SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Killer write up. Glad you got to try all that stuff. Every report I've seen said the old Willett's were the clear winners. I would have guessed that going in.

Hey berto,

Thanks - means a lot coming from you. Added a few more tidbits from the SB.com write-up, too. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I need to do another distillery run. Anyone get to try the new 4 year willlet FE rye or bobo? I still have a 12 yr i havent cracked and a 13 yr half empty that was wheated and delicious. All plum tasting an stuff

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
$3000

(ginormous eyeroll)

I bet it's good, though. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I pop into the tread from-time-to-time...

GREAT POST GeeTen!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd ask this here.

I picked up two bottles of the latest ECBP. So I grabbed the release 10, I have had in storage since spring of 16. The cork had shrunk so much it doesn't seal the bottle. The plastic holding the top on was in place and there isn't a noticeable amount evaporated, a little hard to tell due to the fact I spilled a little taking off the plastic from around the top.

I store unopen bottles in my basement which is cool year round.

Just curious has anyone had a cork shrink this much in just 16-18 months. I suspect it was a bad cork when I bought it.

Should I seal the top on with saran wrap (wrapping tape around the top seems like a bad idea)

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If I have a cork issue I've only ever used a replacement cork (usually from another bottle of the same whiskey) and treated them as open bottles, assuming it hasn't affected the flavor. I've never tried to (re)seal it and keep it as backstock.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Thought I'd ask this here.

I picked up two bottles of the latest ECBP. So I grabbed the release 10, I have had in storage since spring of 16. The cork had shrunk so much it doesn't seal the bottle. The plastic holding the top on was in place and there isn't a noticeable amount evaporated, a little hard to tell due to the fact I spilled a little taking off the plastic from around the top.

I store unopen bottles in my basement which is cool year round.

Just curious has anyone had a cork shrink this much in just 16-18 months. I suspect it was a bad cork when I bought it.

Should I seal the top on with saran wrap (wrapping tape around the top seems like a bad idea)

I started saving corks in case something like this ever happens, I have a spare that fits. So far, the only corks it has happened to are some I've saved.

ETA: Well, I won a bottle of Barterhouse in the recent lottery, so I decided to start drinking the remainder of my existing bottle. I go to pull the cork, and the cork has shrunk. Makes a seal, I think, but barely. Good timing.

Just entered the lottery for one of my favorites, EH Taylor Barrel Proof. I have one bottle I've been reluctant to open for more than two years, because I don't have a backup. Strange reason, I know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Spent the week of 8/7-8/13 in Richmond, VA as the National Officials' Evaluator and Mentor at the Eastern Zone Long Course Age Group Swimming Championships. Drove down to Richmond stopping at Kloby's BBQ in Laurel, MD (fantastic whiskey list, BTW) for lunch and hit the Montgomery County Liquor Store in White Oak, MD (1.75L VOB for $21.99 + tax) for a peek at their inventory.

Started an epic (really bad Sunday traffic coming north on the Jersey Turnpike) journey back home with breakfast with another bourbon aficionado and his wife "at the lake" just north of Richmond. I brought a bottle of ETL and a bottle of RHF for them, both "hard-to-find" or "non-existent" in their neck of the woods.

In return (not expected or promised), Harry gave me a bottle of EC with a big red "12" on the front label and a bottle of VOB BIB (not easily found in New England). In addition, my friend hand-filled seven (7) 5oz samples of the following: Abraham Bowman Coffee Finish Release 11, 134.6pf; Abraham Bowman High Rye Bourbon Release 12, 100pf; '03 EWSiB Barrel #732 (10yr, 6mo), 86.6pf; '04 EWSiB Barrel #30 (9yr, 8mo), 86.6pf; David Nicholson 1843 (wheated) 100pf; Hillrock Estate Solera Aged New York bourbon Barrel #44, 92.3pf (from a bottle signed by Dave Pickarell himself at a Magruder's tasting); and Catoctin Creek Roundstone 100% Rye distilled and bottled in Purcelleville, Va ("just up the road a piece"), 80pf. I know I got the better end of the deal!!! Wink

Looks like a fine tasting at Pappy's Whiskey Den after the next Whiskey Wednesday at Julio's (Clyde Mays' grandson will be hosting and signing bottles at a tasting of their Alabama bourbon!). Last Whiskey Wednesday was a tasting of Privateer rum, a fine New England rum from Ipswich, MA (didn't know that NE was the rum capital of the new country back in the Revolutionary War times!?!) and many bourbon guys weren't going to attend. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Awesome experience!

Back from a trip to San Antonio, just sipping some Col Taylor SmB, and Four Roses SiB. Aahhh.

Funny, my smaller hotel only had Jim Beam white....man, that is some rough stuff, cough cough.
But, then my United flight had Buffalo Trace, so not too bad there.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Hey, GeeTen, that Abraham Bowman High Rye is some exceptional stuff, IMO. Sad that there will never be any more. Enjoy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Hey, GeeTen, that Abraham Bowman High Rye is some exceptional stuff, IMO. Sad that there will never be any more. Enjoy.

Roger, wilco. Thanks. Cool

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well I now have 2 RHFs. Went from never seeing to covered in it. LOL.

Also TWO different OFBB this year. FL and GA members step up for us! Big Grin

quote:
Any Old Forester special release collectors out there are going to have to hit the road if they want a complete set of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon this year, because the distillery is releasing two bottles for 2017, and they won’t both be sold in every state.

Birthday Bourbon is traditionally a small batch made entirely of one day’s production of whiskey. The purpose of the product is to honor founder George Garvin Brown’s September 2nd birthday with a delicious bottle of 12-year-old bourbon.

MORE: Good News for Bourbon Hunters: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon Gets a Little Less Rare
Oddly enough, the product was almost never released, since 17 years ago, when it first debuted, there wasn’t really a market for high-end bottles. We’re admittedly big fans of Old Forester’s special releases, from the delicious Prohibition 1920 released late last year to pretty much every Birthday Bourbon to have ever come out.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
The 2017 batch is from May 27, 2005, and was housed in a variety of warehouse locations, including sun-facing walls and high floors. Old Forester Master Taster Jackie Zykan, who started work on Birthday Bourbon with the 2016 release, says this year’s bottles are chocolate and pepper forward. It’s essentially a deep and spicy bourbon, with a dry finish.

But the unique element of the 2017 release is that it will be released at two proof points. Because there were evaporation issues when transferring some of the bourbon from holding tanks to the bottling line, some bottles will be released at 96 proof, and others will be labeled 95.4 proof.

We’ve not yet had the chance to taste either, but you may have trouble finding both. Only Florida and Georgia will get the 95.4 proof release, with 96 bottles going to the remainder of states. Oh, except Kentucky: they get both, of course. We don’t have an exact bottle count to share with you, but stocks are always notoriously small of this special release bourbon, especially since there were only 120 barrels to begin with.

The bottles will both retail for $80, though that’s before taxes, and of course we expect to see inflation in that depending on your market and retailer of choice.

http://www.mensjournal.com/foo...m_campaign=082417_10

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just snagged an OFBB. Blue label.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Nice! It hasn't shown up around here yet. Frown

But I did get a FR "Al Young" LE Whiskey Magazine pick from Julio's for $69.99 - limit one per customer. OBSQ SiB, #LE Barrel #53-1P, 10yr 1 mo, ABV 54.3%. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Nice! It hasn't shown up around here yet. Frown

But I did get a FR "Al Young" LE Whiskey Magazine pick from Julio's for $69.99 - limit one per customer. OBSQ SiB, #LE Barrel #53-1P, 10yr 1 mo, ABV 54.3%. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Nice snag. I was lookimg at breaking bourbon release date and it says ofbb drops sept. KS is usually lat in releases so I wonder if the store hit its brown forman quota early. I just hope its good. Last years was really good as u know geeten, but I had a 2012 that was awful.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Every time I see this thread title, I think of Hoss and Little Joe.

Posts: 107257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just tasted 2016 old forrester BB versus 2017 old forrester BB blue tape. Does not even come close to 2016. If you have a 2016 you will be disappointed in this years release!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice glass.

Seems a bit of a different shape than the Elijah Craig branded Glencairn one I have. Could be the angle, I suppose.

(Not a birthday bourbon fan, myself.)

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Its an optical illusion. They are all the same. Im guessing one distributor has a lock on all the gelncairns in KY. I went with the cheapest available at the distillerys which happened to be buffalo trace. For 7.99 a glass. I did end up with a few willet glasses since im a fan boi.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Every time I see this thread title, I think of Hoss and Little Joe.

Adam gets no respect.