SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Anybody here have any expertise on "dusty bottles"?

We rescued some old bottles from an elderly relative's former home. I have a couple of the bottles, but my brother-in-law has the majority, so I don't have an accurate inventory. I have 2 bottles of Very Old Barton in 1979 and 1984 vintages. I know there is also a 1974 VOB and a Jim Beam from 1981.

A guy at work belongs to a bourbon trading group on FB and said he thinks the VOB is worth $150 to $200 per bottle and the Beam is worth $50-60 locally. He mentioned the VOB on the FB page, and it apparently has generated quite a bit of interest.

My preference for my bottles is to trade for some bottles I'd like to get, such as ETL and or Weller 12.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Got a bottle of Mid Winter Nights Dram, really looking forward to this one.

Also a Peerles straight rye, think I might have gotten spanked on this one, ratings aren't all that for $100

BTW, anybody know if the Jack Daniels Sinatra is worth the price of admission?

Will let y'all know soon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigSwede,

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:

We rescued some old bottles from an elderly relative's former home. I have a couple of the bottles, but my brother-in-law has the majority, so I don't have an accurate inventory. I have 2 bottles of Very Old Barton in 1979 and 1984 vintages. I know there is also a 1974 VOB and a Jim Beam from 1981.

A guy at work belongs to a bourbon trading group on FB and said he thinks the VOB is worth $150 to $200 per bottle and the Beam is worth $50-60 locally. He mentioned the VOB on the FB page, and it apparently has generated quite a bit of interest.

My preference for my bottles is to trade for some bottles I'd like to get, such as ETL and or Weller 12.

Your buddy should be able to gauge interest for the VOB and arrange a trade. You're probably going to take a bit of a beating because Weller and Elmer trade for so much above what they're worth though somebody with a decent amount of either may take it easy on you to get the dusty VOB.

I don't know that old Beam is worth too much. There's so much of it out there. You have glut era so it's probably older than whatever is stated on the bottle.

As for the '74 VOB I might be interested given it's birth year for me. We should take that private. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Your buddy should be able to gauge interest for the VOB and arrange a trade. You're probably going to take a bit of a beating because Weller and Elmer trade for so much above what they're worth though somebody with a decent amount of either may take it easy on you to get the dusty VOB.

Yeah, he said within his group, ETL and Weller 12 are trading for 2x retail.

quote:
As for the '74 VOB I might be interested given it's birth year for me. We should take that private. My email is in my profile.

I'll shoot you an email this weekend after I get a better look at what my B-I-L has.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
2X retail wouldn't be all that bad if you really like it. There's a guy on Atlanta Craigslist selling a bottle of ETL for $300 and Weller 12 for $200.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
2X retail wouldn't be all that bad if you really like it. There's a guy on Atlanta Craigslist selling a bottle of ETL for $300 and Weller 12 for $200.

$200? That is just plain silly. I believe that one can spend his money as he likes but in no way does the 12 Yr have the flavor or scarcity. Sheeyit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post

Recent acquisitions. Need to get my hands on a 2018 Eagle Rare 17 and I'll be pretty happy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Just discovered that the Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve, there are various bottlings, is the Whiskey Advocate #10 whiskey of 2018. The Knob Creek Single Barrel 2009 was #2.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:

Email me about the VOBs if you still have them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

Recent acquisitions. Need to get my hands on a 2018 Eagle Rare 17 and I'll be pretty happy.

Very nice.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 46and2, glad to see you're hanging around again. Managed to get my hands on two more bottles of the Stagg for a total of three, and after sampling it Christmas Eve I can say it's money very well spent.

My FIL gave me a bottle of Widow Jane, and my wife gave me a bottle of Ironclad. Reviews for WJ are pretty solid, but not sure what to make of the Ironclad reviews. Anybody have any personal experience with these two?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Email me about the VOBs if you still have them.

Emails sent to 46and2 and berto.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Thanks. ^

In other news, is this the beginning of the end...? Smile

(alarming headlines aside, it's actually quite interesting)

Kentucky distillers scientifically emulate century old Bourbon.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Good thread .... thanks.

Amongst the common favorites I am enjoying, I am happily loving some local Alabama whiskey from Dettling...especially the higher proof.

Good stuff!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
My son is home on leave from the Navy, so we took in a couple of distilleries today. Went to Maker's Mark and sampled White mash, Maker's, Maker's 46, Cask Strength, and a Private Selection. He bought and dipped a bottle of 46 at the gift shop. The wife and I have both dipped bottles in past visits, so we didn't this time.

Then we went to Barton 1792 Distillery and sampled current VOB and 1792 Small Batch. I was recently gifted a 1792 and like it quite a bit. I was disappointed that they didn't offer any other options (I shouldn't complain because the tour and tasting was free). I'd really like to try their Sweet Wheat, but aside from one display bottle, they didn't have any.

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Since my son is still home for a few days, we decided to crack open a bottle of Blanton's Special Reserve. It's only available in Europe, and I brought a bottle of it and Blanton's Gold (also available only in Europe) back from Germany in September.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tk13,

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Pray tell, risk being ID'ed as a sadistic bastard or share the tasting notes.

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
share the tasting notes.

Well, I've never been very good at describing tasting notes, and my palate isn't overly sophisticated, but I'll try.

This is a very light bourbon--it is bottled at 80 proof. I typically like a whiskey with considerably more bite. However, it was surprisingly pleasant at first drink. There wasn't much depth to the flavor at first, and I did not get much of a finish at first. By the 3rd sip, I did get the familiar "Kentucky Hug" that I so enjoy in a neat bourbon. I didn't want to dilute it, since it was so low proof, but I did add a couple of drops of water to open up the flavors. After adding the water, I got a very distinct butterscotch note that had been missing previously.

All in all, I'd rather have regular Blanton's over the Special Reserve. I think I paid 35 euros for the S.R., which is about $40. That would be a great deal on Blantons here in the U.S. Aside from the allure of something your can't get here, it wasn't overly special.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have been nipping at Col EH Taylor Small Batch. Bought a bottle of Ledaig 13 Yr on Ralfy's recommendation. But after that I'll be going cheap.

posted Hide Post
Booker's 2019-01 "Theresa's Batch" available in NOVA ABC stores. 125.7 proof. $79.99.

Picked one up in Gainesville. Also in stock in the two Leesburg stores.

Posts: 331 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: August 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post