SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice price/score.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Just got the call. 12 yr lot b. Smile best 65$ ever

Nice score, great price! Wink

Sorry about the 2017 Parker's Heritage 11yr, tho'. My palate didn't get too much oak (which isn't a bad thing compared to the ORVW25's "splinters on the gums"). Eek

Picking up my 2017 GTS at the "Fun Unicorn" tasting at Julio's Liquors later today. We'll be trying all of the 2017 Pappy/BTACs - ORVW10, 12yr Lot B, PVW15, PVW 20, PVW23, WLW, GTS, Saz18, and ER17. Don't know if or why the VWFFR or THH is not included, tho' - I'll have to check. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Not to worry Geeten! Different palates and such! I still needed a PHC for my collection! I shouldnt be surprised that it tastes like Elijiah Craig, lol.

Good luck! Hope you score another wlw!

There is no van winkle rye this year. All the vatted stuff is gone and the new BT batch is only 12 yr.

Another range report, tried the 25yr entrapment. REALLY smooth. I dont like the flavors on canadian whisky but if you like caribou crossing or pendelton 20yr you wont be disappointed.

Also had high west midwinters nights dram act 5 scene 2. Really good this year. Tried it vs last year and boy did they miss the mark in 2016. Very close to the 2015.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also had high west midwinters nights dram act 5 scene 2. Really good this year. Tried it vs last year and boy did they miss the mark in 2016. Very close to the 2015.

What? You have a HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2? Quelle surprise! Eek

I'm already thru my first bottle and it surely IS a "WINNAH"! Big Grin

TTFN,
F.
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

What? You have a HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2? Quelle surprise! Eek

I'm already thru my first bottle and it surely IS a "WINNAH"! Big Grin

TTFN,
F.
8-)

Hahha. I have 3! A backup, a gift, and my drinker! About to put the 2015 to rest this weekend. Only 2 oz left.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic from the Fun Unicorn Tasting of most of the 2017 Pappy/BTAC offerings held at Julio's Liquors in Westboro, MA yesterday:

And my notes (from dubious memory and handwriting):

1) Old Rip Van Winklel 10yr - nice caramel on the nose, bright flavors on the palate with a medium finish that warms but doesn't burn going down.  Wonderful dram served neat with bright notes of caramel and toffee.   Medium to long finish with just a few jagged edges going down.  A real pleasure.

2) Lot "B" 12yr - more subtle than the ORVW10 on the nose, flat notes of caramel and smoke (?) on the palate with a disappointing finish that was fairly "blah".   Not a great example of what Lot "B" can be, IMHO.

3) William Larue Weller, 12yr 6mo, 128.2pf (64.1% ABV) - WOOF!  Huge nose of burnt caramel that follows with a smooth but subtle candy accent on the palate.  Finish is looong and delicious with just a touch of leather and dust that warms all the way down to the chest.  WOOF!  Am I glad that I scored one in the TW lottery this year - not as hot as the 2016 release (140.2pf) but eminently more drinkable neat!    Cool

4) Pappy Van Winkel 15yr - now that's what I like in my Pappy!  Big, bold caramel nose that promises more than it's proof might lead you to believe.  Burnt toffee with a hint of chocolate on the palate followed by a medium to long finish that eases its way down to your soul.  For me, this is my PVW "wheelhouse" pick - too bad I didn't get one yet this year (but I still have a half bottle left over from last year!).

5) Eagle Rare 17yr 3mo, 90pf (45% ABV) - surprisingly dull (maybe because of where it was in the line-up following the WLW and PVW15?).   Light on the nose with hints of vanilla on the palate, but heavier wood (oak and cigarettes?) notes on the medium finish.

6) Pappy Van Winkle 20yr - huh, another disappointment.  Darker color the either the PVW15 or PVW 23, but not much oomph on the palate.  Finished with a wet cardboard note that wasn't very pleasurable.  Bad bottle/barrel maybe???  Glad I didn't win this one in the lottery!

7) Pappy Van Winkle 23yr - subtle caramel nose with layers of light chocolate (?) and spice on the palate.  Wood and leather notes on the medium to long finish.  Elegant, nice but more like a fine wine reaching the end of its half-life.   Even at MSRP, might be a trophy rather than a "drinker" - I'd still buy it, tho', if I got the chance just because . . . . . 

8) George T. Stagg, 15yr 3mo, 129.2pf (64.6% ABV) - WINNAH, WINNAH, Chicken Dinnah!  OMG, huge nose of dark chocolate and caramel followed with intense chocolate candy and dark roast coffee on the palate.  Long, long finish with leather reins and oak showing very prominently as the warmth spread throughout "mah whole being!"  Did I mention how happy I am that I got one of these in the earlier lottery???  $124.99 OTD!  Big Grin    

9) Sazerac 18yr, 90pf (45% ABV) - again, maybe a victim of its place in the line-up, but a nice rye, nonetheless.  On the nose, very prominent notes of rye spice and cloves.  On the palate, I got hints of Chinese All-spice (go figure) and some wood.  Not a long finish, but very satisfying (particularly for the rye lovers among us).  Just didn't do much for me after getting blown away by the GTS.

So, there you have it (for what its worth) - my recollections of the tasting and my scribbled notes (that got more illegible as the day wore on).  The good news was that Julio's sold the Pappy/BTAC collection that they got for affordable (!?!) prices at or near MSRP.  And they were willing to share a taste of them all to about 80 people at the Fun Unicorn Tasting.  You can also check out the video spoof of the tasting on their Facebook page. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

posted Hide Post
Good notes and a nice tastinng. Your BTAC notes match what I've heard from friends who have tasted this years lineup. WLW and Stagg seem to be the standouts. ER is underwhelming and the new stock Saz doesn't measure up. I get my first chance at buying a bottle tomorrow. Gonna focus on WLW and Stagg.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up! So who wants to trade for my lot b now? Big Grin

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice lineup and notes.

I almost always feel that way about ER if I'm drinking anything else good.

If I was stranded on an island with nothing but - it would be pretty great.

But, invariably, everytime I've bought a bottle, I'm bored before 1/2 is gone.

posted Hide Post
Landed a Saz 18 today. Really would have preferred WLW or Stagg but I'll take it for now. Idiots are paying big dollars for it so it might get turned into something else and some walking around money.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Landed a Saz 18 today. Really would have preferred WLW or Stagg but I'll take it for now. Idiots are paying big dollars for it so it might get turned into something else and some walking around money.

Deqlyns acquaintance is chasing a Saz18 pretty badly...

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Berto, straight up saz18 for a stagg? Friend is still looking.

Edit: Can do WLW or GTS. Actually prefers the WLW but either work.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Let me circle back in a few days once I get the Saz delivered to me. Don't want to make any deal until I have bottle in hand.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

Let me circle back in a few days once I get the Saz delivered to me. Don't want to make any deal until I have bottle in hand.

Sounds good. No worries if not.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds good. No worries if not.

FYI, Deglyn is a man of his word, even if you make the wrong deal before having your first coffee in the morning! Wink

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the kind words Geeten! I am considering another liquidation here soon Smile Trying to stock up on some ORVW or get a Weller. Unfortinately my friend is only looking for a Saz18

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Interesting opportunities in the VA Lottery this week: Booker's RYE, Parker's Heritage, and 4 Roses Ltd Edition. At $299 the Booker's is a little rich for my blood, but at $129 ea., I'll go after the other two and see what happens.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Interesting opportunities in the VA Lottery this week: Booker's RYE, Parker's Heritage, and 4 Roses Ltd Edition. At $299 the Booker's is a little rich for my blood, but at $129 ea., I'll go after the other two and see what happens.

I'll trade you a bottle of GTS for that Booker's Rye if you're interested. This particular bottle is from 2010 or 2011, I'll have to look when I get back home. IIRC it's the 143p from 2010.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

I'll trade you a bottle of GTS for that Booker's Rye if you're interested. This particular bottle is from 2010 or 2011, I'll have to look when I get back home. IIRC it's the 143p from 2010.

Dude... you promised me the GTS for that glass I got for you... Rememeber the Mileage adds up! Big Grin Wink

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Smile