SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Ha, ha . . . vatting happens all the time. But don't knock 'til you've tried it. You've heard of "Poor Man's Pappy" haven't you - 3:2 OWA:W12. Otherwise known as the StraightBourbon.com (SB) blend.

At least the boys at the Wall Street Journal have tried it and liked it . . . .

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

As do I. I mix up a small batch and keep it, in of all places, a 375ml Blanton's bottle. I prefer it over straight Weller 12.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a blast, Deqlyn! Which distilleries did you visit? Obviously the ones you scored bottles of, Maker's, Willett, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Beam. The Others?

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Well gents i just finished the bourbon tour. 12 distilleries 3 days. Scored:

Makers 46 cask strength signed by billy jr. X4
Willett 12 yr bourbon FE
Willett 13 yr bourbon FE
Willett 3 yr rye
Toddys 4 roses pick OESV 9 yr
Wild turkey rare breed at 46n2s reco.
4 roses OE something from distillery 8 yr
Knob creek 120 single barrel that i filled x2

Good trip

Also picked up TBD/alltechs kentucky ale, a single 12oz of each version.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Beam
Willett
Heavenhill elijiah craig
Heaven hill evan williams
Bulleit/weller
Wild turkey
4 roses
Town branch distillery
Buffalo trace
Woodford
Bartons
Makers mark

Also went to the entrances of churchill downsx and louisville slugger.

It was a fun and expensive 3 days!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
How are those Willett bourbons, D?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a case of 12 year old OLD POGUE. I drove 500 miles round trip in 10 hours to get it. By the way it was $90 a bottle. Much better then the $17.99 (FL price) stuff I drink on a regular basis.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Whistle Pig? Seeing several varieties of it here. One of which they want $600 for??? The regular I believe 10 year is $89 though.

Interesting story, being Canadian derived and Vermont bottled.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
How are those Willett bourbons, D?

Just got back. Going to crack one tonight. Kind of a gamble but its the only ones ive ever seen. Overpriced too in the giftshop. $169 and $175, limit 2.

It seems every gift shop is a little overpriced to keep local poachers out. Considering the drive was 1,819 miles figures id grab em. Ill report back. Hopefuly tonight! But have ALOT to sample!

Whistlepig is ok, not 75 bucks good. Better bet is finding alberta premium rye as they source it.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ho-lee-sheeiiittt. Gooood stuff my first owned bottle

Nose raisins and figs

Palate small bit of, vanilla, toffee, slight mint

Finish slight oak, raisins toffee, caramel

I think theres some wheat in here for 120 proof its not only really smooth but the heat stays at the top of the palette. No kentucky hug here. Paid 175 at the distillery while its over priced so they can keep it in stock it was worth it. Havent touched the 12 yr yet

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice. It sounds delicious.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Nice. It sounds delicious.

It reminds me of my 2013 george t stagg minus the chocolate notes. Quite pleasent. Not as good as btac stagg but damn tastey.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
Anyone tried the Whistle Pig? Seeing several varieties of it here. One of which they want $600 for??? The regular I believe 10 year is $89 though.

Interesting story, being Canadian derived and Vermont bottled.

I have a bottle and it's very good, but worth $89.00? That's hard to say with Sazarac and Rittenhouse out there for $30.00, and Pikesville for $50.00. It is still a Alberta Distilleries sourced product, and many say if you're ever in Canada and can get your hands on some Alberta Premium 25 for less, you won't regret it.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Results of the first lottery of the season - scored a BTAC Thomas H. Handy rye (a little over MSRP @ $125)! Second best this year to William Larue Weller, I'm told - we'll see . . . . . . Big Grin

Now where's my bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yo Rye for a SBS? Roll Eyes

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Let us know if the Handy lives up to the reputation.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice score geeten! Youre going to have mail soon!

I snagged a bottle of elmer for 42..

posted Hide Post
BevMo had their annual clusterfuck of an online sale today. I managed Old Rip, Birthday bourbon, George T Stagg, and William Larue Weller. With a new bottle on sale every hour it was a very unproductive day for work but a very productive though expensive day for bourbon. The bulk of the Van Winkle line will go on sale at some point in the future. No idea if I'll get the invite email. It was a good but frustrating day. Really looking forward to Stagg and Weller.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
BevMo had their annual clusterfuck of an online sale today. I managed Old Rip, Birthday bourbon, George T Stagg, and William Larue Weller. With a new bottle on sale every hour it was a very unproductive day for work but a very productive though expensive day for bourbon. The bulk of the Van Winkle line will go on sale at some point in the future. No idea if I'll get the invite email. It was a good but frustrating day. Really looking forward to Stagg and Weller.

dang, nice score. tell me it wasnt at the prices i am seeing. I've been continually reading we are pretty much screwed and bourbon is soon to be come like Scotch. Super overpriced as the market bears.

posted Hide Post
quote:
dang, nice score. tell me it wasnt at the prices i am seeing. I've been continually reading we are pretty much screwed and bourbon is soon to be come like Scotch. Super overpriced as the market bears.

BTAC $110, Old Rip $80, Birthday $76. Add tax and shipping for each bottle. SRP on BTAC is $90.

There's plenty of good to great bourbon available at reasonable-ish prices. We're not going back to what it was 5 years ago. I keep telling people waiting for the bubble to burst and a second glut that now might be the good old days if China and India get a taste for bourbon. Think it's tough now? Wait for 3x market pressure.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

BTAC $110, Old Rip $80, Birthday $76. Add tax and shipping for each bottle. SRP on BTAC is $90.

There's plenty of good to great bourbon available at reasonable-ish prices. We're not going back to what it was 5 years ago. I keep telling people waiting for the bubble to burst and a second glut that now might be the good old days if China and India get a taste for bourbon. Think it's tough now? Wait for 3x market pressure.

That was exactly what the article stated. Asia and russia have gone full blown bourbon crazy.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

To your point, I was reading a very good review of Russell's Reserve 15 year old today, and ready to buy it until I got to the $250.00 price tag. Wild Turkey has been one of the distillers that seems to be pushing prices up, while Buffalo Trace is one that seems to be holding the line. That said unless demand drops, WT's price structure may be closer to where we are headed for super premium bourbon, anyway.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

To your point, I was reading a very good review of Russell's Reserve 15 year old today, and ready to buy it until I got to the $250.00 price tag. Wild Turkey has been one of the distillers that seems to be pushing prices up, while Buffalo Trace is one that seems to be holding the line. That said unless demand drops, WT's price structure may be closer to where we are headed for super premium bourbon, anyway.

i have no love for wild turkey. I bought a rare breed in the gift shop, its the best of the lot, masters keep was okay but not 135 spectacular for a 17 year bourbon. I try to like them cause they have better availability but they just dont fit my flavor profile. They are not what I think of when I think fine bourbon either so maybe its a mental thing.

Scored a Rip van winkle today.