SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys, I need help. I have access to 3 bottles of the Rhetoric 22 YO. They're $110 ea, and the reviews are somewhat mixed. Some rave about it (less trustworthy press), others less so stating it's just over oaked. The only Orphan Barrel product I own is Barterhouse, and I am pleased at $80.00, though I fought the temptation to buy a second bottle. With good stuff being really tough to get in VA, this might be an opportunity I'll regret not jumping on. Then again, I have several $80.00+ bottles that just don't make the grade.

BTW, I heard that Booker's will be almost doubling in price. Here, it will go from $55 to $100.00. Confidence in the rumor is high. They will be cutting production by about a third and going to allocation. If you like it, you may want to snap some up. Come to think of it, I might be better off with 2 bottles of Booker's instead of Rhetoric.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I posted an article about suntory raising prices on bookers after Berto mentioned it. Thats confirmed.

As far as rhetoric i cant help you. Ive had orphan barrel, not bad, ive had whoop and holler which was over oaked. I bought a forged oak for a friend i will get to taste eventually but im under the impression its all stitzel juice leftover from the sale. Ive been passing on this crap and have gone super snob lately so avoiding it.

But i will say if you think youll regret it than buy it. I was at that point until i bought enough that sucked and the regrets rolled the other way. My recent BTaC ER17 purchase was regretful but am hoping to trade a stagg or WLW for it. Worst case ill keep it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Id like to breathe some life into this thread, seems slow but im impatient.

What is your favorite four roses recipe?

I am drinking OESV a toddys liquor store in bardstown pick. Its exactly as described? Im really interested in OESO opinions but love to hear your all thoughts. Ive had oesk, oesv, obsf, obsk

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My default position at this point is this: pretty much all Bourbon over 20yo is over oaked. Are there exceptions, sure, but IMO they are few and far between. Further, really, about 17yo is the top end of effective aging as far as I'm concerned, with the sweet spot being somewhere between 8-15yo. Even when I've had good ones that were older, only once or twice was the taste difference proportionate to the cost difference. I'm simply, generally, unimpressed, and largely I think the push for Bourbon aged beyond 20yrs is a mistake.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
thanks for the heads up on Bookers,

I may slide by an ABC store and grab a bottle or 2,

not bourbon, but a friend gave me a bottle of jack single barrel tennessee whiskey,

not good at all, doubt it would even be good in a good chocolate pecan pie,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhetoric isn't worth it. It's over oaked, over filtered, under proofed, and altogether forgettable which could be said of the entire Orphan Barrel line. I think Barterhouse is the best of the bunch. I didn't hate any of them but they're all meh. If you like Booker's spend the money on Booker's instead. Or better yet buy a case of OGD 114 since it's going away.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
What is your favorite four roses recipe?

The Q yeasts are my favorite but I've had great pours from all. I generally prefer the higher rye recipes but I've had great lower rye pours too. I know, helpful. Honestly just find a shop with a person who has a palate that lines up close to yours.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Rhetoric isn't worth it. It's over oaked, over filtered, under proofed, and altogether forgettable which could be said of the entire Orphan Barrel line. I think Barterhouse is the best of the bunch. I didn't hate any of them but they're all meh. If you like Booker's spend the money on Booker's instead. Or better yet buy a case of OGD 114 since it's going away.

Wtf!!!! Ogd 114 gone? Thats like a best value play. Man i hate beam

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, you probably prevented me from making a mistake on the Rhetoric. I'll spend it on Bookers and OGD 114.

I haven't a lot of the Four Roses Single Barrel, however, I did pick up a hand picked barrel selection of OBSV. It's one of the best 3 or 4 whiskies on my bar, but I couldn't tell you whether it's the yeast, high rye content, or simply because it was hand picked.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Four Roses recipe I have a OESF that is barrel strength, private barrel store release. I posted it a bunch of pages ago. It is very tasty with butterscotch being the dominant flavor. I know I have had the V and K but I can't say I remember them like I do this F. The strange thing is this recipe is stated on their website that F is only for yellow label. Yet I'm pretty sure there is a 9 or 10 year age statement which you wonder how the barrel got to that age?

I've had really good luck with private barrels I opened an eagle rare private store barrel this past weekend and it was great. Very tasty at $30 it is a steal of a deal.

I really didn't enjoy the orphan barrels I've had. Forged Oak was like chewing on my son's baseball bat it was awful. Way over oaked . Barterhouse didn't trip my trigger and for $65 for a 750 ml is not a good value.

I'd rather buy a store selection of an eagle rare or EC for less than $30.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Y'all have probably seen it, but here is a guide to the 10 recipes (two mash bills and 5 yeast strains) of Four Roses Single Barrel.

http://sippncorn.blogspot.com/...w-10-recipes-of.html

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

not bourbon, but a friend gave me a bottle of jack single barrel tennessee whiskey,

Just a reminder, lyman, the lottery for Old Rip is this Thursday, so be sure to go on line and enter. I enter 13 family members as well.

Also, Elmer T Lee is hitting stores, so you may want to go to the website and locate some. Knowing when the stores get their trucks helps, so you can check the website that morning and figure out who to call to reserve you some. Most here are Thursdays, but I found one in the country that got theirs today, so I drove 30 minutes to buy 3 bottles at $34 ea.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Just a reminder, lyman, the lottery for Old Rip is this Thursday, so be sure to go on line and enter. I enter 13 family members as well.

Also, Elmer T Lee is hitting stores, so you may want to go to the website and locate some. Knowing when the stores get their trucks helps, so you can check the website that morning and figure out who to call to reserve you some. Most here are Thursdays, but I found one in the country that got theirs today, so I drove 30 minutes to buy 3 bottles at $34 ea.

I have 2 ETLs, Big Grin

posted Hide Post
If anyone would be willing to snag an extra bottle or two of Elmer T. Lee while doing your own shopping please drop me an e-mail. I'm on a few different list locally but don't expect to be at the top until next year some time.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I don't need any more, so I'll keep my eyes open, sureshot. It's the shipping that kills it, but ETL tends to be priced lower in VA than in free market states.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I don't need any more, so I'll keep my eyes open, sureshot. It's the shipping that kills it, but ETL tends to be priced lower in VA than in free market states.

Thanks, last bottle I saw locally was $50 plus our outrageous tax of ~16%.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
If you can get Blanton's you are better off buying Blanton's at $50 or so. ETL at $30+ with $12-$15 shipping isn't worth it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
If you can get Blanton's you are better off buying Blanton's at $50 or so. ETL at $30+ with $12-$15 shipping isn't worth it.

Blanton's is ~$65 after tax here. I like having a bottle of ETL and knowing I most likely won't get one locally for a year or more I don't mind paying the shipping to have one for personal consumption. My last bottle got sacrificed to a small get together with friends.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I bought rebel yell 10. A wheater for 45 bucks. I avoid NDPs normally but saw a 90 rating and sourced from elijiah craig. I wasnt impressed had a good start, is 100 prof, but lack luster finish.

Ive realized i am becoming a snob.

Tonight is HW: yipee ki yay. Rye finished in vermouth barels. I dont like vermouth but trying to get thru this one!

posted Hide Post
^^^ how is the Reb 10 yr? Not widely available on the best coast. Heard good to middling things.