SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
^^^^Starting with my dawg OGD114!!! (Not a beginners bourbon)

Yes, they say its comparable to 2013 which is one of my faves but has more classic stagg notes then the 2013. I got quite a decent amount of chocolate from that one. Niw i just gotta find one or luck out.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
It's LE Season!

First score yesterday was a bottle of 2018 PHC bourbon extra aged in an Orange Curacao barrel. Different experience but hey, proceeds go to supporting ALS research.

Also picked up a bottle of 2019 OFBIB 9yr black label, too. Much better than the OFBIB 11yr issued earlier this year IMHO. Big Grin

Life is still good!

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I need to grab more OGD114, thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
It's LE Season!

First score yesterday was a bottle of 2018 PHC bourbon extra aged in an Orange Curacao barrel. Different experience but hey, proceeds go to supporting ALS research.

Also picked up a bottle of 2019 OFBIB 9yr black label, too. Much better than the OFBIB 11yr issued earlier this year IMHO. Big Grin

Life is still good!

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Not lovin that orange drank huh? Lookin forward to your write up on the btac samplings!

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, I've been hooked on some fine bourbons in the last few years and I'm finding less and less of them on the shelf in my local booze shop.

I honestly didn't realize that I could purchase booze online, so off to DuckDuckGo I went and I found a lot of online dealers.

So, for those that have made purchases who do you like for selection and shipping charges? BTW I did check out Flaviar (got an invite)and I'm going to pass for now, however I may revisit them later.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Ok guys, I've been hooked on some fine bourbons in the last few years and I'm finding less and less of them on the shelf in my local booze shop.

I honestly didn't realize that I could purchase booze online, so off to DuckDuckGo I went and I found a lot of online dealers.

So, for those that have made purchases who do you like for selection and shipping charges? BTW I did check out Flaviar (got an invite)and I'm going to pass for now, however I may revisit them later.

Many shops have stopped shipping across state lines. Make sure you’re actually shippable. I’ve bought from Ace, HiTime, and many others. Buying 3 or 4 bottles helps on shipping. Winesearcher and 1000corks are search engines that locate bottles all over the country. Not every shop ships or ships to you but both sites are good for checking pricing. I’ve found that even after shipping I can still pay less than shopping locally due to lower pricing and no tax.

I’d skip Flaviar. They’re basically a middleman charging a premium. Their special bottles are horribly overpriced, even above secondary market. If you want to buy samples there are euro sites that offer much bigger selection. There’s an art to balancing shipping from across the pond. Note that Flavisr’s samples are actually poured in Eastern Europe and then shipped back to the US due to US law.

Hope this helped.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I rather like Caskers.com since it's the only place I can find Balcones Single Malt and Bourbon that will ship to me. They ship with needing a signature confirmation from a 21 yo when it arrives.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I am enjoying Col EH Taylor BiB Single Barrel. The Small Batch is my preference. Laphroig Cairdeas is smoothing out nicely after a few pours.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I am enjoying Col EH Taylor BiB Single Barrel. The Small Batch is my preference.

You know, I hear that all the time, so I must be in the minority on this one. I prefer the Single Barrel, but I've only managed to get my hands on 3 or 4 bottles of each, so the sample size is small. That said, the EHT Barrel Proof is about all I require from any whisky.

I picked up two bottles of the EHT Rye. Not overly complex, reputedly 4 years or so old which explains that, but a balanced and enjoyable pour.

Edit to add: I've just been notified I won a bottle of the Weller C.Y.P.B. in the lottery. Very cool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged this years midwinters night dram release. Anyone had it yet?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the most recent bottlings of EHTaylor Rye, but the ones I have had were very good, and amongst my favorite new-to-me whiskeys in years (along w EHT Barrel Proof).

I wonder if it's changed. I haven't really looked into it.

As for 4yr Ryes, the older sourced Willett 4yr 110p Ryes were truly fantastic, to me. I wish I had cases of it. And the EHTaylor Ryes from 2+ years ago were also very good, to me, so my expectations for 4yr Rye is pretty high. I don't give them much quarter for being young...

I don't even mess with the EHTaylor Single Barrel or Small Batch. Probably my loss, but I'm in a Barrel Strength and Rye or nothing mode with them. But I'm probably just missing out.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
4 yr FE rye is back btw. Its not bad. Bout 114 proof the latest release.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
First time I've bought anything of note in a long time so I figured I'd post. Bought a hand picked, hand blended bottle of Makers Mark Private Select. Apparently its a bit like the MM46 cask strength but the oak staves are a combination of different amounts and types of wood. I don't love 46 and hope its not too oaky but we'll see. Anybody had this and like it? My bottle has 2 staves of baked american pure 2, 2 staves of seared french cuvee, and 3 each of roasted french mocha and toasted french spice. It is bottled at a barrel proof of 111.4.

An added bonus is that when I bought they asked me if I wanted a bottle of Blanton's as well, which are usually by lottery at my shop. So that's nice to have.

And last bonus is 2 entries into the aforementioned lottery. Fingers crossed.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $39ish bucks the old erza 7 year barrel strength is great for the price

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco is clearing out their Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel that was selected for the store for $30/bottle. I’m about to go clear out their remaining stock for some friends.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
So my liquor store puts out hard to find stuff on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. They don't raffle away stuff, they don't hold it for good customers, put it on the shelf at reasonable prices.

The pappy got scooped up when the doors opened. I guess customers have learned about this pre holiday annual sale. I have gotten pappy on my way home from work previous years.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Guess they saved a few for those who couldn't get there at opening. Found this on the shelf.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice score gator! Looks like ec18 chNhed thier bottle too

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to you!

I passed on a bottle EH Taylor Single Barrel. Contemplating buying the Bernheim wheat whisky while sipping Weller SR.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
would a bottle of WHISTLEPIG 10 YR PRIVATE BARREL SELECT or MACALLAN 12 YR make a good Christmas gift?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post