SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lonesome Dove Book(s) Series Question - how to read
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lonesome Dove Book(s) Series Question - how to read Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
A news story I read recently that referenced the author of Lonesome Dove, mentioned that there is actually a series of Lonesome Dove Series books. Further it mentioned that Lonesome Dove was written first but is actually 3rd IIRC in the story timeline.

My question is How should I read this series, as it was released, or as the storyline plays out?

Thanks for your guidance.

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
According to wikipedia:

In order of publication
Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)
Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)

In order of internal chronology
Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
They are all basically "stand alone" books, read them in any order you want.

In my case, I didn't have a lot of choice. Lonesome Dove came first and the other three followed and I read them in order of their publication.

They didn't lose their appeal because they weren't published in chronological order.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Just read Lonesome Dove and don't read the others. They aren't worth it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Just read Lonesome Dove and don't read the others. They aren't worth it!

But do read Lonesome Dove; McMurtry is a great storyteller.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post