SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I need to break open the wallet and order both some Gold and SFTB, but the shipping is hard to swallow. which of those 2 do we like better, and why do you suppose those are export only?

I prefer SFTB but I'm a bit of a proof whore. Regardless, I prefer to add my own water rather than paying for it.

Blanton's is made by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac but owned by Age International/Takara Shuzo. Ownership decides distribution and for whatever reason only regular Blanton's is available in the U.S. Here's some background on the ownership who and why if you're interested:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.c...it-was-worst-of.html

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Haven't had the SFTB but I like the gold much better than the original. Most likely STFB wont be available.

places I have bought are mostly nikolls and perks in the UK or Hedonsim Wine. Prefer Nikolls.

I have heard SFTB was just fire and undrinkable from someone who likes higher proofs. Can't speak to that really, perhaps they got a bad batch.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:

I prefer SFTB but I'm a bit of a proof whore. Regardless, I prefer to add my own water rather than paying for it.

Me too. But I like the consistency of Blanton's Gold from bottle to bottle (103 proof in each 70cl bottle vs. barrel proofs that need varying amounts of water to proof down). Some SFTBs are great neat and some, not so much. But both are better than the regular bottles, IMHO. Big Grin

And maybe I'm just getting old and lazy. Frown

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well well, I won a drawing from the 4R distillery and won a signed barrel head. It came in today.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Deq. Any plans for it? That would look nice next to my bottle of Elliott's Select.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
My new friend - met him at Julio's Whisk(e)y Week on 2/25 and got to spend 15-20 minutes talking Four Roses. I was pouring several of his Loch & K(e)y Society store pick FRSiBs and his people told him about us in another room. Wink

I'll be in Bardstown, KY at the end of April for a bourbon function and he invited me to stop by for a tour of both Four Roses facilities. Really nice guy. But he didn't promise me a signed barrelhead. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Probably going to sell it. Need to raise capital for the biz. The last one sold in 2015 at 227$ but was made out to someone so prolly round the same price. 250 shipped.

Hey im sure he might sign one if you buy it!

Also have some cool whiskey prints i need to get up to sell from my trip.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Looks like the gift shop has barrel heads (color logo and laser engraved) for reasonable prices. Will get one and ask Brent to autograph it for me.

Thanks for the idea, Deq. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Got a Wild Turkey Master's Keep as a gift yesterday for doing a favor for a friend. I'm not a Wild Turkey guy and know it's not something I'm going to open. Have the pristine box it came in, too. Big Grin

Anybody have some Weller 12, 11yr Belle Meade SiB CS, Blanton's Gold, or ??? they'd like to trade? BTACs would work, too!

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail; my addy is in my profile. It would be a shame to let this beauty go to waste. Wink

Many thanks,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that one Geeten! Nice gift price wise but I didnt think it turned out as great as I hoped. They shoulda done it up as a 101 or cask!

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Ha ha - WTMK for a couple of handles of Weller 12s seems like a bargain to me!!! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So I'm a registered scotchaholic. I love a great Speyside single malt and don't mind a few Highland malts. I really love any whisky that's spent time in a sherry oak cask. I outright despise Islay scotches. The peat smokieness makes it drink too much like rubbing alcohol. The only exception to that rule I've found was the Bowmore 15yr which was also aged in sherry casks.

I'm starting to experiment in American Whiskey but I have no idea where to start. The nice thing about Scotch, or my new favorite Yamazaki 12, is that they tell you what they do different than others and why you should buy it. With most of the American whiskies, they're like wine in that you have the brand and legal requirements with nothing else.

I can tell you I really like Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki blends. I like any Macallan that's been in a sherry cask. I currently have a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 Year that I quite like. I love the sweetness that it has and the fact that unlike most US/Bourbon whiskies, it's flavor first and burn second. I've had Elijah Craig 12 Yr and was what I didn't like about bourbons. I have liked Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniel Single Barrel. Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek has been so-so. Not bad, but nothing I'd rebuy.

I've been interested in trying Jefferson's Reserve in either the Cabernet Cask or the Ocean aged, but I've never had any or found places to try it. I do like my whisky older and darker than the younger, lighter drams.

With all of this in mind, where should I start looking and trying?

Posts: 4106 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

at a bar with a good bourbon list...

seriously, the fun of it all is in the discovery. I don't know how to even analog the bourbon world with the scotch world as the flavor profiles just don't really overlap much for me.

Eagle Rare is an age-stated 10 year old blend from Buffalo Trace Distillery. I believe it is basically an older blend of Buffalo Trace, which is a low rye mashbill, but not wheated. It is bound to be a bit sweeter but it still retains some rye spice. George T Stagg would be the premium of this mashbill, I think.

There are a couple ways you can go... search the different mashbills... high rye, low rye, wheated, or you can start looking for some higher proofed, single barrel, or barrel proof bourbons in the same mashbill profile that you like. I suggest the former, actually. Taste as many blends as you can... coming from the scotch world where the proofs are typically lower and the flavors more earthy, high proof bourbons are something you may want to ease into. Not to mention they get expensive.

Do some research and if you find some you like, try to figure out what it is you like about them.... here is a good place to start: https://docs.google.com/docume...xrE8BurIxeSNfBk/edit

All that said, here are some good, economical bourbons to try with a range of flavor profiles.
wheaters:
Makers Mark, Weller 12
low rye:
BT, ER, KC, Evan Williams Single Barrel
high rye:
Old GrandDad, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, most Four Roses

https://modernthirst.com/home/...-whiskey-mash-bills/

also, prepare to wade through all of the silly gimmicks of the bourbon world. "small batch" means basically nothing. single-barrel, on the other hand means what it says: it came from a single barrel and barrels weren't blended. This means the flavors could have some variation between bottles. Furthermore, barrel proof means it is bottled at the proof at which that it came out of the barrel, not watered down to another proof.

Also, learn your acronyms Smile
https://docs.google.com/docume...dqO-RnKZe5ap83c/edit

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
What's everyone's take on Jefferson Reserve? Where does it fit on the scale? Belle Mead Sherry Cask 9yr and any variety of Westland Whisky.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's everyone's take on Jefferson Reserve? Where does it fit on the scale? Belle Mead Sherry Cask 9yr and any variety of Westland Whisky.

Believe Jefferson's products are sourced or at least partially sourced.
The ocean aged stuff is a dumb gimmick. Regular Belle Meade is fine, nothing special imo. Haven't had sherry cask. Never jad Westland.

Here's some reading on "sourcing" and some of the gimmicks and downright lies out there about "craft" and "small batch" bourbons. https://www.pastemagazine.com/...crafted-or-sour.html

For clarity, there's plenty of sourced whisky that tastes just fine out there. Just beware of the "stories" they all tell.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

at a bar with a good bourbon list...

seriously, the fun of it all is in the discovery. I don't know how to even analog the bourbon world with the scotch world as the flavor profiles just don't really overlap much for me.

Eagle Rare is an age-stated 10 year old blend from Buffalo Trace Distillery. I believe it is basically an older blend of Buffalo Trace, which is a low rye mashbill, but not wheated. It is bound to be a bit sweeter but it still retains some rye spice. George T Stagg would be the premium of this mashbill, I think.

There are a couple ways you can go... search the different mashbills... high rye, low rye, wheated, or you can start looking for some higher proofed, single barrel, or barrel proof bourbons in the same mashbill profile that you like. I suggest the former, actually. Taste as many blends as you can... coming from the scotch world where the proofs are typically lower and the flavors more earthy, high proof bourbons are something you may want to ease into. Not to mention they get expensive.

Do some research and if you find some you like, try to figure out what it is you like about them.... here is a good place to start: https://docs.google.com/docume...xrE8BurIxeSNfBk/edit

All that said, here are some good, economical bourbons to try with a range of flavor profiles.
wheaters:
Makers Mark, Weller 12
low rye:
BT, ER, KC, Evan Williams Single Barrel
high rye:
Old GrandDad, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, most Four Roses

https://modernthirst.com/home/...-whiskey-mash-bills/

also, prepare to wade through all of the silly gimmicks of the bourbon world. "small batch" means basically nothing. single-barrel, on the other hand means what it says: it came from a single barrel and barrels weren't blended. This means the flavors could have some variation between bottles. Furthermore, barrel proof means it is bottled at the proof at which that it came out of the barrel, not watered down to another proof.

Also, learn your acronyms Smile
https://docs.google.com/docume...dqO-RnKZe5ap83c/edit

If you see Corner Creek bourbon (in a wine bottle), or Kentucky Pure XO, both are low cost bourbons, but both have great value too. Kentucky pure is only sold in 8 states (from what I was told), and Corner Creek has been made by a few distillers, but it is currently sourced from Heaven Hill.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jefferson's is a clown show. Their earliest stuff had some real bangers because they were able to buy other folks leftovers that were good, available, and not crazy expensive. The market moved and now Jefferson's is selling other folks mediocre stuff for a premium and doing silly shit on boats. Their own stuff is in the works. They're an easy nope.

Belle Meade is alright. I've heard good things about the sherry finished stuff but haven't pulled the trigger.

Westland is American single malt. Think scotch not bourbon. It young and pricey but not bad. The value proposition on the three entry bottles is tough given the quality of scotch available for the same price or less. I prefer the pleated then the standard then the sherry but I like peat and am finding I'm not really into sherry so much. The peat covers some of the youth. You might find a taster set of the core range that has 200ml bottles of each of the three expressions. It's a good way to taste all three without committing to full bottles. The single barrel releases are even more expensive and range from good to great. They're pushing it price wise and you should try before buying or at least do some research.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, I did get a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Cabernet Cask, and I quite like it. It has the traits of Eagle Rare that I like with a bit of grape/cherry flavor that isn't syrup (I can't stand syrupy booze). At that price, it's probably not going to be a rebuy, but I'll probably enjoy the bottle. So far, I'm thinking I like low rye mashbills, but I'm not sure if it's the rye I'm not fond of, or if I had some high proof bourbons/rye that disagreed with me.

If Deqlyn still pops in, what part of Kansas are you in? I'm in KCMO and if you know any good spots to try bourbon, please let me know. The best drinking spot I know is Osteria Il Centro, but they're more of a scotch place than a bourbon place.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

Jefferson's is a clown show. Their earliest stuff had some real bangers because they were able to buy other folks leftovers that were good, available, and not crazy expensive. The market moved and now Jefferson's is selling other folks mediocre stuff for a premium and doing silly shit on boats. Their own stuff is in the works. They're an easy nope.

I have to second this thought. Jefferson's bought quite a bit from MGH, and that was their initial runs, and none was distilled, or aged by them. They did however blend the barrels they had purchased. When we were there in August, they told us that 20% of their product in barrels in their own juice, the rest is purchased in bulk, or distilled at other distilleries. The only place other than MGH that was taking on outside white dog (new make) runs was Barton distillery. Evan Williams/ Heaven Hill only has very small side contracts (such as Pure Kentucky mentioned above), and those were once a month type batches. Buffalo Trace said they do not have any outside production for others, as did Four Roses and Makers Mark. Willet does special runs for others (several a month), and the only other big distiller would be Jim Beam.

There are some small batch, micro distilleries that put out some good product, but typically they have very expensive price points.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So I'm a registered scotchaholic. I love a great Speyside single malt and don't mind a few Highland malts. I really love any whisky that's spent time in a sherry oak cask. I outright despise Islay scotches. The peat smokieness makes it drink too much like rubbing alcohol. The only exception to that rule I've found was the Bowmore 15yr which was also aged in sherry casks.

I'm starting to experiment in American Whiskey but I have no idea where to start. The nice thing about Scotch, or my new favorite Yamazaki 12, is that they tell you what they do different than others and why you should buy it. With most of the American whiskies, they're like wine in that you have the brand and legal requirements with nothing else.

I can tell you I really like Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki blends. I like any Macallan that's been in a sherry cask. I currently have a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 Year that I quite like. I love the sweetness that it has and the fact that unlike most US/Bourbon whiskies, it's flavor first and burn second. I've had Elijah Craig 12 Yr and was what I didn't like about bourbons. I have liked Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniel Single Barrel. Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek has been so-so. Not bad, but nothing I'd rebuy.

I've been interested in trying Jefferson's Reserve in either the Cabernet Cask or the Ocean aged, but I've never had any or found places to try it. I do like my whisky older and darker than the younger, lighter drams.

You and I would be scotch buddies. I have a small collection of four dozen bottles.