SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

To your point, I was reading a very good review of Russell's Reserve 15 year old today, and ready to buy it until I got to the $250.00 price tag. Wild Turkey has been one of the distillers that seems to be pushing prices up, while Buffalo Trace is one that seems to be holding the line. That said unless demand drops, WT's price structure may be closer to where we are headed for super premium bourbon, anyway.

Buffalo Trace/Sazerac is holding the line on pricing but not out of some altruistic motive. Van Winkle and to a lesser extent BTAC are essentially advertising at this point. Both lines represent little more than rounding errors at corporate but offer a world of free and gushing publicity. Every celebrity chef and wanna be booze writer is on their jock making lists of top rated bourbons and hard to find or never find bourbons that are the best.

BT/Saz play both ends. They kept suggested prices below true market price so the best was affordable and when folks couldn't get them - wait for it - Weller and Saz and Stagg Jr. and Elmer were available until the hype pushed those stocks out easy reach. They trot Julian Van Winkle out and talk about reporting stores that charge too much knowing full well they sell to distributors and those distributors often force stores to take cases of garbage for the chance to get a bottle or two of some sought after limited bottle. If BT/Saz charged even close to true market for VW and BTAC they'd get an unnecessary black eye. Why kill the golden goose?

The Turkey limiteds are hit or miss. Master's Keep is over priced for what it is but the 1998 was great and worth the price. The good old 101 is a great pour for under $20. The store selected Russell's Reserve Single Barrels are among the best things going right now. Campari is kinda figuring out what they have and how to make it work.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
what is the damn bird on the side of the distillery at Wild turkeys name? I can't freaking remember its killing me.

Also further tonight:

Midwinters Dram, 1792 high rye, jeffersons rum cask finish, buffalo trace SB, ETL, Woodford cognac finish, yellow stone.

I am gaining on you Berto Wink

edit: not in quality though...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Hey Deglyn,

Don't think we'll ever catch up to Berto . . . Frown

But I did buy my first bottle of SAOS - 11yr 110.4 proof Single Barrel yesterday. $54.99 OTD. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The Scotch-ization of Bourbon is the worst thing to ever happen to it, for everyone other than the sellers and trend followers. And it gets worse every year. I'll just quit buying anywhere near as much. Fuck em. They're only getting so much of my money, regardless.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Hey Deglyn,

Don't think we'll ever catch up to Berto . . . Frown

But I did buy my first bottle of SAOS - 11yr 110.4 proof Single Barrel yesterday. $54.99 OTD. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Thats a nice snag! My store is doing another barrel pick, the last one was delicious so i am waiting and will stock up this time. I also havent been through our local raffle here yet either. So I have a chance to go all "berto" on everyone Big Grin

I agree 46n2, i have enough bourbon right i could not buy for years and the fire would burn for two days if the house went up. I am now in your phase 3 which is drinking it and bringing down the bottle count.

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Managed a couple bottles of Blanton's(price is up 10$ this year) a couple Elijah Craig small batch and a bottle of Willet pot still single barrel.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Picked up another ETL and a EC.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Caught a sale on WT Rare Breed, $8.00 a half bottle. Picked up two for $16.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a bottle of ETL a couple days ago. My favorite bourbon and my stock is getting low. The price on it keeps creeping up though - I live in Bardstown (Bourbon City) - you can find a lot of limited releases but with all the tourism, be prepared to pay for it. I often check small liquor stores when I'm traveling.
All that said, I'm really liking the new EC bottle. They had a few at an event I attended a few weeks ago and I think they really look good.

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I use to pay $25.00 for ETL, two years ago it went to $29.99, last year was $32.99. This bottle I paid $39.99. Blanton's was $52.99. I may switch to Blanton's.

The reason I posted the pic was the new bottle from EC. Much nicer presentation.

Edit to add the EC is a store bought private barrel selection

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Yeah I saw the new Elijah Craig bottles in my store, can't decide if I like it better. I wasn't a huge fan of the hooch inside last time, only reason I didn't buy some. A bit....medicinal?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philomega:
I picked up a bottle of ETL a couple days ago. My favorite bourbon and my stock is getting low. The price on it keeps creeping up though - I live in Bardstown (Bourbon City) - you can find a lot of limited releases but with all the tourism, be prepared to pay for it. I often check small liquor stores when I'm traveling.
All that said, I'm really liking the new EC bottle. They had a few at an event I attended a few weeks ago and I think they really look good.

I was at toddys 2 weekends ago, great place! You should run in and grab his barrel pick 4 roses OESV.

The new EC bottle according to the folks at the bourbon heritage center in bardstown said the bigger bottle is cause bartenders asked for a taller thinner bottle.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

I snagged a bottle of the EC the other day, as well. Mink's (Marietta) barrel pick, for $26.99. Pretty good for that price.

Do you regularly find ETL in Atlanta?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

Ok, I just picked up the EC small batch, paid $16. I will give it another shot.
Also picked up a 12 year Arberlour scotch on a friends recommendation.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I entered the lottery for PVW 15 today. Price is up to $100 now. Haven't done too well with the lottery lately. Lot B is next week. Wish me luck.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I entered the lottery for PVW 15 today. Price is up to $100 now. Haven't done too well with the lottery lately. Lot B is next week. Wish me luck.

All things considered, that's not too bad - price wise. I don't think I've ever paid less than $50 for Pappy15 (the Rye was only $40, and the Stitzel Weller distilled 20yr Bourbon was only around $75, eight, maybe ten, years ago). The prices and availability held steady for a few years before its popularity started to skyrocket for regular reasons plus when Justified started blabbering the VW name, for years, to millions.

Having to participate in a lottery just to maybe get one is a pain, but I hope it works out for you. Trends be damned, I could almost drink nothing but Pappy 15, and their Rye. I've just always liked them, from day one, and I should have gathered and sat on even more of their Rye back then; it's such a pain in the balls to find nowadays, like the 15 is.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Willett Small Batch cask strength 3 year Rye. Anyone tried this? Cosco has it for $39. At 112 proof looks like it could be interesting.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
Willett Small Batch cask strength 3 year Rye. Anyone tried this? Cosco has it for $39. At 112 proof looks like it could be interesting.

Yes has a hellova nose. Straight rye bred. Really good stuff. I have 3 bottles of the family estate 3 yr rye

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I picked it up. Picked it over the Booker's so hopefully good stuff, but I do like rye so optimistic.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:

Yes has a hellova nose. Straight rye bred. Really good stuff. I have 3 bottles of the family estate 3 yr rye

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Do you regularly find ETL in Atlanta?

I am able to get some every year. I usually get two - three. This year I got two and I have a bottle from last year that I am going to finish. The store I shop at buys a lot of Buffalo Trace in past two months they have gotten store selection of Blanton's and Eagle Rare. I found Pappy 12 on the shelf there a few years ago. I was talking to the owner and I told him I shop thete because good bourbon makes the shelf and isn't hidden in the back. I'm sure they hide some for themselves and special customers but I can walk in and find good whiskey on the shelf.

Chi Chi, get the yayo