SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Interesting opportunities in the VA Lottery this week: Booker's RYE, Parker's Heritage, and 4 Roses Ltd Edition. At $299 the Booker's is a little rich for my blood, but at $129 ea., I'll go after the other two and see what happens.

I'll trade you a bottle of GTS for that Booker's Rye if you're interested. This particular bottle is from 2010 or 2011, I'll have to look when I get back home. IIRC it's the 143p from 2010.

Well, 46, I entered them all including the Booker's. Only 12 bottles for the whole state, so don't hold your breath. I find it hard to believe Jim Murray holds this much sway, but good is good, I suppose.

Pappy lotteries start in VA soon, but there is no 20 or Rye on the docket for some reason? They are also offering a four bottle collection (23, 15, 12, 10) for $1000 when they offer the four bottles individually for a total $500.00. I guess they figure we can't manage the 3rd grade math. Odd.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool, good luck in general. Let me know if it works out. I'll sit on the 2010 GTS for now.

And, there's no VW Rye this year. The vatted 13yr is all gone, apparently, and the replacement isn't ready yet (12yo now, IIRC, and not yet done, to that caliber at least). Which is weird, BTW, as the rationing scheme put into place years ago was supposed to last / designed to last until the replacement was ready, so VW must have been selling someone more than the stated ration of around 250 cases a year that we've all be dealing with or some was lost or stolen or the like.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged a jeffersons select presidential 16. I hate jeffs but snagged it for a friend and will get to try it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Curious to hear how you like the Jefferson's. A friend had a bottle of the 24yo Presidential and claims it was the best ever had. That was old Stitzel-Weller juice, though.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious to hear how you like the Jefferson's. A friend had a bottle of the 24yo Presidential and claims it was the best ever had. That was old Stitzel-Weller juice, though.

I asked around at the pappy drawing today and they said it was pretty good this year. Won't know til xmas.

Did not win anything Frown

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post

Was out looking for some more Midwinter Nights Dram today (amazing stuff MWND, wish I'd have bought more than one when I had the chance and I had a few opportunities). Local grocery store with liquor store had this sitting with some other somewhat rare / higher end bottles - Whistlepig of some type, Blood Oath Pact 2 (tempted to pick this up even though I have 2 bottles of this) and some others. There was a sign "like us on Facebook for a chance to win the opportunity to buy these". I don't do FB so asked what else I could do. Apparently nothing. Went and looked for my MWND and when I went passed the counter the manager was there so I asked her if they had any. No, but then the other gal asked her what I could do to enter he lottery and she said "you can just buy it" Eek Eek I told her to grab it and as she's wringing it up the other gal is going on about how she thought you had to like on FB. I told her "you just pipe down about that till I'm gone with my bottle"

Going to a Van Winkle tasting on the 16th. $80 /head for the tasting and I believe we'll get an opportunity to try each expression with the opportunity to buy one of them.

Now to keep looking for more MWND.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice score on the ol rip.

Ill bet you find a mwnd soon. I got 3 this year, lol.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
longshot... but anyone interested in trading a GTS 2017 for a WLW 2017?

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo - just got my notice to pick up my 2017 WLW in New Jersey. Road Trip! Big Grin

TTFN,
"point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New to Rye, so I figured I should start with something from where I like the bourbon... Besides, I just like the name, reminds me of the "other" Knob Creek!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Woo Hoo - just got my notice to pick up my 2017 WLW in New Jersey. Road Trip! Big Grin

TTFN,
"point Blank" Frank
8-)

thats a win!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Had a couple of 20% off coupons for Repeal Day from VA ABC, so I picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and a bottle of Blanton's. Had to drive a bit and get lucky on the Blanton's, managed the last bottle available in Richmond.

Congrats on all the scores, fellas! Hoping for a few more myself.

posted Hide Post
That Knob Creek is pretty nice!
Now it's off to find so,e more Rye to try out....

Bill R.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had a couple of 20% off coupons for Repeal Day from VA ABC, so I picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and a bottle of Blanton's. Had to drive a bit and get lucky on the Blanton's, managed the last bottle available in Richmond.

Congrats on all the scores, fellas! Hoping for a few more myself.

let me know what you think of the 1920!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to it, Deq.

I mentioned a few posts back that VA ABC was selling a 4 bottle Pappy "Collection", the Old Rip, Lot B, 15 and 23 for $999. I sent them an email questioning the price which was twice the cost of the individual bottles. I got a response today. Here it is:

"For all products, including the individual Van Winkle products, we follow the manufacturers’ recommended retail price and include no additional premium. However, the Van Winkle Collection offers a unique opportunity for our customers beyond the individual lotteries – the Van Winkle Collection offers customers the opportunity to receive all four products at once. Additionally, the premium helps offset the costs Virginia ABC incurs to obtain, market, merchandise, handle, and deliver these rare products."

Put on your boots and grab a shovel fellas, it's gettin' deep here fast. I'm all for the free market, but this isn't one. It is a state run monopoly. This is the worst kind of gouging. I'm thinking about forwarding this email to the press.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That price is crazy.

I hope no one is foolish enough to pay that.

Shame on them, and all like them.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Lol 46n2. You dont even know!

The BSM bourbon secondary market, going rates are 350 to 400 for orvw 400-450 lot b amd 1800 pvw23. Staggs are 350-400, wlw 575-600. These prices are paid daily. Its all gomna end gloriously when the liquor stores bypass retail price for good.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know. It's definitely jumped the shark. Collectors and wide popularity have all but ruined it. Same thing happens to other small manufacturers and markets in different sectors, where actual objective value is supplanted by some meta idea of the thing.

10yr Van Winkle bourbon is barely worth $50 on the merits of the whiskey alone, for instance, and Lot B for even $100 is an irritating proposition, and I love wheaters and VW whiskey, and have had tons of it over the years, and passed on the 10yr countless times.

There is, of course nothing at all *wrong* with it, but it's not extraordinary either. It's like someone charging $50/ea for a bottle of Guinness or something, or $100 cheeseburgers via lottery from Five Guys just because their popularity suddenly flew through the roof.

I don't want to restrict it, mind you, but I damn sure won't participate in most of it.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I know. It's definitely jumped the shark. Collectors and wide popularity have all but ruined it. Same thing happens to other small manufacturers and markets in different sectors, where actual objective value is supplanted by some meta idea of the thing.

10yr Van Winkle bourbon is barely worth $50 on the merits of the whiskey alone, for instance, and Lot B for even $100 is an irritating proposition, and I love wheaters and VW whiskey, and have had tons of it over the years, and passed on the 10yr countless times.

There is, of course nothing at all *wrong* with it, but it's not extraordinary either. It's like someone charging $50/ea for a bottle of Guinness or something, or $100 cheeseburgers via lottery from Five Guys just because their popularity suddenly flew through the roof.

I don't want to restrict it, mind you, but I damn sure won't participate in most of it.

I'm in on the 5 guys lottery, when's it going down? Cheeseburger ATW.

Ya it's an interesting world out there. Fun to see all the bottles in the picture but it makes you wonder how much passing around has happened now.