SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
would a bottle of WHISTLEPIG 10 YR PRIVATE BARREL SELECT or MACALLAN 12 YR make a good Christmas gift?

Why yes, thank you very much. My address is...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
would a bottle of WHISTLEPIG 10 YR PRIVATE BARREL SELECT or MACALLAN 12 YR make a good Christmas gift?
i'm just realizing that shipping spirits is problematic / not legal. what other options are there? gift certificates?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
i'm just realizing that shipping spirits is problematic / not legal. what other options are there? gift certificates?

it's done,

not sure of the legality,

I've received wine legally,

and I know there are beer exchanges on BeerAdvocate,

I would think UPS or FEdex, adult sign required would pass?

but then again, I shipped a lot of likker to the sandbox back in the day, so don't trust my knowledge Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

Both are great as long as you know that neither are bourbon (just in case you're buying for a specifically-bourbon-lover.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10468 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

It's illegal unless you possess a license. If you have a license each shipper has various forms, disclosures, fees, labeling requirements, etc. Then there are 50 state laws plus any local level nonsense. Many people ship anyway. Use UPS or FedEx. Package securely and don't declare contents.. You'll almost certainly be fine. A gift certificate from a store near your recipient is an option.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If you have Hulu, there's a Bourbon documentary on there this month entitled Neat.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do have Hulu and we’ll chk it out. Tks for the heads up. Suddenly into a weird cooking with bourbon kick! And loving it!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I’ve been working through a bottle of Old Forester “Statesman”. What a great bottle, so smooth and full of flavor with great legs. Around $55 it’s not out of line but tastes like a premium pour. I’ll be picking up another, maybe a couple for gifts.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Old Forester “Statesman”. Around $55

I had a bottle of Statesman about 6 months ago and enjoyed it. I believe I got it for ~$52 on sale. Although it was good, I thought it was a little over priced. If it was in the ~$40 range, it would be a regular on my bar.

I did recently pick up a bottle of O.F. Single Barrel that was a store pick from a local liquor store that I thought was just as good as the Statesman but was in the $40 range. I have yet to explore any of their other "Whiskey Row" offerings. The 1920 Prohibition Style is next on my radar.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Anyone dipped into a 10 year Widow Jane? Spotted it at a local pup while waiting for my pizza. I’ll give it a go next time I’m there.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Old Forester “Statesman”. Around $55

I had a bottle of Statesman about 6 months ago and enjoyed it. I believe I got it for ~$52 on sale. Although it was good, I thought it was a little over priced. If it was in the ~$40 range, it would be a regular on my bar.

I did recently pick up a bottle of O.F. Single Barrel that was a store pick from a local liquor store that I thought was just as good as the Statesman but was in the $40 range. I have yet to explore any of their other "Whiskey Row" offerings. The 1920 Prohibition Style is next on my radar.

We had an OF rep at a tasting at our favorite liquor store and he had the whole lineup including the prohibition. The Statesman was my favorite of the lot. I’ll gladly pay mid $50’s for more.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone dipped into a 10 year Widow Jane? Spotted it at a local pup while waiting for my pizza. I’ll give it a go next time I’m there.

I’ve got a bottle of it. It’s good stuff but I think it’s priced a little high for the quality you get.

That’s what I get for buying a bourbon from New York City I guess Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The Col EH Taylor B-i-B Straight Rye, it reminds me of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye. A bit more rye chew would be nice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
One of my precincts was late reporting in. Turns out I did win a bottle of the Weller CYPB. Funny how I prefer high rye bourbons, but am somehow more successful getting my hands on wheaters.

The results from the BTAC lottery are announced next Friday. 1785 bottles of Geo T Stagg, 150 of Tho. Handy, 448 of Wm Larue Weller are available for the entire state. That's a lot of Stagg, and I'm feeling lucky!

The PVW lottery opens this week, only 15 bottles of the 23 y.o. and no 20 y.o. available this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

The results from the BTAC lottery are announced next Friday. 1785 bottles of Geo T Stagg, 150 of Tho. Handy, 448 of Wm Larue Weller are available for the entire state. That's a lot of Stagg, and I'm feeling lucky!

The PVW lottery opens this week, only 15 bottles of the 23 y.o. and no 20 y.o. available this year.

So, that's why I got my bottle of the 2018 GTS so quickly, eh? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PVW lotteries in Ohio start in a few days but found some decent finds today. Rhetoric 25 (got 2), Old Ezra 7yr, and Little Book 2 all followed me home today. Not bad for Ohio

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Got the notice today that I got a 2018 G T Stagg in the lottery. Woo Hoo. I told my wife what it's going for on the secondary market. Mistake. I'm still going to drink it, now I'll just have to feel guilty for depriving the kids of extra Xmas presents Wink.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2768 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^ Congrats Captain Mike, me too, and a WLW as well. Been waiting for a shot at BTAC for a long time. There was a 5 year wait list and they weren't taking any more names. Glad it's finally gone to lottery.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
‘‘Tis the season for rare bottles. WLW got delivered Friday. Waiting for the VW shenanigans to hit the Bay.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto: Waiting for the VW shenanigans to hit the Bay.

Huh?