SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is Woodford Double Oaked a good bourbon?

Don’t know about the Woodford, but I’ve been buying Jim Beam Double Oak. Inexpensive, but quite good. I like an “oaky” taste and this bourbon has that in spades. Very smooth.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Hey boy-yos.

How goes the bourbon chase. Its just kickin up!

Berto, 46n2, Jimmy, Geeteen. Lookin at u!

Heard THH20 is the best per breaking bourbon review.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I've been away for a while, but my day to day bourbons are still Elijah Craig, WTRB, and when I can find it Blanton's or Baker's 107. Maker's Cask is good, when I can get it.

I tend to be a 50/50 Bourbon and Scotch sipper, so Talisker 10 or Oban always in the mix, or sometimes Lagavulin 16.

Serious lack of interesting bourbon at realistic prices around here! No Weller (I take it back. For $249 I can pick ip W12.)

Enjoy

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is Woodford Double Oaked a good bourbon?

If you like the regular Woodford Reserve you will love the Double Oaked. I prefer it over the regular Woodford Reserve.

it's the wife's favorite,

just picked up another bottle yesterday

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Picked these up, likely open one Thanksgiving the other Christmas.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Havent tried it yet gator so report back.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My haul from the last 6-7 weeks in the Cincinnati area.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Blanton's worth the money? Not terribly expensive at 70 bucks a bottle.

In my area the stuff is so hard to find it sells out right away and takes over 6 months to come back in stock.

Can't understand why they can't make more and why it's not readily available the stores around here would sell more if they could get more inventory.

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Blanton’s is quite good, and runs a little under $60 a 750 ml bottle here. Odd thing is two 375 ml bottles is a little cheaper than the 750. Worth the money is subjective, there are other choices for the same price or less I prefer, but will still occasionally buy a bottle. Blantons is a BT flagship, and was, I believe, created by their former Master Distiller, Elmer T Lee and was the first bourbon to be marketed as a single barrel. I’d like a bottle of Blantons Straight From the Barrel before I kick this mortal coil.

Making more is complicated. First is it ages 6-8 years, so it takes a while to respond to demand. Second, it is aged in Warehouse H, which is the only one BT has that has metal siding which ages the bourbon faster. Lastly, historical demand for bourbon has been notoriously boom/bust, so demand outstripping supply is a comfortable spot for distillers.

I managed to find a bottle of the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel, and really didn’t care for it initially. It has really changed over the past 4-5 weeks with a little O2 sitting on it. I still prefer the EC Barrel Proof, but I also prefer the ECBP to their 18yr as well.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jiggray, good to hear from ya!

Last time i toured Buffalo Trace, 2019, the guide said Blantons and nearly everything that isnt age stated go dropped about 2 years. So instead of 6-8 they said its more like 4-6 to keep up with production. BT used to be 8-10 now its 6-8. I have tasted a 2006 blantons someone had stacked and I can confirm it was much better back then with more depth. Of course the boom wasnt happening then. The 1984 henry mckenna was a beaut too! Pre fire.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go with what jigray3 said. Though Blanton's is good, I much prefer Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Unfortunately, it only seems to come around once a year here in Virginia and I haven't seen any this year. If I could only have one bourbon (in unlimited quantities of course) for the rest of my life, it would be ECBP. Sure it's high octane, but man o man, is it delicious.

A suggestion for you dfens: if you can get a hold of some E H Taylor, just get that. A bit (but not much) easier to find and well worth the $40 I pay for it here in VA. Also, try some Eagle Rare. Not quite as complex but about $9 cheaper.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
My haul from the last 6-7 weeks in the Cincinnati area.

Damn, you are set for at least a month.....maybe more!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
After looking off and on for 6+ months I finally scored some Blanton's this morning. It just so happened that I was close to my go to store and called to check in. They usually get three bottles if they get any at all, but yesterday they got a case.

If anyone is close to Athens, Georgia and wants to check to see what's left it's at J's Bottle Shop on Prince Avenue.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Picked up a little book 4. Heard its a nice cinnamon bomb and the breaking bourbon boys gave it a 4 star review. Ill try it at the bar before opening it. Didnt like 1 or 2.

posted Hide Post
Took a chance on Ezra Brooks yesterday; I was very pleasantly surprised. It’s pretty damned good for an inexpensive bourbon.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
odd thing is, Buff Trace and Blantons are limited to one bottle per person, no orders, if you can find it in an ABC store here in VA,

I was in NY back in July and talked to a guy that worked in a liquor store that said he had not seen any in a good while,

and yet, with Buff Trace, a friend that lives in SW VA can cross the border into NC and buy it in the state owned stores there, just about any time

I also know guys in Wisc and Abq NM that have seen case stacks in local stores,

the last bottle I had was from a guy in Wisc (we did some horse trading)

eta,

only store showing inventory in the VA ABC system is in West Point, they have both the 1.75 and 750ml in stock now,

if I left work and drove down (maybe a 1-1/2 -2hr drive,) they would be likely be out

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Tons of Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 in SW Ohio Mon/Tue. Even some Eagle Rare and the Sharonville store claims to have received a case (3 bottles) of Elijah Craig 18. All three were snagged by those in line this morning. Sharonville even has BT, although not as much as the Weller they received.

Weller at Giant Liquor in Pisgah, McCauley's off of Fields Ertl Rd, Weller Special Reserve at Lehr's in Milford, and Sharonville.

As I posted in another thread, I was in line with a guy from Louisville and one from Lexington yesterday. They came to Cincinnati because they heard there was Weller.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Picked up a bottle of the 2020 Maker's Mark Limited Release today. Along with another of my local Private Select. This was their second edition and though it was not good as their first, it's still an excellent variation on MM.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^Saw a bottle of Makers 101, should I go get it? BTW, sent you an email last week YJ, you get it?

On a side note, we spent a few days in NOLA last week. We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone, nice place. One night I noticed they had a bottle of Pappy 20 year, never seen it or had it. I knew it would be expensive, thinking $50 for an oz. I got my Pappy in a plastic cup and a bill for $175 Eek I'm also a 20% tipper.. OOPS.

We weren't allowed to drink at the bar, to go only because Plandemic. The wife even let me off easy, she's awesome

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Damn!!!!!!

I am relatively new to the wonderful world of Bourbon.

How was the Pappy? As a newbie, would I be able to tell a shot of Pappy from lets say a $55-$75 bottle? What would you compare it to?

I get the hype and would love to have a bottle. In the State of Ohio, it is by lottery, once or twice a year.

I am just not sure I would be able to appreciate the difference.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve