SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Nice hopefully they have someone worth a shit picking them. I just got a Lincoln Road 4R. Those guys have notoriously good picks.

Lincoln Road picks are usually very good. Friends and I group our orders to save on shipping.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes. Thier SAOS is pretty sought after. This is an OESO.

I believe a certain some here is in thr loch n key society. Still waiting for my invite Smile

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Persisted into a bottle of Knob Creek Rye 115 proof Single Barrel, Twin Liquor edition. I have mixed expectations... the TL barrel chooser seems to have a pallette of stone. But I won't open the bottle until the temps cool.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife brought home some Woodford Reserve double oaked. Wow- quite a step up from our usual fare. Tasty stuff.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
My brother gifted me a bottle of 4R OESO 13yr.
I'm sipping it now and LOVING IT!!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Anyone else have an affinity for the Blood Oath releases (labeled as Pacts i.e. Pact I, Pact II etc)? I discovered this by accident and a pricey gamble at $100 with the Pact 3, a California Cabernet finished Bourbon. I fell in love with it, so much I had to search out the Pact 2, a Port finished release. I had a Port finish fetish at the time so I caved when I found one on line and shelled out $160 with shipping. I was a little bummed when I spotted it in a liquor store a month or so later for $100. Snatched it up along with another Pact 3 they had anyway.

So a couple of weeks back I went to my favorite local bottle shop for some Glenmorangie Spios (Rye barrel aged Scotch (F’n amazing) and I saw the Pact 4 on the shelf. It was an expensive day at Top Ten Liquors (check them out Ronin).

If nothing else their packaging is very slick in the small wooden crate.

image uploading

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Its that time of year again gents. Anyone pick up the parkers heritage orange drank?

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Trace

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its that time of year again gents. Anyone pick up the parkers heritage orange drank?

As they say in St. Maarten, "soon come!" If it's too bitter and "orangy", I have a friend who will take it off my hands - just covering all bets. Big Grin

Did pick up a couple of Glenfiddich Winter Storms, too. Great stuff, IMHO. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Got a notification from out state run monopoly that Blantons had become available. Hopped on their website and at 8:00 in the morning it was showing 14 bottles in a store right near my office. Rolled over there at lunch and bought one of the last two bottles left. They sold twelve $70.00 bottles of Bourbon in 3 hours!

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've has a little luck the past week or two. I found 3 bottles of ECBP, 2 of Blanton's, and won a handy of Weller Special Reserve in the lottery. I struck out on the Weller CYBP and Wm Larue Weller.

Anybody try one of the CYPBs?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I heard the cypb was basically poor mans pappy w12 anf owa. If u get one sell it for 300 on secondary cause i heard its so so.

posted Hide Post
I'm going to jump in as a newb and ask if Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 24 is worth $120 for my uneducated palate?

I have tried and enjoyed Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Basil Hayden, EH Taylor, and a few others, but those are all at the lower end of the spectrum.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhetoric, and the entire Orphan Barrel line, is underwhelming. It’s a good intro to hyper aged bourbon but it’s boring. Lots of oak and too little punch behind it. You can’t find that kind of age on bourbon for less. I’d pass. There’s so much better stuff for the money.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Agree^ the furst release of forged oak was okay but the following have been so so. At 60 bucks its 15 yr old bourbon u can actually find but it doesnt have a lot of depth.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I thought Barterhouse was interesting enough to buy a second bottle. A little oakey, but some depth there. The palate reminds me a bit of EC18, but less robust. At $80, it wasn't as risky a purchase as some of the other Orphans either.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Pretty stocked for GTS this year. Reviews looks like it will take the cake, however, some may miss the high proof. Its only 125ish

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof, 116.2 proof. WTRB used to be 112.2, but lately more like 108 I think?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty stocked for GTS this year. Reviews looks like it will take the cake, however, some may miss the high proof. Its only 125ish

That's so low, for GTS.

I should try some of this year's.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
I'm going to jump in as a newb and ask if Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 24 is worth $120 for my uneducated palate?

I have tried and enjoyed Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Basil Hayden, EH Taylor, and a few others, but those are all at the lower end of the spectrum.

I’m going to suggest that you hold off on the super-premiums for awhile. If you’re really a “newb,” take your time, there are so many great bourbons for $50 or less, and a number of superb ones for $75 or less. Enjoy the journey.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post