SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert : Green for Danger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert : Green for Danger Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Here's an opportunity to see the fantastic Alastair Sim at his best.

In a sea of bad films, Green for Danger from 1946 is quite the pearl. It's a British murder mystery, probably one of the best ever, rather witty, with a great opening line and a great ending. Do yourself a favor and catch this one. 11:30 PM tonight on TCM.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I set the DVR.

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good, and a great plot. I thought I would not buy Sim as a cop, since I always think back on him as the best of all the many actors who have done Ebenezer Scrooge, but he aced the role.
I had never seen this movie before, thanks for the heads up!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
This movie is also available on YouTube.

Check it out, it's an excellent film.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's a British murder mystery, probably one of the best ever, rather witty, with a great opening line and a great ending.

I've always been a fan of Witness for the Prosecution which is another British murder/trial movie. How does this compare to that movie?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, Witness for the Prosecution is actually an American production, directed by Billy Wilder, produced by Edward Small (an American) and distributed by Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios. Unlike Green for Danger, which was an entirely British production and filmed in England, all of Witness for the Prosecution was filmed at MGM Studos in Culver City, California. The magic of movies and all that.

Aside from those differences, Witness for the Prosecution is an "A" picture, from the most prestigious studio in all of the world at that time, directed by one of the great directors- Billy Wilder- and contains superstar talents- Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich, whereas Green for Danger, as good as it is, was a much smaller production. It is only via TCM's occasional airing of the film that people know about it today.

In terms of shear enjoyment of these two films, I've enjoyed Green for Danger far more. Witness for the Prosecution- while absolutely worth a film buff's time- is a bit stodgy in comparison. There's very little humor in Witness for the Prosecution, but the wit and humor abound in Green for Danger.

Having said all that, I will say that anything in which Charles Laughton appears is worth a film buff's time. Laughton was the greatest actor of the 20th Century, eclipsing even the likes of Sir Laurence Olivier.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para! I’ll keep an eye out for it!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alistair Sim was great with his sly wit.

He was good in Cottage to Let (Gainsborough Picture) and the Inspector Hornleigh pictures with Gordon Harker.

https://www.youtube.com/result...ector+hornleigh+1939

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I never pick up on these in time; but I just rented Green for Danger on Prime; love British mysteries, classic ones even better!
A childhood favorite was Smart Alec, 1951. I had to look it up to be sure I had the right title, there are other movies by that name.

Watched Green for Danger last night, and we enjoyed it a lot. As Para said, there's subtle and even slapstick humor in it, thanks to Alistair Sim. It was interesting noting surgical equipment and technique in England in 1945. It was almost identical to (but a little more sophisticated than) what I saw in hospitals all over Russia in 1995.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
...and the Inspector Hornleigh pictures with Gordon Harker.
Coincidentally, this popped up just yesterday on youtube:

...and a couple more of these along with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-349zU6OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H5HyZuLPQo

Snatching these back from the dark pit of obscurity.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too took a queue from our leader and watched this late at night. I found the ending quite enjoyable. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, for those of us who don't have TCM, the movie "Green For Danger"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluRBp7al1I

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post