SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Anyone else tried Rabbit Hole distillery’s line. They are a relatively new boutique out of Louisville who built a modern distillery in the heart of Louisville’s “Nulu” district. I’ve only had their Straight Bourbon Whiskey, but they make a rye, a high rye content bourbon, and a sherry cask finished bourbon. I sure liked the bourbon.

Yes, its alright. Not worth the 53 bucks tho. Had a friend who liked it. Caution urself as im a snob.

Got it for much less than that at a Costco, Mr. snob.

Posts: 13223 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a bottle of Belle Meade Sherry Cask Finish Bourbon a couple weeks ago and finally opened it. Very smooth bourbon and is becoming a favorite.

Still haven't opened the bottle of Pot Still and E.H. Taylor Small Batch yet though that I picked up around Christmas. I'll finish some of the others first.

I'm a gadget geek and if you like to add ice and you've always wanted clear ice I bought a clear ice maker off of Amazon for $32 that works and makes really cool crystal clear 2.75" spheres. It took a little tinkering but I found that if I use room temperature bottled water, fill it as recommended and don't shake the freezer as they are freezing they come out crystal clear. Shaking causes air bubbles if the molds are agitated. The only downside is it takes about 30 hours or so in my freezer and my freezer is attached to the refrigerator so you have to be careful going in and out until they are done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Tap water works fairly well but mine must have too many impurities in it because they came out about 80% clear. Going to try room temperature water run through a Brita filter next.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I snagged a bottle each of EH Taylor Small Batch, and Stagg Jr. today. Both very good, in my extremely inexperienced opinion!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got together for a session with some friends tonight. Got the chance to drink some memorable bottles and knock one off my bucket list.

The most recent George T Stagg gets ripped in some circles for being lower proof than usual but it was really good. Very cohesive and the flavor punched through the heat. A solid pour.

Early 90s 12 yr old Turkey continues to shine. Classic Turkey funk but well balanced with just enough sweetness. I’ll never get tired of this.

Wilderness Trail is a newer distillery but they’re doing things the right way. Tried a 4yr single barrel rye that was not betrayed by its youth. Tasted older. Looking forward to what’s next.

Got to try a Bourbon Valley distilled in 1974 and sent to Japan. It’s a birth year bottle so it automatically has a place in my heart. Very good but not something I’d drop $800 on.

There was a lot more but I’m tired and a bit faded. Peace to all y’all.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I snagged a bottle each of EH Taylor Small Batch, and Stagg Jr. today. Both very good, in my extremely inexperienced opinion!

I had both this weekend at the hotel bar where I’m staying, really liked them with Stagg being a little better for me. Also tried a Booker which I loved.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

I haven't seen this one discussed here before. Wild Turkey, kY spirit, which I believe is their single barrel version of rare breed. This was bottled in Jan 2020. Something I've never seen before when I popped the cork which had a noticeable 'pop's there was a white / smoke like vapor in the neck of the bottle. This is really good.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at a birthday party for a good friend, and snatched up a bottle of "Barrel Bourbon" for him as a present. He opened and shared, glad he did!

+/- $90 a bottle.

Worth every penny!

https://www.barrellbourbon.com

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8331 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anybody on this forum a BT FotT? Anybody plan to be in Frankfort on April 3?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
So rather than start a new thread, I'd thought I'd discuss what bottles do you have open in your cabinet and what will come out of reserves first.

For some Pennsylvania folks liquor stores are closed (I believe) others who may be at high risk are likely only going out for food (my case, my wife and daughter are on immunosuppressants).

Open bottles in order they will be consumed,
Dickel 13 or Bib almost empty
ECBP
Bakers 7 single barrel
George T Stagg

In reserve
Dickel bib
EHT small batch
Sazerac Rye x2
ECBP x2
Blantons x2
Eagle rare x2
Wild Turkey Ky Spirit.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
North Carolina will turn into a package store effective today.
You come to the door, it will be locked, and an employee will let you in, one at a time. They walk with you through the store, you point to what you want, the employee will pick it up and bring to to the front desk, you check out, and the next person comes in. Only thing the customer touches is the credit card machine.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since watching the NCAA Tournament is not possible, DirecTV has been running the movie Bourbontucky on several channels, if you have DTV you can watch it on your phone, pc, etc.

Probably a good idea to have a glass ready and preferably a cigar in hand

This documentary covers the centuries-old production of Bourbon, particularly in Bourbon County, Kentucky. It includes the myths, facts, and the rising popularity of Bourbon bars.
Along the way one learns about the making of the copper stills, the growing of the basic ingredients, and the making (and recycling) of the oak barrels. And then there are the fascinating people involved in the process.

Bourbontucky Link

Posts: 23360 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a Bourbon but it is a very interesting whiskey, made here in Atlanta. I bought some after a tasting event. I can't describe it better than this:

"Georgia's 1st-Ever Double Gold Whiskey, Duality is also the world's 1st whiskey to mash, ferment & distill malted rye and malted barley in the same batch.

Duality is the crossroads where the fruit, spice & robustness of rye meet the smoke of a Highland-style single malt.

Notes of honey, toffee, stone fruit, and a dusting of smoke."

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did some quick napkin math and at 1oz/day I have enough on hand for 23 years. I'm in an Islay mood this week so no bourbon.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
As if Van Winkle wasn't expensive as it was, a Veteran in Florida just paid $40,000 for one of the limited bottles of 25yo ORVW.

The asking price was $20k but they were being charitable to the seller, a restaurant trying to keep itself and employees afloat.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13...rant-trnd/index.html

Even $20,000 is absurd but whatever. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a local liquor store Friday and my eye caught a bottle of Woodford Reserve Master Collection Batch Proof on the top shelf behind the counter. I have never seen a bottle like this so of course I had to pick it up. Guy said they get 2 bottles a year. They also had a bottle of the Oat as well but I left that one for someone else.

One of these days I'll crack it open but at 123 proof I think it will need a cube or two in the glass.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Finally opened up my bottle of E H Taylor
We shall see....

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2912 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
BT has released the 18 Year Marriage Col EH Taylor BiB. MSRP is $70. I read on the 'net that secondary pricing is as much as $2,000. A probative visit to a few of the LLS determined that the probability of buying a bottle us pretty much zero.

So I bought a consolation bottle of Early Times BiB and its surprisingly nice. I still like the 1792 BiB more but the ET would be a re-purchase.

I also saw a Justified bourbon but did not examine it.

Any info on Broken Fence, Broken Thorn, etc?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5961 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I found a bottle of Weller 12 at my backup liquor store the other night. Their selection is usually mediocre and I only go there to buy marg supplies bc its on my way home. I instictively grabbed the bottle but then my eyes fell upon the price tag... $189.99. It is most likely still there if anyone is interested.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do like Weller 12, but not that much!!! I would definitely pass on that one.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No way. It's excellent $30 whiskey. Maybe $40.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post