SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got something called Rip Van Winkle for Christmas. I don't know much about whiskey, but it makes a good bourbon and coke.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I got something called Rip Van Winkle for Christmas. I don't know much about whiskey, but it makes a good bourbon and coke.

I prefer to mix mine with grape soda.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Not yet but september is the month supposedly. 4 yr rye, 4 yr cask strength bourbon

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

You guys are killing me here. Please use those smiley things when you make a joke.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Picked up some yellow label cask strength single barrel bottles from 4 Roses gift shop that are truly astonishing.

very, very interesting.

I had the same experience with Buffalo Trace. I had tried it before and thought it was OK, but wouldn't buy it again. Then I picked up a bottle from a hand picked barrel, and it was very very good. I've had very good luck with the hand picked barrel thing, but I find it particularly interesting to get a single barrel of a product that isn't generally available as a single barrel like BT. And the place I get them from doesn't jack the price up. I seem to recall paying $22.00 for the BT.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

You guys are killing me here. Please use those smiley things when you make a joke.

My wife likes to use Diet Coke.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

(skeptical glare)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Not yet but september is the month supposedly. 4 yr rye, 4 yr cask strength bourbon

yes, and yes, please.

I'll be watching here, too, then.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Cant get in KS or MO but ill buy an ass town when its released.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ I'll talk to the handful of buyers I know around CO and see if I can get some intel on who will be getting some and how many... luckily Willett is a little less trendy than most...

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
^ I'll talk to the handful of buyers I know around CO and see if I can get some intel on who will be getting some and how many... luckily Willett is a little less trendy than most...

for now, my guess is it will hit CA first.I will buy at least a case of the combined 2

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found the 3 year old Willet Rye from an online retailer who will apparently ship to VA. Most won't, and VA doesn't get it. Price is $45.00 + shipping. They also have Noah's Mill at the same price, another we don't get. 2 bottles keeps the shipping reasonable. What do you think 46?

I am drinking Knob Creek Single Barrel right now, and this one has really changed after opening for a couple of months. It's gone from never buy again (4/10) to really enjoying it (8/10). I've experienced improvement before, but never this much.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Noah's Mill is nothing special. It is barrel strength but it seems to lack, the syrupy mouth feel, the flavors are very subtle nothing jumped out.

While it is always on the shelf here, so are Stagg Jr, knob Creek, Bookers, all I'd take over Noah's Mill

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Thanks, GA. Funny thing is I can order all the Willet I want, but they limit the Noah's Mill to one bottle each. I suspect I'm better buying two bottles of Willett.

posted Hide Post
Noah's Mill is hit or miss. Had a few that were great and some that were forgettable. The nature of sourcing means no batch is the same.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Willett 3 year rye is nice. A few pages back i mention the 3 bottles i have :-) you may hold oit for the 4 year. Ive had the new family 2 yr, now 3 yr. Both are really good for being so young. Skip noah mills.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Picked up a bottle of the Willett Family Estate Small Batch Rye that just came in yesterday - "Aged in Hand Selected White Oak Barrels for Three Years, Hand Bottled at Cask Strength, A/C 56.3% by Vol., (112.6 Proof)". $39.99 OTD.

Is this the "Droid you were looking for?" Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I don't like rye or this thread would cost me twice as much money.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

Picked up a bottle of the Willett Family Estate Small Batch Rye that just came in yesterday - "Aged in Hand Selected White Oak Barrels for Three Years, Hand Bottled at Cask Strength, A/C 56.3% by Vol., (112.6 Proof)". $39.99 OTD.

Is this the "Droid you were looking for?" Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

No gene, i have 3 of those left and 2 of the 2 years still Big Grin. 4 yr gets released soon tho