SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Went to a bar last night and they wanted $160 for a pour of Bookers rye. I know it's Vegas and it's their job to take my money from me but get the fuck outta here. I settled for an Old Fashioned which was pretty tasty.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Wow. Paid for the bottle 3xs there.

Anyone tried canadian 100% ryes? How do they stack up? Supposedly whistelpig is just alberta premium rye.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Went to a bar last night and they wanted $160 for a pour of Bookers rye. I know it's Vegas and it's their job to take my money from me but get the fuck outta here. I settled for an Old Fashioned which was pretty tasty.

Retail on that bottle was $300.00, so cost per 2 oz. pour would be $24 if they paid retail. Standard markup on whiskey in a bar here is about 350%. So yeah, seems pretty high even if they paid $500 for the bottle which is possible.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Wow. Paid for the bottle 3xs there.

Anyone tried canadian 100% ryes? How do they stack up? Supposedly whistelpig is just alberta premium rye.

I have a bottle of the WP10 open and it's very very good, one of the best Rye's I've had. But, it's also $80.00. Is it $80.00 good? Let's just say if it were $50.00, I'd have more than one bottle.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes, i have a bottle, but its sourced from alberta premium though. Which is about 20 a bottle.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Yes, i have a bottle, but its sourced from alberta premium though. Which is about 20 a bottle.

I've read that, but what is the age of yours?

Canadaian Ryes are interesting. Technically, they don't have to have ANY rye to be called a rye.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
My wp is 10 year.

Interesting on the CAN rye. The bottles ive seen are 100% rye. Ive seen 12 yr 90% rye pendelton, i just want brave enough to gamble.

http://whiskey.underthelabel.c...mium-Canadian-Whisky

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I enjoy listening to people who know WTF they are talking about.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^ That was great, Gator, thanks.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes GA Gator, that was a great video tour!

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
My boss had me and another colleague over for a scotch tasting Saturday, as he is a big scotch drinker.

14 bottles on the table, lined up by category (blended, speyside, highland, and islay peats).

Wow! Couple of things:
1. I like scotch!
2. I like peat more than I thought I would.
3. It is generally smoother than bourbon, especially the longer aged stuff.

My favorites: Macallan 25 year, and 18 year; Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg for a peaty islay style; Oban and shoot, I had a hard time finding a bad one.

Now, back to your regular bourbon programming....

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
My favorites: Macallan 25 year...

At the price they want for that stuff, I would hope you like it.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
After trying a Nikka 12 Pure Malt whiskey and a delicious StaggJr (Batch #11), I helped (!?!) a good (!!!) friend finish a bottle of 2007 Saz18. We honored the "dead soldier" with a couple of healthy pours of PVW15. What a wonderful Whiskey Wednesday night. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^ Wow. Personal preference in order, please. Were the Saz and the PVW opposite ends of the spectrum of did their ages bring their profiles closer together?

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
^^^ Wow. Personal preference in order, please. Were the Saz and the PVW opposite ends of the spectrum of did their ages bring their profiles closer together?

The pouring order was determined by my generous host. The Saz18 showed fabulous mature rye up front with a long, long finish. PVW15 was a vibrant wheater with a fresh nose, vanilla & some spice on the palate and a long finish. Big Grin

I'm still nosing the empty bottles even today! Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I found the BTAC Saz18 underwhelming, after having if a few years in a row, at which point I just quit buying it and instead buy the Handy and BabySaz instead.

And trends be damned, I could just about drink nothing but Pappy 15 (and VW Rye).

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Good first impression.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Wows the forester prohib taste like?

I went looking to buy something, still have 500 in my bourbon account til end of year. Not a whoop. Finally added buffalo trace to my collection and did a smal tasting. Better than i remember, not as smoky.

Uhhh 46n2 how bout throwin a guy a bone, lol

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My final opinion will wait till it's aerated some. But tastes would be tart apple, roasted burnt sugar (not what I think of for Carmel), rye spice. I'm pleasantly surprised. Beats Orphan barrel, knob Creek single barrel, and Noah's Mill.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Saw this earlier...

"Buffalo Trace unearths ‘bourbon Pompeii’ of 1873 distillery on Kentucky River"

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post