time and leaving the family behind.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Sue is terrified of bears and justifiably so. Then why does she live in a tent? She's surrounded by hard sided structures but lives a cloth one.

I've also wondered about this. She spends countless thousands of dollars on construction equipment, Cat tractors and the like, plus custom made snow machines and other expensive gear, but lives basically in a tent. Then she complains/worries about running out of heating fuel as she tries to keep a canvas structure warm when it's 40 below with 50 mph winds. Not saying she doesn't need the equipment she buys, but good grief, I would think upgrading the main living building to something bear proof (Metal, brick r at least logs) with good insulation would be a top priority.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:Oh an the guy who's wife is Agnes, he never touches a rifle, only she shoots. Claims she's a better shot. I am thinking he doesn't want to be photographed with a firearm in his possession. Wink

In one episode this year, he is shown heading off for his jail time and leaving the family behind.

if it is the guy I think it is, he posts on gunboards as caribou,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've also wondered about this. She spends countless thousands of dollars on construction equipment, Cat tractors and the like, plus custom made snow machines and other expensive gear, but lives basically in a tent. Then she complains/worries about running out of heating fuel as she tries to keep a canvas structure warm when it's 40 below with 50 mph winds. Not saying she doesn't need the equipment she buys, but good grief, I would think upgrading the main living building to something bear proof (Metal, brick r at least logs) with good insulation would be a top priority.

Sue seems to lack basic common sense, reasoning and judgment. She has issues. The dramatic effect would be lost if she did things that were well thought out. Her stupid little drama belongs on Lifetime Network. I guess it is similar to the roles Jamie Lee Curtis used to play in the Horror Movies. I guess it provides a balance to some of the shows other characters who have some sense.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:Sue seems to lack basic common sense, reasoning and judgment. She has issues. The dramatic effect would be lost if she did things that were well thought out.

Pretty funny that she was out "scouting" for snow drifts she could use to get drinking water. During the excursion she got her Argo stuck in deep snow, but didn't have the presence of mind to fill her Rubbermaid totes right there.