SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Recently back from KY. Picked up an EC18 and Old Fitz 9yr. Other then that, not much around. Didnt hunt this year but did purchase a '13 stagg recently.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The first bottled in bond in Iowa since prohibition.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
This is my affordable pleasure when I can find a bottle:

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:

Find a liquor store who maintains a list of “good customers”.
When the Blantons arrives they call you and you pick it up RIGHT AWAY so they don’t call the next person on the list. They can do the same with Pappy’s but that’s a helluva price jump.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
haven't bought many bottles lately but was down at Bud n' Alley's in Seaside a couple of weeks ago and they had a nice selection. Stagg Sr for about $30 a pour which wasn't too bad for bar prices.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania's liquor is sold only through state owned stores, so getting limited or small batch bottles of bourbon goodness is through the luck of a lottery draw. They will do several different Limited Release Lottery drawings for PA residents only when something comes out. The current lottery had six or seven possible spirits, some with as few as two bottles available and some as many as 120 or so. I submitted my entry, as I always do. Just got the notification that I was selected for a Weller 12 year! Price is regular PA retail too, so it's I think $49.95 for the bottle. Plus PA tax, shipping and handling on top. Not too bad, I am happy. This is the 4th time out of about a dozen lotteries that I have been selected. The first was an Old Rip Van Winkle that was shared with friends at my daughter's wedding last April, the second was a Taylor 4-grain that is still unopened, and then I hit a George T. Stagg during the Buffalo Trace Heritage lottery. Still waiting on opening that one too. I have been dying to get a Weller 12, when I travel out of state I am always looking but never seem to find any, so this is excellent!! Makes up for a crappy week so far!

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:

Find a liquor store who maintains a list of “good customers”.
When the Blantons arrives they call you and you pick it up RIGHT AWAY so they don’t call the next person on the list. They can do the same with Pappy’s but that’s a helluva price jump.

Words of wisdom!

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a small bit of good fortune this weekend. I was out in the Philly area and poking around on the PA LCB web site, you can search for inventory. We get Blanton's in dribs and drabs but there's no clear time of year that I can tell when the state might get some in. I checked and had a few scattered returns of single bottles here or there but when I checked them out to verify in stock, was not having any luck.
Leaving the area, I went west to grab some dinner and popped into the state store near West Chester, where the web site had shown one bottle in stock. I didn't see any on the shelf, and so I asked at the counter and the woman there walked to the back office area and brought back one boxed bottle of the stuff. She had it set aside, was the last bottle from the single case they had gotten in. So I was able to get that.
Being curious on the ride home, I checked out the dump date on the bottle when I stopped for fuel.....6/4/2019. My birthday! I just thought that was a really neat coincidence. Smile

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Well, I scored two bottles of Col EH Taylor Small Batch. Mighty fine. Even the Weller SR is uncommon now.

Anyone seen other Taylor BiB bourbons?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Well, I scored two bottles of Col EH Taylor Small Batch. Mighty fine. Even the Weller SR is uncommon now.

Anyone seen other Taylor BiB bourbons?

Yes, up north in the New Hampshire state liquor store yesterday. Two (2) CEHT SiBs for $59.99 ea. OTD. Also picked up a couple of bottles of New Riff Kentucky Bourbon for $39.99 ea., too. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of Colonel Taylor small batch for a while. I'll put that bottle up against bottles that are twice as expensive any day.

I just introduced the Colonel to two guys I work with and are Bourbon fans. I think I created a monster!

I recently tried Larceny.
Nice.
Not great, but nice. Slight Carmel flavor in the beginning.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Finally gave Blade and Bow a try. It's ok but definitely overpriced at $45. Obviously they've got the Stitzel-Weller gimmick and the solera aging gimmick. The booze itself is decent but not particularly rich. Starts sweet, hits you with some cinnamon, then has kind of a quick fruity finish.

Best thing about it, probably is the packaging. Handsome bottle and the dangling key is kinda cool.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you like wheaters the Redemption Wheated Bourbon is very very nice. 45% wheat in the mashbill. I may get a second bottle if it has not sold out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
This has become my favorite lower priced rye, talk about a pleasure from start to finish. About $35 and made here in GA

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Just got the call on Friday that I got drawn for the Pappy Lottery here in Idaho. Unfortunately, it was only for the 10yr Old Rip Van Winkle, same stuff I got drawn for about 5 years ago. I did buy it, and it appears MSRP has gone up, as it was $69. I still have half of the previous bottle left. Confused

They released more Blanton's recently too, and picked up a couple more, now I'm up to 5 bottles in reserve.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
So I've told this story before, my BM store puts out rare stuff on the shelf the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Last couple of years I've gotten Pappy lot b. This year I went early and got a Stagg. $118.79 out the door.

In the box was a letter from BT with the specific info on the release.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Lucked out om my last Caribbean cruise. Stopped in the duty fee at the dock and they had a whole shelf of Blantons.
I picked up Two bottles of their Single Barrel,one bottle of their Gold and one bottle of their Straight From The Barrel.
Cost me just under $400.00 dollars total. I won't drink the Gold or the Straight from the Barrel till I have back ups because they are hard to get. My wife said drink them you spent the money.
Been drinking Larceny Bourbon as a great backup.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Lucked out om my last Caribbean cruise. Stopped in the duty fee at the dock and they had a whole shelf of Blantons.
I picked up Two bottles of their Single Barrel,one bottle of their Gold and one bottle of their Straight From The Barrel.
Cost me just under $400.00 dollars total. I won't drink the Gold or the Straight from the Barrel till I have back ups because they are hard to get. My wife said drink them you spent the money.
Been drinking Larceny Bourbon as a great backup.

stopped by my local ABC Store this morning (sale, 20% off any order total over $100) and asked about ordering (we have a cyber monday sale,, order online over $100 and get 20% off) Blanton's or Buffalo Trace,

the clerk just smiled and said Sorry,

hardly any to be had in this state

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently finished (yet another) bottle of Col Taylor Small Batch.
Now, its my "go to" Bourbon.

I grabbed a bottle of Weller Special Reserve and a bottle of Leadslingers Bourbon Whiskey "thin blue line".
I gotta say, the Leadslingers is surprisingly good. There's a hint of orange, warm, not a lot of a sting.

I was able to sit and enjoy it after everyone went to bed in front of the tv and watched "Neat" on Hulu. A nice 75min documentary on our favorite of the brown liquor.

https://youtu.be/SBSzom7RbCs

Not a bad way to end a long work week.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
In October, my wife and I ordered a refinished barrel at a craft show in Bardstown, KY. We picked it up last weekend, put it in the basement, and I loaded it up with some of my "good" bottles.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post