SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Had a great night of tasting with a friend.

Rip van winkle to start
Mitchers 10 yr
Willett 13 yr
Old scout 10 yr bp
WLW 2007, wow the best of the lot
Makers 46 cask strength

Putting makers and mitchers in the lineup didnt do them justice but it was a delicious night.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just scored 2016 handy!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Awesome.

That last two inches of Handy, Stagg, and WLW are so good, all those bits, it's so chewy and delicious... That's really how I want every whiskey I like... bottled unfiltered at cask strength, and then the end of each bottle. If I were Trump-wealthy that's all I'd drink. I'd give away 80-90% of each bottle and just savor the end. That's normal and healthy, right?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Totally feasible, lol!

The only bottle thats even close to that low is 2013 stagg, its just below the antlers. I wont be touchin it til a replacement comes.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Had a great night of tasting with a friend.

Rip van winkle to start
Mitchers 10 yr
Willett 13 yr
Old scout 10 yr bp
WLW 2007, wow the best of the lot
Makers 46 cask strength

Putting makers and mitchers in the lineup didnt do them justice but it was a delicious night.

That Michter's is pretty good if its 2016. How was the Old Scout?

I had some Booker's Oven Batch last night. That stuff was so big and meaty, it really does credit to the concept of barrel proof bourbons.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Old scout was good. Tough as it followed the willett 13 yr. But still quality. My liquor store will be doing another barrel pick which i have half of last years left.

Yes it was 2016 mitchers. I am totally convinced its 10 yr old buffalo trace. Its good but i probably wouldnt drop a hundy on it again.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Was granted permission to drop up to $200 on a special bottle of something for our company Christmas party. Probably ought to buy 4 bottles of $50 bourbon...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you shop but you'll likely have better luck finding four good bottles than a buffalo trace antique collection.

How many people will be drinking the Bourbon?

What I've seen locally that I'd consider. Stag Jr, EH Taylor rye, store barrel selection Eagle Rare, & Elijah Craig, Blanton's, ETL (may need to hunt and ask around), old Forrester prohibition (I like this a lot barrel strength, very smooth).

By the way if you want me to pick up any of these from my store, I'll bring it to midtown and you could pick it up from there. My office is a block from midtown Marta station

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My shop has a selection of all of those but they are lottery only. I'm gonna run by Green's and a couple off Clairmont this afternoon and see if they have anything special.

Probably just 5 or 6 of us drinking and there's already a good standard selection... Bookers, ER, Blanton, Jefferson Ocean, etc. I'll let you know if I can't find something "special."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Decatur package on Claremont Ave has a nice selection. If you don't mind going that far east. They have a nice selection of bourbon and rye. They do not always put out all their stock. I would ask if the have ETL.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I would like to elicit opinions on Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 yr or 11 yr old cask strength.

I know this is sourced and I've been burned by sourced bourbon. But for $50 I've got to wonder if it's any good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GA Gator,

Chi Chi, get the yayo

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I have never had the 11 bit the 10 yr is good. A nice smoky bourbon. I had a barrel pick that was amazing but the regular is good too.

posted Hide Post
The Old Scout bourbons I've had have all been good to great. I suppose there could be a dud barrel in the SA warehouse but I haven't tasted it or heard about it. $50 for a cask strength 10-11 yr is a good deal these days. I'd buy but maybe ask the seller for notes if you think you'll get more than some stock BS answer.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been confirmed that Booker's suggested retail price will be $100 in 2017. We all know that's bullshit. Beam can fuck off. Whether you stock up or not is up to you.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It's been confirmed that Booker's suggested retail price will be $100 in 2017. We all know that's bullshit. Beam can fuck off. Whether you stock up or not is up to you.

Scotchization. Confirmed by whom?

Nevermind found it. I dont drink this swill anyway

https://whiskycast.com/beam-su...-of-bookers-bourbon/

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged a btac eagle rare today

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Snagged a btac eagle rare today

Great - I got a nice bottle today, too. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to dranking club tonight. The '16 VW rye can't carry the '15s jock.

We cracked a couple of group buys that were stupid expensive. The Old Overholt rye, distilled 1933 and bottled in 1938 needed some air but proved to be delicious. It was funky but sweet and not easily pegged as rye. Glad I got to taste history. My grandpa turned 18 in 1938.

The other group purchase was a Very Old Fitzgerald distilled in 1957 and bottled in 1965. Stitzel Weller goodness from back in the day. It was goddamn expensive but worth it. Sweet on the nose and very light but dense on the palate. I don't want any part of buying a bottle of this era for myself but it's prime SW juice and worthy of the hype.

Also drank some mead, mezcal, sour beer, and various bourbon and rye.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ I bet that Very Old Fitz was great. I've had lots of SW juice, but nothing that old. Very cool...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ I bet that Very Old Fitz was great. I've had lots of SW juice, but nothing that old. Very cool...

Ive had the 1995 Antique weller, aged 7 years, it was good. not VOF good but fun to try an old stitzel version.