SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had varnish on the nose from new bottles. Sometimes a little bit of air made it better. Sometimes not.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I've had varnish on the nose from new bottles. Sometimes a little bit of air made it better. Sometimes not.

its been sitting about 3 years now... Im afraid to go back.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dump it or find an enemy to pawn it off on.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any ETL sightings?

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
We had ETL hit here in the middle of December and I managed a few bottles, but it dried up very quickly. I've been keeping an eye out since for forum member sureshot, but nothing. This allotment seemed much smaller than normal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Elmer T was in ATL early December I picked it up then. We also got Stagg Jr at the same time. I picked up a Stagg Jr earlier this week.

I am now at the point that I could be happy buying Buffalo Trace products that are readily available and not bother with most other brands. An occasional Four Roses or ECBP will be thrown in.

I had EHT small batch last night and it was a bit hot straight but with a little cool water it opened up nice.

I see this regularly on the shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute this for ETL. Especially considering this year's price of ETL was $39.99 . I believe the EHT small batch is at that price point.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Careful with the EH Taylor. I bought (and paid top dollar) for their 100 proof rye that was, quite honestly, the only undrinkable liquor I have ever bought. Smelled and tasted just like mineral spirits. Awful.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:
Anyone have any ETL sightings?

ETL has landed in AR - just ask sureshot45! Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Taylor rye is fantastic. Do you generally like rye?

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My shop is bare bones with anything special right now, except a few lottery-only bottles.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is willing to part with an ETL, please let me know!

Happy New Year!!!

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I big thank you to GeeTen, he found and sent me 2 bottles of ETL that came in today and I'm enjoying a glass currently.

Thank you to all the others who had an eye out as well.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

I drink a lot of ryes, although all I have on the shelf right now are Pikesville and Russell's reserve 6 yr. I tend to also prefer high rye mash bill bourbons in barrel strength.
The bottle of EHT rye I got was flat undrinkable. No one who tasted it (or even smelled it) would ever have put it in a bottle. You guys talking varnish on the nose, this was more like pure turpentine.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
quote:

I drink a lot of ryes, although all I have on the shelf right now are Pikesville and Russell's reserve 6 yr. I tend to also prefer high rye mash bill bourbons in barrel strength.
The bottle of EHT rye I got was flat undrinkable. No one who tasted it (or even smelled it) would ever have put it in a bottle. You guys talking varnish on the nose, this was more like pure turpentine.

I am really surprised by that, I think 46n2 said its in his top 4 ryes, mine as well. I never get that smell, I wonder if they bottled some bad swill or you got the switcheroo? I dont think pikesville or any of jimmy russels rye hold close to EHT. interesting.

I just checked mine, the nose on it is sweet vanilla with rye under-notes. I even did a tasting last weekend with non whiskey drinkers and they loved. Id call BTAC if I were you.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been polishing a few bottles from the bunker. Switching from many bottles to high quality. Finally below 80 to about 78ish.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find myself not stocking perfectly good bourbon simply because it's common.

I generally agree, but offer three cautionary examples to the contrary:

* Elmer T Lee was as common as most anything just a few years ago and under $30
* Baby Saz was nearly considered bottom shelf and under $20 just a handful of years ago
* and Old Grand Dad 114 was a no-name under $30 offering and quite common

The current situation regarding all three is pretty bad, and getting worse.

If you like it, regardless of cost or commonality, I suggest you stock it, and stock it deep.

Market forces and crafty bastards are doing their best to continue the Scotch-ization of Bourbon, and the days of truly good and not particularly expensive ones are numbered, which is a shame as that's been one of the very best parts of Bourbon all along, the lack of pretension and the lack of fancy bullshit, excessive and semi-artificial rarity, and high $$$.

I should have stocked what I like even deeper than I have (I had been trying to limit myself to simply always having 3 in my booonker for every 1 open bottle, which is plenty when availability and prices are stable and it had been workable given my choice to stock 20 different choices (which itself seemed super conservative, only 20, after all - like Deqlyn - I had around 60 open bottles). I now believe it would have been best to focus on fewer and 2-5x deeper, with the simple goal of being able to enjoy my favorites for many years and not get buttfucked by how the trends are going. Imagine the situation 20yrs from now, and even if the next batch of (whatever) in 20yrs is very good, it'll never be the same juice.

ymmv

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm thoroughly surprised by Captain's experience with the Taylor Rye. It and the Taylor Barrel Strength Bourbon are two of the best new to me things I've tasted in ages, and I wish I had cases of each. Tastes are subjective, but that one just sounds bad. I'd call.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
So what available affordable bourbons would you start stocking up on?

I have a local deal on WT Rare Breed at $10 / 375, so i am stocking up since i like it at 112 proof

They also have Elijah Craig Small Batch at $16, so picked up a couple as i like it too.

They also have Russels 10 for $25, and KCSB 120 for $37, might get that. Oh, and Bookers for $45 (Costco also hasbit at this price point.)

Eagle Rare and Four Roses single or small are also available at a fair price.

The BTAC collection is unfortunately hard to find and overpriced.

What else?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to stack deep make sure it's stuff you really like. There's no point in having cases of something you find just ok but got a deal on.

Your price on Rare Breed is really good. If you like Booker's you should grab it while you can. If you've never had it you should get one to try.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
So what available affordable bourbons would you start stocking up on?

I have a local deal on WT Rare Breed at $10 / 375, so i am stocking up since i like it at 112 proof

They also have Elijah Craig Small Batch at $16, so picked up a couple as i like it too.

They also have Russels 10 for $25, and KCSB 120 for $37, might get that. Oh, and Bookers for $45 (Costco also hasbit at this price point.)

Eagle Rare and Four Roses single or small are also available at a fair price.

The BTAC collection is unfortunately hard to find and overpriced.

What else?

You're getting some good prices and everything you mention is worth owning, some might be better values. Bookers is slated to raise the retail to $100 and cut production significantly, so it's certainly one I'd consider at $45 as I like barrel proofs.

Another choice for value that is slated to disappear entirely is Old Grand Dad 114. Try one, if you like it, stock up. I'm hearing prices are rising on this one as people find out it's not going to be around much longer.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post