SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    My Concert Post--Red Dirt Country. Part 2. JJ Grey and Mofro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Concert Post--Red Dirt Country. Part 2. JJ Grey and Mofro Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
There's are threads now about Metallica, Kid Rock, and McCartney; I went to a show too. This past weekend, my wife and I joined family down in Buena Vista, CO for the first Seven Peaks Music Festival, put on by Dierks Bentley.

I'm indifferent about music festivals anyway, but our daughter lined up a VRBO and so we didn't have to spent the weekend camped out. We missed Friday's performances--90s Country. Clint Black, Terry Clark, and Sawyer Brown. We saw Clint just a month or two ago, and he puts on a great show. Would have been interested in seeing the other two, but we couldn't go down until Saturday.

I didn’t care too much about most of the Main Stage acts. Would have liked to have seen Miranda Lambert, but she didn't perform until Saturday at 10:00 pm. My wife and I stayed with our granddaughter.

I was really excited about only one act, Cody Canada and The Departed. His band performed at a side stage, apparently, to showcase lesser known acts--and there were some good ones.

I like a lot of different genres, and when it comes to "Country," I really enjoy the subgenres of Texas Music, Americana, and Red Dirt, which could be also labelled Alt-Country.

Cody Canada was primary song writer, lead guitar, and lead singer for Cross Canadian Ragweed, my favorite of the Red Dirt version of Texas Music. That band broke up, but Cody and the bass player, Jeremy Plato, have been touring with various configurations of The Departed for about 8 years.

If you search "Cody Canada, Seven Peaks" on YT you can see some perfs from Sunday evening.

Since he wrote 'em, they also perform some of the best know songs from CCR. Like this one.

About as good a show as I’ve seen in the last couple of years, and I’ve seen some good ones. High energy, enthusiastic crowd (singing along with the CCR tunes), and Cody was into the show as much as we were. It was just fun. If you like this type of music, make the effort to see Cody if they're in the area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I first saw your thread title, immediately came to mind one of my most favorite songs, and albums, by Emmylou Harris, Red Dirt Girl.
Sounds like a good show you attended.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

When I first saw your thread title, immediately came to mind one of my most favorite songs, and albums, by Emmylou Harris, Red Dirt Girl.
Sounds like a good show you attended.

I’ve been in love with Emmylou since the day I first heard “Boulder to Birmingham,” a long time ago. Seen her several times. My wife seems to be OK with it Wink

“Red Dirt Country” refers to music from Oklahoma, rather than Texas, especially centered around Stillwater (straight shot at Norman in the original, pre-PC, version of “Boys from Oklahoma”). Confusingly, there’s also Texas Red Dirt, but I’m not deep enough into it to define the difference between Texas Country and Texas Red Dirt. I will say that CCR often blurred the line between rock and country; Cody Canada blurs it further. Talk about underrated guitar players...

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The side stage is where I tend to hang out at most music festivals. The CMA fest in Nashville was always a fun one because the B stage acts preformed during the day and the main stage was at night so you could see both sets. Not sure if it is that way anymore but I used to love going to that one.

The best part was I went for work so I had premium parking, all access passes and the company paid for it all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm going to see Cody and the Departed in Asheville in a couple weeks. Tickets were only $10, so even though I'm not a fan of the venue I jumped on the chance to see him. I've been a fan since the Ragweed days, and never thought he'd come through this part of the country.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I'm going to see Cody and the Departed in Asheville in a couple weeks. Tickets were only $10, so even though I'm not a fan of the venue I jumped on the chance to see him. I've been a fan since the Ragweed days, and never thought he'd come through this part of the country.

Todd, you’ll have a lot of fun at his show—especially if a good portion of the crowd knows his music and gets him amped up.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Todd, you’ll have a lot of fun at his show—especially if a good portion of the crowd knows his music and gets him amped up.

I saw the Turnpike Troubadors there a couple months ago, and they killed it. The crowd was really into it, singing along with every song and dancing like fools. It was a good night.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Last night we saw JJ Grey and Mofro. Jeez, don't miss this show if they're in your area! I think he has one of the best voices out there. Song writer, excellent performer, super tight band.

I may have mentioned this before, I love the sound of a trumpet, and JJ has two in his band

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

posted Hide Post
I was just listening to one of JJ Grey and Mofro's CDs in the car the other day. Good stuff. Haven't seen them live yet.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Todd, looks like this was last weekend. Great show, huh

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Todd, looks like this was last weekend. Great show, huh

Awesome show! We stood at the stage and watched Cody from about 5 feet away. They played for around two hours. No opening act. They played a good mix of new Departed tunes, old Ragweed tunes and a few covers.

There wasn't much of a crowd, which was disappointing, but Cody Canada isn't exactly a household name here on the east coast. I can't figure out why a lot of the Red Dirt groups aren't much bigger than they are, there's so much talent out there.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention in my last post, next month we're seeing Reckless Kelly on the 9th and Turnpike Troubadours on the 10th. Two more great Red Dirt bands, back to back.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgot to mention in my last post, next month we're seeing Reckless Kelly on the 9th and Turnpike Troubadours on the 10th. Two more great Red Dirt bands, back to back.

I’d like to see those bands too. I’ve been a volunteer with Cheyenne Frontier Days since we moved to the area. I suggested to the Contract Acts Committee that they do a Texas/Red Dirt Music show on one of the Frontier Nights. I gave them a list of bands and suggested picking 3 from the list, giving each act 45 minutes. I think the show would be a hit. We’ll see if they follow-up.