SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
While traveling, found Wild Turkey Kentucky Select. It's terrific, some of Jimmy Russell's best.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I'm going to pick up some "local" bourbon the next time I'm in Bardstown, possibly this summer. Wink

I have more experience with Scotch than Bourbon. Usually I add a few drops of water to my Scotch to open it.

I assume most Bourbons proof higher than Scotch, so is it common practice to cut Bourbon slightly?

I don't like Scotch with ice, or mixed with soda, BTW.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
To be defined as bourbon it must be bottled at 80 proof, but in reality, few are that bottled that low. Most are around 90, but barrel proofs broach the 130 mark. What I like about barrel proof is you get to decide how much water, i.e. what proof, does it for you with a particular bourbon.

The Stagg Jr. I was inquiring about earlier is just over 131, I believe, and reputedly very hot neat. But, add the right amount of water and folks are saying very nice things about batch #3.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm actually drinking the current Stagg Jr. this evening.

regular Stagg tastes even better, but I like the Jr also.

at least now there's another Barrel Strength option.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'm actually drinking the current Stagg Jr. this evening.

regular Stagg tastes even better, but I like the Jr also.

at least now there's another Barrel Strength option.

Thanks, 46and2, that's all I need to know. I called and have 2 bottles on hold for pickup later this afternoon. Current meaning batch #3, 132.1 proof? There seems to be a more positive consensus on #3. Tried the other two?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I called and have 2 bottles on hold for pickup later this afternoon. Current meaning batch #3, 132.1 proof? There seems to be a more positive consensus on #3. Tried the other two?

I have a bottle of batch 3 that was very harsh on opening. It's settled down and improved with air time. Have fun.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Get past the burn, and the flavors are wild. I get concentrated candied apple and berries on top of toffee and caramel. Absent medicinal flavors despite the attack. Very unique sweet hot thing at higher proof. Smooth and tasty knocked down, but more fun and challenging at the stiff end. Very dark red color is your first warning. It's the only bourbon I own where you can't see through the bottle. Proof on this one us 132.2.

I like it.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The hits just keep on coming. One of the Orphan Barrels, Barterhouse, hit the stores yesterday. I got a call from a friend alerting me, otherwise I would have missed out. The reviews were mixed, most were trying to justify the price, but for a 20 year bourbon, $85.00 is probably on the cheap end. I think it's very, very good, if not quite great at first blush. Little bit of everything up front, but not quite the mouth feel, depth and long finish you feel like it should have. A lot of reviews comment the proof may be a little to low at 90.2, but I can't say I think that observation holds true of this release.

The others are from a package store in Kingsport, TN called B&B. They make trips to the distilleries to taste and hand pick barrels. So both the Buffalo Trace and the 4 Roses are hand selected single barrels. I was curious about these two because I didn't really care for the "generic" versions of each. Still settling in, but dramatic difference, no question. The 4 Roses has anise on top clear as a bell. This bottle of BT is far less oaky, but still picking out the flavors.

Also found and bought another bottle of Stagg Jr. The first one just disappeared. I couldn't stop myself. Wink

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Go for it. Ya can't take it with you and that money won't spend itself. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Might need some help drinking this, Jim. Not a lot, but some.... Cool

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
which Mash combo is your Four Roses Single Barrel?

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Has anyoned sampled the new Woodford Reserve Rye yet? I'm interested in some, feedback..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Has anyoned sampled the new Woodford Reserve Rye yet? I'm interested in some, feedback..

I bought a bottle a few days ago, being that their Bourbon is one I always keep around, and my first impression was positive. In a few days I'll do a vertical tasting and compare it against the other Ryes I keep on hand (Baby Sazerac, Van Winkle, Willett 4yo, Taylor, and Thomas Handy).

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might need some help drinking this, Jim. Not a lot, but some.... Cool
That's what friends are for! Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley, aged 9 yrs. 11 mos. I didn't know they might have different mash's.

Also, I had an opportunity to pick up a bottle of Whistlepig 10yo rye. After reading some of the reviews, that may have been a mistake, but it was nearly as pricey as the Barterhouse. Did I screw up?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley, aged 9 yrs. 11 mos. I didn't know they might have different mash's.

Four Roses has ten different Mashes, used in various mixes, and their Single Barrel Expression has been released in several combinations. One of my favorites is called OBSV and another is OBSK... Yours will have a similar four letter combination on it somewhere.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Four Roses has ten different Mashes, used in various mixes, and their Single Barrel Expression has been released in several combinations. One of my favorites is called OBSV and another is OBSK... Yours will have a similar four letter combination on it somewhere.

Sure enough "OBSV" on the label on the side. I noticed it when looking the bottle over, but, of course, it meant nothing to me. Fascinating that there would be so many different recipes. Most companies wouldn't risk their brand like that. The product could be perceived as inconsistent by consumers, but I suppose the strategy is to create sub brands attractive to bourbon lovers. Still risky.

I've taken to trying pours when going out to dinner, so I tried 4 fingers of the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, a frequently recommended bourbon here on the forum, which I quite enjoyed. It almost possessed the sweetness if a wheater, which really complimented the crispy fried catfish and buffalo sauce, cheese grits and tart slaw. Another very good option in the mid $30.00 range, and they are stacking up.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
1792 is in my top 4. It runs about 26 here. I was in tulsa awhile back and they had it and elijiah craigh small batch for 20 bucks. I should have stocked up.... kinda like missing ocean aged jeffersons for 34 bucks 5 months ago.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn: kinda like missing ocean aged jeffersons for 34 bucks 5 months ago.

Whaaaaat!!! Eek

Oh, Deqlyn..... Frown

No opinions on the Whistlepig, huh?

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Since no one has said it: Great Karma. Count me in!! Big Grin

I lubs me some good whisky. But usually only buy it on special occasions.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post