SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
So, in the spirit of a gun forum, if you can only have one bourbon forever, or perhaps your top three, due to a worldwide shortage, what do you stock up on? It can be anything, so if you really love Pappy that much, go for it!

(Just trying tonget this back on page one) Smile

I am surprised how much I am liking Elijah Craig these days, it might make it into my bunker.

Non-Unobtaniums

1. Makers Cask
2. blantons
3. Old Grandad 114

Unobtanium

1. William Larue Weller
2. Any willet 12+ year
3. Old Rip Van Winkle

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
So, in the spirit of a gun forum, if you can only have one bourbon forever, or perhaps your top three, due to a worldwide shortage, what do you stock up on?

1. Rittenhouse 25 yr rye
2. Very Very Old Fitzgerald bottled in the 50s or 60s
3. 80s Wild Turkey

Of course stocking up on that would cost six figures so not happening without some sorcery.

Obtainable stuff:

1. Russell's Reserve single barrels from a store or two
2. Four Roses Q yeast single barrels
3. Wild Turkey 101

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Here's my list:

1. William Larue Weller

2. Rock Hill Farms

3. Blanton's

Here's a pic of my latest buying spree in Washington, DC, compliments of the Virginia ABC stores in Northern VA:

Can you tell that I like Blanton's (all 8 tops on 375ml bottles)? Big Grin

The 9yr Single Barrel Belle Meade, 1702 Full Proof and the John J. Bowman were also purchases. The Old Weller Antique and the Hibiki Harmony were taken from my bunker and consumed by family members gathered for my aunt's Memorial Service at Arlington National Cemetery. It was a good week! Smile

Enjoy,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old Grandad 114

Isn't it being phased out?

Damn good high-rye Bourbon, regardless, and a good value.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Old Grandad 114

ya, I actually found 1 bottle yesterday. It was in the "rare case" for 20 bucks, lol!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Old Grandad 114

Beam/Suntory decided to let it be, for now. Supply is supposed to pick up this spring. OGD and Basil Hayden share the same barrels and if corporate decides to up-market Basil OGD may be in trouble.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Oh really? I thot they wete repackaging as basil hayden cask. For 60 bucks. Its the only beam product i like...

posted Hide Post
They could very well funnel OGD to Basil Cask. Who knows at this point? Beam certainly acts like they don't.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh, well, that's good - at least it's still around for now.

Of all things mentioned lately, I think OGD 114 and Makers Cask are worth stocking pretty deep, and are fairly priced for what you get, and are reasonably available - generally.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
well had a 1/4 chance at WLW today... missed. good odds but disappointing.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Oh really? I thot they wete repackaging as basil hayden cask. For 60 bucks. Its the only beam product i like...

I'm similar, but Booker's is the Beam product I like. Not a big fan of BH.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I finally managed to get a bottle of Rockhill and a bottle of Hancock. Nice score Geeten. I am still chasing 2 letters to finish out my barrel stave.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
I finally managed to get a bottle of Rockhill and a bottle of Hancock. Nice score Geeten. I am still chasing 2 letters to finish out my barrel stave.

Both RHF and HPR are fine BT drams, IMHO. Big Grin

And you've got mail! Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged EC18 today. As a gift most likely.

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
HPR is a damn good drinker, very easy to drink.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The wife is headed to DC, so she'll be on the prowl for me. I've found a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Cask Strength, that sounds interesting. I enjoyed the SAOS 7, and I like barrel proofs. At $62.00 what do we think? Anbody tried it? I could just go for the SAOS 10 for a couple dollars less.

Opened a bottle of Kentucky Spirit I got for Christmas, it's not bad, but I was expecting more. The bottle itself is the best part. Hard to throw some of them away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
The wife is headed to DC, so she'll be on the prowl for me. I've found a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Cask Strength, that sounds interesting. I enjoyed the SAOS 7, and I like barrel proofs. At $62.00 what do we think? Anbody tried it? I could just go for the SAOS 10 for a couple dollars less.

I haven't had a ton of SAOS single barrels but what I've had has been good. They're single barrels so you're always taking a risk that a particular barrel is on the far end of the spectrum. $62 for barrel proof is a fair price for a maybe great bottle.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Jimmy and Eddie Russell from Wild Turkey did an AMA/interview today.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged a 4R LTE SB today 55.1%

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
507 bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel proof in the lottery and my family managed to win 3 from 13 total entries. That was unexpected, but I'm guessing a decline in interest in bourbon with Spring approaching. The came in the new style EC bottles.

Was that the Limited Edition Small Batch, Deq?