SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Whats the verdict on the full proof?

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I haven't cracked mine open yet. Will post here when I do.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I had some 1792 BiB last night, very nice. The LLS has four bottles of 1792 Full Proof, I may buy one. A bottle of Weller 12 Yr has been cached in the pantry, the FP is on the wish list.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo: A bottle of Weller 12 Yr has been cached in the pantry,

I'd love to score a bottle or two of the 12 year.I keep seeing posts on Facebook about it being available in Texas. My son and his wife will be in El Paso visiting her family later this month, and I will have him on the prowl for some.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
tk13...I think I see a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on your barrel? My broski and I toured Woodford Reserve last month and I absolutely fell in love with their Double Oaked during the taste test. I rewarded myself a bottle last weekend and had a good draw during fire pit night. It is EXCELLENT!!!

Sidenote...Woodford is supposedly coming out with a Double Double Oaked in 2020. They had it in limited quantities earlier this year, but I was led to believe it would now be a regular product...not just produced in special batches.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
tk13...I think I see a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on your barrel?

Good eye, sir! I don't typically go in for Woodford products, but I am starting to appreciate the Double Oak (it is especially good when paired with dark chocolate). Most of the bottles are from Buffalo Trace with the exception of the Woodford Double, the Old Fitz BiB, and the 1792 Single Barrel (FOP Lodge 44 pick).

I have heard the rumors of the Double Double, and I will definitely try it when it comes out.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention the dark chocolate with the Woodford. The taste test at the distillery included their bourbon balls...created an ENTIRELY authentic flavor profile that was absolutely delicious!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone in the Norfolk, VA area is interested in Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled-In-Bond Bourbon, there were 5 bottles on the shelf 12/18/19 At the ABC store near the Norfolk Premium Outlets.

Posts: 331 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: August 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The good stuff has just gotten to VA. I snagged a bottle of Stagg Jr Eek . Big Grin There was also six bottles of Col E H Taylor Small Batch. Already had one so I left it for someone else and when I checked later in the day, it was gone.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
Whats the verdict on the full proof?

ETA: Both of the bottles I have are single barrel store picks.

I was able to score a 2nd bottle of Full Proof, so I opened one for a taste. I took a small taste of Special Reserve prior to the Full Proof as a point of comparison. The nose of the FP was slightly more intense than the SR, but the notes were the same. I picked up little of the oak and some vanilla and light spice. The legs were longer than the SR, as you would expect with the higher proof. Tasting notes were very similar. I picked up a lot of vanilla and caramel with more pepper than the SR. The biggest difference was in the mouth feel and the finish. The FP just provides more stimulation, and the finish is more complete and longer lasting than the SR.

All in all it is a very good bourbon. It has all the flavor that I love in the Weller family but provides a more robust drinking experience. The question is, does it command the extra premium that it currently brings? Personally, I don't think so. I was able to get both bottles at great bargains. One was straight retail ($45) and the other was at my liquor store's premium markup ($89). There's no way in Hades that I would pay some of the crazy secondary market prices that are out there.

I keep hearing that the supply of Weller products should catch up to demand in the next year or two, and prices should come down. Until then, I'll continue to nurse the product I have on hand. I'd still like to score a couple of bottles of the 12 year. Like I said in a previous post, I keep hearing that it is available in Texas. My son and DIL will be in El Paso for the New Year, so I will keep them on the lookout.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Texas has old strange laws regarding the distribution and sale of liquor. Including 'dry' counties. Fortunately there is not a state Ccoommiittee of Public Liquor Safety. But distribution is verbotten across county lines and even into the state in some circumstances.

For instance, a bottle of Bowmore Dor Moris scotch (sp) is available for sale at a Specs Spirits store in Houston (Harris County). Specs Spirits cannot transport this bottle THAT IS ALREADY OWNED from Harris County to Travis County for my purchase. Wait-what?? Specs owns the bottle, the transfer is intra-state... but transfer is forbidden? Even worse, Specs could not transfer the bottle from south Austin (Travis County) to Buda (Hays County); a distance of one or two miles.

Even Dumber, Total Wine owns a bottle of Bowmore Mizunara Oak Cask in New Jersey priced at $1,000.00. So I can work 20 hours of OT at $50/hour and request Total Wine to transfer the bottle from NJ to TX? Nope. For whatever stoopid fooked up reason that bottle has been exiled from Texas.

The import of the tale? The vendors of liquor must pre-evaluate what will sell where. I doubt that Weller 12 YR will be selling in EPTX.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A co-worker gave me a healthy sample of Blackened. A blend by the late Dave Pickrell for Metallica. Has bourbon, rye, and a 3rd un-named whisky, finished in black brandy barrels. This one has a lot going on, pepper from the rye, classic bourbon flavors, wood and a little smoke. I liked it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MRBTX,

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid question time-

Since a lot of the better bourbons have a cork vs screw cap, am I being overly or unnecessarily cautious in storing them on their side (like a wine bottle)?

I know a lot depends on how long that bottle is sticking around. Honestly, sometimes months, sometimes years. It depends on what's going on... The Pappy isn't an everyday drink Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You shouldn’t store a bottle with a cork on its side as the higher alcohol content of bourbon will destroy the cork. Screw tops can be stored in their sides but watch for leakage as the seal isn’t always great.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Anyone else tried Rabbit Hole distillery’s line. They are a relatively new boutique out of Louisville who built a modern distillery in the heart of Louisville’s “Nulu” district. I’ve only had their Straight Bourbon Whiskey, but they make a rye, a high rye content bourbon, and a sherry cask finished bourbon. I sure liked the bourbon.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
You shouldn’t store a bottle with a cork on its side as the higher alcohol content of bourbon will destroy the cork. Screw tops can be stored in their sides but watch for leakage as the seal isn’t always great.

Thanks.
Didn't think about the alcohol destroying the cork, I was thinking dryness.

However, I think the problem still best be solved by drinking the bottle faster!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
B&M got their new store pick of Maker's Mark Private Select in today. I was very impressed with their first store pick and am on my 3rd bottle so I wad really looking forward to the new selection.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

Whisky Advocate #1 whiskey of the year, so for $35 I thought I try it out. It's good especially for the price point. 13 years old, great nose, crazy long finish it stays on the palate for a long time. Tasting it neat my impression is spicy cola like Dr Pepper.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I bought the Dickel BiB for my birthday. It was okay, a bit too vegetative for me. Currently I am drinking a mix of about 1/3 Weller SR and 2/3 Redemption Wheated bourbon. Ralfy proclaimed the Deanston 12 Yr as his WoTY.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Anyone else tried Rabbit Hole distillery’s line. They are a relatively new boutique out of Louisville who built a modern distillery in the heart of Louisville’s “Nulu” district. I’ve only had their Straight Bourbon Whiskey, but they make a rye, a high rye content bourbon, and a sherry cask finished bourbon. I sure liked the bourbon.

Yes, its alright. Not worth the 53 bucks tho. Had a friend who liked it. Caution urself as im a snob.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post