SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
MMCS at $50 lately. I can be pretty happy with that for a long time.

Everything else I see is lottery only.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
MMCS at $50 lately. I can be pretty happy with that for a long time.

Everything else I see is lottery only.

Watch it cause it swings. It went up to 60 again then back to 34$

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've been really tempted to try the Old Forester Whiskey Row series. I here the 1897 and particularly the 1920 are worth the price. Anybody try them?

MMCS is $49.99 here.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Old Forester 1920 is worth buying. Not a fan of the rest of the lineup.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Jacket if you want ECBP let me know, I left some on the shelf. It is likely gone from that store but I'll likely see it elsewhere.

I will second the Old Forrester 1920, i liked it.

So I see the antique collection and lots of HTF stuff discussed here. And maybe that's your everyday pour, but if not what do you guys drink that you don't have to chase? I gave up chasing years ago. I also gave up good brands that have seen prices sky rocket. I saw Baby Saz for $37 yesterday. That was $20 just a few years ago. Same with ETL, why pay $40 for it when you can pay a little more and get Blantons.

For me I drink Stagg jr., ECBP, EHT small batch, and I keep buffalo trace for old fashions.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jigray the prohibition was really close to OFBB2016. It was better than OFBB2017. Once I thin the heard it will probably be my daily drinker. I just domt drink daily anymore let alone once a week.

Gator, prolly prohitbion and makers cask if I ever wittle down the collection.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Non-chase expressions that I'm into:

BabySaz, Elmer, ECBP, MMCS, KCSB, OGD114, Woodford Reserve

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Non-chase expressions that I'm into:

BabySaz, Elmer, ECBP, MMCS, KCSB, OGD114, Woodford Reserve

We have to chase BabySaz, Elmer, and ECBP. They are not lottery, but are "allocated". Most stores have gone to first come first serve, one per customer, and so few bottles they are gone a few minutes after the stores open. Probably made worse by the fact the each store gets it's weekly delivery the same day and same time each week.

My non-chase choices are Bookers, 4RSB, KCSB, Blanton's, Russel's Reserve Single, and lately Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Sounds like I'm adding OF1920, thanks to SF.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Elmer now goes for 80 on secondary. Lol what a crock. I dont like it so much thankfully but it sold out in 1 hour yesterday at the largest liquor store we have.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I forgot about Booker's (I switched to KCSB a while back), and 4RSB, both of which I love, along with most anything from 4R... Yellow, SmB, whatever, it's all good Bourbon to me.

And I enjoy Blanton's a bunch, I just never buy it and stick with Elmer.

Same with several from WT... I very much enjoy WTRB, Russell's, even plain old WT101, but if I could keep the Japanese release of WT101 15yr in stock I'd skip the rest of them.

I've yet to have an Old Forester that I like. I guess I'm weird that way.

Henry McKenna 10yr BIB is pretty good, too.

And Bulleit, especially the 10yr.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
This is a long shot. But does anyone have a saz 18 that they are looking to trade for something of equal value? I have a friend who is looking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Jacket if you want ECBP let me know, I left some on the shelf. It is likely gone from that store but I'll likely see it elsewhere.

I will second the Old Forrester 1920, i liked it.

So I see the antique collection and lots of HTF stuff discussed here. And maybe that's your everyday pour, but if not what do you guys drink that you don't have to chase? I gave up chasing years ago. I also gave up good brands that have seen prices sky rocket. I saw Baby Saz for $37 yesterday. That was $20 just a few years ago. Same with ETL, why pay $40 for it when you can pay a little more and get Blantons.

For me I drink Stagg jr., ECBP, EHT small batch, and I keep buffalo trace for old fashions.

How much was ECBP retail? And honestly I've never been a huge fan of the EC line, though I haven't had the BP. I'm just really not into paying upwards of $75 for hardly anything. I would pay $40 for a bottle of ETL, though.

My everyday (I don't drink anywhere near everyday) drinkers are MMCS, Eagle Rare, and Knob Single Barrel, and usually WT101 for cocktails. All are on the shelf every time I ever step into my shop.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
ECBP was $61.00.

I am also not an everyday drinker. I am once or twice a week. Those four bottles I mentioned will last me till spring.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They last me quite a while these days, too; I only average 3-4oz a week most weeks, with a few sessions of Wine drinking scattered about the year, and it's usually a bottle or so (2-5 bottles total shared between a small group), and a few weekends of Margaritas or the like if I'm at the lake or some similar social gathering. I do love tequila, and it loves me back.

posted Hide Post
EC18...have the opportunity to buy and have never tried it. For those that have had it, is it worth the $129?

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:
EC18...have the opportunity to buy and have never tried it. For those that have had it, is it worth the $129?

I wasn't a fan of EC18 when it was $40 so there's no way I'd pay $129. That said it's probably as good an example of long aged bourbon as you're going to find and the price reflects the reality of the current market. I found it too woody for my taste but you might find otherwise. The other long aged options available are from the Orphan Barrel lineup and having had most of them I'd advise buying the EC18 unless you can find a Barterhouse.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

I wasn't a fan of EC18 when it was $40 so there's no way I'd pay $129. That said it's probably as good an example of long aged bourbon as you're going to find and the price reflects the reality of the current market. I found it too woody for my taste but you might find otherwise. The other long aged options available are from the Orphan Barrel lineup and having had most of them I'd advise buying the EC18 unless you can find a Barterhouse.

Agree with Berto. too woody. But if thats something you like then by all means. If you like say woodford double oak. You're in for a treat with the EC18.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

Agree with Berto. too woody. But if thats something you like then by all means. If you like say woodford double oak. You're in for a treat with the EC18.

Not really a fan of the over-oaked bourbons. I may get it for trading purposes.

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In the bourbon dictionary next to Over Oaked is a photo of EC18.

I don't care for it at all, no matter the price, but clearly some people like it, they've been selling it for years now.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Hey, biggsig, email in bound. The guys are right, just a glass of dry fire wood. For that reason, I didn't bother with the lottery for the EC18 this year. I don't know of anyone who has tried it and thinks it's worth a fraction of the asking price.