SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
A woody mess is about what I'm expecting. But, it was a gift, so, what the hell. The instructions don't recommend very long, and recommend tasting often.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Id try four roses yellow. Cheap and still a decent drinker. Then age some port, then go back to something else.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did a 50/50 blend of ETH Small batch and Koval 4-grain very amazing. I'm calling it cheap man's ETH 4 grain.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Couldn't make myself spend more than $30 on my mini barrel experiment. I needed at least 1.5L, so I came home with a handy of Ancient Ancient Age. Didn't see anything in that price range with proof higher than 90. Remember, this is VA where everything, including rotgut sells for retail.

The water that came out after curing certainly had a some amber color and oaky nose, and even a bit of an interesting flavor. No leakage which was a good sign, but I was surprised how much water went into the wood or evaporated in 4 days. The bourbon went in on New Year's Day, so we're off to the races.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof on a trip to Oregon, as I never see it around here (socal). Also some Blanton's at $55, which for some reason is always $99 locally.

I was also given Woodford Double Oak for Christmas by my BIL, and it doesn't come across as over oaked to me, in fact I like it.

Also picked up Highland Park 12, which is pretty darn good as well.

Cheers

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Oh, and forgot I picked up a local store select of a KCSB, which the store rep (who was the guy I was talking to when I bought it) went to the distillery and decided to mix 30% rye in a six year KC, and age together the last 3 years.

Just trying it tonight. It is....really good. Just enough rye to be interesting without overpowering it. A great sipper.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
8 days in the barrel, and I believe the Ancient Ancient Age tastes better. There's still not much finish, and no real complexity, but the front palate flavors are more balanced and pleasing. There was a certain off flavor that I associate with immaturity that is less present.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice, Ya I dont believe you will get the complexity or finish out of a short barrel. Oxidation cant be faked or the distillerys would have figured it out already!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've tried bourbon from the local "craft" guys who use smaller barrels in an effort to get it to market quickly, and I've not had anything I would recommend, particularly at the crazy price points. Same reason I don't expect much here, though I was surprised how much flavor and nose it imparted to the water used to cure it over 4 days.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Tried the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye, as it is my son's 21st today, and he prefers rye. It is quite a feat, IMO, from JD. Smoothe, tasty. Got good reviews, just a little pricey for value.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
Tried the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye, as it is my son's 21st today, and he prefers rye. It is quite a feat, IMO, from JD. Smoothe, tasty. Got good reviews, just a little pricey for value.

Its a decent one. Tried the 2 year when it first came out and it wasnt bad I think were up to 4 years of age now since I had it. I should revisit it! Rittenhouse still a great rye for the money, makes a killer old fashion.

posted Hide Post
I received a couple bottles over the holidays, one of which was American single malt from Westlake distillery. Anybody from the Northwest shed some light on this distillery please? I thought of heavy cigar flavors when sampling.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes I've tried Rittenhouse and like it. I have some Whistle Pig 10 yr that is really nice too. Delicious in fact.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:
I received a couple bottles over the holidays, one of which was American single malt from Westlake distillery. Anybody from the Northwest shed some light on this distillery please? I thought of heavy cigar flavors when sampling.

Do you mean Westland?

If so they're doing some neat things and trying to do things the right way. The have a robust but costly single cask program that turns out some really good stuff. Their three core offerings of single malt, peated single malt, and sherried single malt are a bit more than I want to spend for the age but are solid pours and much better than most American single malts of similar age. I prefer the peated because the peat covers some of the youth.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berto thank you for the correction. Westland is indeed the distillery I was inquiring of. I had heard they had deep pockets supporting the operation.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:
Berto thank you for the correction. Westland is indeed the distillery I was inquiring of. I had heard they had deep pockets supporting the operation.

Yes, Westland started with deep pockets, I think timber money, so they were able to do things the right way from the start. They recently sold to Remy Cointreau for an undoubtedly large sum. Hopefully Remy won't mess with a good thing. They have a good record with some other purchases but time will tell.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Just got an infusion of Blanton's Gold from a friend. Anybody want some regular (unopened) Blanton's (750s or 375s) for trade???????

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ahh liking the gold eh?

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I need to break open the wallet and order both some Gold and SFTB, but the shipping is hard to swallow. which of those 2 do we like better, and why do you suppose those are export only?

Just picked up two bottles of Michter's 10, which I really like, and still awaiting the results of the Lot B and ORVW lotteries. Looks like I struck out on the 23 and the 15 this year.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Had a special occasion dinner last week and had some Lot B for the first time. As you all likely know, good but not great was my main impression. And of course not worth what I paid, but I already knew it wouldn't be. It wasn't all that much more than most other selections at this restaurant.

If I found it on the shelf at retail of course I'd still buy it, but perhaps more for the novelty. Stagg Jr, KCSB, MMCS all as good or better, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post