SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
No worries.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question for the experts : Makers Mark Whisky, 1996 "Blue Jean" label edition

Sell unopened bottle or go ahead and drink?

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Question for the experts : Makers Mark Whisky, 1996 "Blue Jean" label edition

Sell unopened bottle or go ahead and drink?

The whiskey inside is the same ole 90proof no-age-statement Makers Mark that's in a kabillion different bottles over many years. Regular Makers is a good, mid tier, wheater Bourbon, limited edition label aside. That particular one was for the UK Wildcats '96 NCAA championship, hence the blue denim label and white wax.

A quick search found various internet posts over the years stating values ranging from $75-300, but beyond serious Makers Mark collectors or a big Wildcats fan, it's not really worth anything more than any other typical bottle of Makers. If you think you can find such a collector who will pay that, go for it, and buy a bunch of regular whiskey instead.

Me, I'd just drink it, but I'm not the collector sort.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It has a medium finish and isn’t a bad deal for the price if you’re looking for a new take on rye.
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Hows the canadian club rye? I love the price, I
expect young and thin?

Ha, 46n2. You got something to trade im all ears! I just mailed off some today.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
So a while back, some of you recommended (46 and 2 I believe) that I try Wild Turkey Rare Breed. After opening it, trying a few shots and letting the bottle sit, now that I'm well into it here is my opinion: I absolutely love it! In fact, this and the Four Roses Small Batch have a very similar flavor profile. Sipping it, I get what I'm guessing is the rye in the finish. Really enjoying it.

So thanks for the recommendation, it was spot on.

Now to try some Blantons.

I have tried the Rare Breed and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. On 46and2's recommendation I picked up bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and promptly went out and bought a second. This one has no age statement, but is bottled at 110 proof and is not chill filtered so tastes closer to a barrel proof. Really wonderful stuff and makes me want to explore the line a bit more, but for some reason the bottles I have don't look like the bottles on their website. I've been eying a bottle of Kentucky Spirit that was unavailable here for almost 2 years, but is back. 46 says the RRSB is a bit better, but I'm really curious. Really unique bottle will look great on the bar as well.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't recall if it was me or not, but I'm happy to hear you liked it. For reasons I've never quite understood, Wild Turkey gets a bad rap, which is ridiculous as its every bit the same quality as any other Bourbon from any other Distillery, and older than many of them. Now, maybe some folks don't like the flavor, but that's different.

I like the flavor, whether regular WT101, or Rare Breed, or Russell's, etc, or my favorite - the Japanese only release of 15yo WT101 (regular 101 being a mix of ages, 4/8/10/12yr). If you ever have a chance to try older (12+) Wild Turkey, no matter the release, try it...

As to the Russell's vs Rare Breed, it's a pain, because what we really want is essentially a barrel proof, 12+yo, age statement, premium selection, and you can't get everything in any one expression from them. You can get barrel strength with an age statement, but it won't be single barrel and it won't be particularly old, or you can get better juice like Russell's in single barrel, but it's low proof.... what I want is 15yo Russell's in Barrel Strength. Smile

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Blanton's at $56 - buy or pass?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Prices are controlled in VA, Blanton's is $58.99 here, and that should be retail. Blanton's at any kind of discount vs. retail is probably reasonable, but there is a very curious anomaly here in VA. The 375ml bottles are $25.99, which means we can buy 2 for $52.98 and save $6.01 over the 750ml bottle. Odd, and given ABC here sells at retail, I wonder if anyone else experiences anything like this.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Ok, so this looks like an average price then. The only other place I've seen Blantons around here they want $99. But hey, it comes in a velvet bag, so...

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I should add Blanton's is not always available here, maybe 70% of the time. That could mean the price is good, or that could mean we just can't get enough.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well just did a little taste test.

Van winkle 23 was REALLY good. Exceded expectations. But as you forumites said the 15 PVW was definstely better!

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Van winkle 23 was REALLY good. Exceded expectations. But as you forumites said the 15 PVW was definstely better!

Ah so - I see you're in Bourbon Heaven now. Well done, grasshopper!

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes. Was a good day yesterday! Today, pretty good too.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
So I decided to pick up the Blanton's, and I am not disappointed. I enjoy the finish, which to me is a smooth and balanced rye. It is good neat, no need for water at this proof.

Another good sipper for the cabinet.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Blanton's - yummy! Used to be $40.99 (Grand Opening TW&M price for about 9 months!) a year ago, now all the way up to $46.99 OTD. Still my favorite pour. Smile

But I had a few fingers left in a bottle that I needed (another story about re-use of empty Blanton's bottles for Christmas presents) so I added some OGD114 (as suggested by another bourbon geek on another forum) - WOW!!! I'd guestimate that a 3:2 vatting of Blanton's to OGD114 is just about perfect on a cold winter's night. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
^^^^Ehrmagerd! Blended Bourbon! Eek
Big Grin

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blended Bourbon

Eww.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Ha, ha . . . vatting happens all the time. But don't knock 'til you've tried it. You've heard of "Poor Man's Pappy" haven't you - 3:2 OWA:W12. Otherwise known as the StraightBourbon.com (SB) blend.

At least the boys at the Wall Street Journal have tried it and liked it . . . .

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well gents i just finished the bourbon tour. 12 distilleries 3 days. Scored:

Makers 46 cask strength signed by billy jr. X4
Willett 12 yr bourbon FE
Willett 13 yr bourbon FE
Willett 3 yr rye
Toddys 4 roses pick OESV 9 yr
Wild turkey rare breed at 46n2s reco.
4 roses OE something from distillery 8 yr
Knob creek 120 single barrel that i filled x2

Good trip

Also picked up TBD/alltechs kentucky ale, a single 12oz of each version.

posted Hide Post
My son and I broke into him pappy 10year old he found for $65. Sweeeet

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post