SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Guitarists and musical types, a question...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitarists and musical types, a question... Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I'm going to throw this out there -

Don't take what any of us says as a hard and fast rule. A lot of us have found what we like by trying different things. And still are doing this!

We can guide you to quality guitars and what would be most suitable in a variety of situations or versatile, but you may find you like something all together different.

Enjoy the journey. Try as many varieties as you can. You may well find you like that Strat with a humbucker, or the Nashville Tele or an upside down Jaguar!

Duly noted!

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

This is true and I agree, but I’ll add a few caveats and qualifiers. I made a living for a while helping players find gear they were happy with. I’m no expert, but I know enough to get you in the ballpark of what you’re looking for. When I say “this isn’t the Strat sound,” obviously it isn’t a hard-and-fast rule, but I feel safe saying that my recommendations are a decent starting point.

Basically, yes, there are some hard-and-fast rules, but what you need to be aware of is opinion presented as fact, and in this realm, basically everyone does it to some degree or another. Some statements I’ve made would be seen as trolling on some forums, and a lively debate would follow. But anything I’ve said here along those lines is only intended to help get you in the ballpark of the sound you’re looking for, and I do try to speak in generalities. If it helps, view it as a shortcut to “the Strat sound.” Obviously there will be exceptions that prove the rule. Smile

P220Smudge,

If it were possible, I'd gladly supply some fat steaks and a bottle of bourbon, and I'd just shut up, stuff my face, and refill your glass while you took me to school for an hour and a half.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I'm planning to put this Strat on Reverb in the next couple days. If you're interested, let me know. It's a 2013 American Deluxe. It has a soft-V neck profile and N3 noiseless pickups.

It's in very good condition for 7 years old. If you have any interest I'll send more pictures to you and fully disclose a couple of very small dings. Otherwise, have fun in your search.

Hmmmm... TMats, that is most interesting. In truth, though, I'm a little ways off from making a purchase. I think I need to go exploring a bit, try some different neck profiles, etc., before I pull the trigger. Thank you, most kindly, for your consideration, but I would not delay your listing on my account. Once I get a little more hands-on with some Strats and developer a better idea of what I'm after, I may follow up with you to see if yours is still around.

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Yes, of course you need a Strat. A guitar players arsenal can't be complete without one. I have some with rosewood necks and some with maple. I really don't have a preference between the two but I do feel like it's a bit easier to play lead on maple. In case you're on a budget don't hesitate to look at Fender's Squire series. I've been shocked at how good some of them are.

Noted!

quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Oh buddy, you wont get much help here on the Wife, but I like what P220Smudge shares. I think everyone needs a Strat in their lineup. I have my Lovely Gibson Les Paul, numerous PRS, Teles, Marrtin,Taylor, Breedlove. They ALL have a place that is unique to each. GAS is strong..........I could very easily turn into a collector, well wait........... Check out Sweetwater.com, i think they are one of the BEST in the business, with a return policy that is STELLAR! its not that far from Christmas is it? shame on me..

https://imgur.com/a/nskHoCf

I really dig that PRS!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Yes, everybody needs a strat.

The only maple I'm into these days is roasted maple. I can't stand blonde maple fretboards.

There are tons of options in the $500 to $1000 range. Schecter is making some killer guitars these days. Check out the Nick Johnston signature series. Excellent value for the money.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post