SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Picked up heavenhills henry mckenna. 30 bucks 10 yr 100 proof. Heard it aint amazing but is decent. Will try tonight.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
I know it's not bourbon, but should I open up the Yamazaki 12 (a gift) before I finish my bottle of Yamazaki 18? Decisions, decisions . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
I know it's not bourbon, but should I open up the Yamazaki 12 (a gift) before I finish my bottle of Yamazaki 18? Decisions, decisions . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Yes. Taste them side by side and see which you prefer.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
picked up another old scout 10 yr(non barrel select since they were out). ALso grabbed a redemption rye 7 yr cask strength as it was listed on breaking bourbon as an alternative to TH Handy. I must admit its better than Handy, very smooth for 122 proof, worth every bit of 71 bucks.

ALso tried Old grand dad 114. im going with best value cask strength, the finish is just a lil off. otherwise a great bourbon.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
OGD114 is (mostly) my camping Bourbon. I fill up a large stainless flash, then usually drink it out of a plastic cup, over ice, around the fire and campsite, sipping from the flask sometimes too. I don't know why, necessarily, but it really shines in that setting, the Hugh rye and higher proof cutting through the fire smells and whatnot.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALso grabbed a redemption rye 7 yr cask strength as it was listed on breaking bourbon as an alternative to TH Handy. I must admit its better than Handy, very smooth for 122 proof, worth every bit of 71 bucks.

That sounds good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
ALso grabbed a redemption rye 7 yr cask strength as it was listed on breaking bourbon as an alternative to TH Handy. I must admit its better than Handy, very smooth for 122 proof, worth every bit of 71 bucks.

That sounds good.

There is still 2 left. If theres one next pay period I will grab it... 6 days! Its been in the case for awhile and I couldnt see a reason to buy it or a review I trusted that had similar tastes so when BB had it on its alternatives I jumped for it. Soopa smooth, tinge oflil winter green/pine

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Hey Deglyn,

I'll see your Redemption 7yr CS rye for $71 and raise you a 1792 SB for $32! Oh boy, tomorrow is going to be a great day (no work!). Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
ah its out! i am waiting for the Full Proof. This watered down stuff just aint cuttin it no mo'

Enjoy it! i like 1792 alot.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it just came in yesterday -- but it's on a very tight allocation. We only got six (6) bottles in the store and the rep said we're not getting anymore! Mad

Let me know if you want a pic. That, I can do. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-(

I miss Erhardt!

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Just grabbed an old forrester 15 orphan cask. Probably nothing special, but I won't pass up anything from the old Stitzel-Weller warehouse. My favorite bourbon so far has been Jeffersons Presidential select 21, and I foolishly passed on the chance to buy a case. Never again!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I appreciate fine, expensive bourbons and have consumed many a bottle thereof, BUT I continue to be surprised at how good JW Dant Bottled-in-Bond is. It's priced at $15.99 at my local Total Wine for a full liter of 100 proof goodness.

Just curious if anyone else shares my elevated opinion of this bourbon.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Never had it but am interested ^^^^

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
So I was rummaging around the bourbon storage cabinet getting out an ECBP release 7, and I found an Elmer T Lee, and Four Roses local store private barrel bottling at barrel proof. I love it when that happens.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
So I was rummaging around the bourbon storage cabinet getting out an ECBP release 7, and I found an Elmer T Lee, and Four Roses local store private barrel bottling at barrel proof. I love it when that happens.

Will you please rummage through mine and find some of that for me? Smile

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Just grabbed an old forrester 15 orphan cask. Probably nothing special, but I won't pass up anything from the old Stitzel-Weller warehouse. My favorite bourbon so far has been Jeffersons Presidential select 21, and I foolishly passed on the chance to buy a case. Never again!

Not familiar with this expression of Old Forester and can't find any info on the web. Is it new?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I assume so. It's one of those orphan barrel releases, which are irregular. I threw down 65$ because the warehouse this one came from has produced so many of my favorite bourbons. I googled it and reviews were just so-so, but I don't always agree with reviewers. I'll let you know what I think! Still several bottles on the shelf in destin, FL.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Forged Oak is the 15 year old orphan barrel released by Diaego, supposedly produced by New Bernheim and stored for 15 years at the old Stitzel-Weller rickhouse. Retail is correct at $65.00. Bernheim is currently a Heaven Hill product, Old Forester is Brown-Forman, but 15 years ago, I have no idea who made each. Is that the one?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Forged Oak is the 15 year old orphan barrel released by Diaego, supposedly produced by New Bernheim and stored for 15 years at the old Stitzel-Weller rickhouse. Retail is correct at $65.00. Bernheim is currently a Heaven Hill product, Old Forester is Brown-Forman, but 15 years ago, I have no idea who made each. Is that the one?

Yes, you are right and I was wrong. Forged oak is what I meant! Sorry for the confusion.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Be sure to let us know what you think. Some folks seem to like the Forged Oak, and some I think are negatively inclined by online community's opinion of Diageo's smoke and mirrors marketing. What matters is what you think of the taste. The only orphan barrel I have is Barterhouse, which I would give a B+. At $80.00 it's overpriced, which is why I've walked away from buying more twice.

Because of the hit and miss proposition of these offerings and the inflated prices, I am wary, but still a little intrigued. I am passing on Gifted Horse because of unfavorable reviews, but am still interested in some of the others. There are rumors of an orphan barrel library set coming out with sample bottles of several of the releases like Lost Prophet and Old Blowhard. Depending on price, that's something that I'd be interested in.