SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Yup. It’s pretty good. I’m close to the distillery, I’m going to try and visit sometime this summer.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elkabong
Smooth Ambler Old Scout (No one had tried this before - big hit)

Before they stopped selling Smooth Ambler in VA, I got my hands on an Old Scout Barrel Select 13 year. I enjoyed the 9 yr, but the 13 was outstanding. Certainly the best “craft” Bourbon I’ve ever had. The distillery is not that far away, barely over the state line in WV. Time for a road trip.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Happy new year all! I just picked up some Widow Jane yesterday. Anyone try this before?

It has garnered some very good reviews. I was very pleased to get a bottle as a gift, but was frankly disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much given its reputation, but I felt like the quality/price ratio was fairly low, but it’s one I’d certainly like to try again.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Before they stopped selling Smooth Ambler in VA, I got my hands on an Old Scout Barrel Select 13 year. I enjoyed the 9 yr, but the 13 was outstanding. Certainly the best “craft” Bourbon I’ve ever had. The distillery is not that far away, barely over the state line in WV. Time for a road trip.

The well aged Smooth Ambler offerings are sourced from MGP in Indiana. The guys at Smooth Ambler are great guys. They’re totally transparent about the process and they’re doing great by their community. There’s nothing wrong with sourcing because they manage to pick good product. There are from time to time find distillery exclusive bottles that are sought after. Since you’re so close you should follow them on social media so you can get a heads up on distillery only releases. Folks drive from much farther away.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Happy new year all! I just picked up some Widow Jane yesterday. Anyone try this before?

It has garnered some very good reviews. I was very pleased to get a bottle as a gift, but was frankly disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much given its reputation, but I felt like the quality/price ratio was fairly low, but it’s one I’d certainly like to try again.

I agree with this one. It was ok but usually goes for $80 and there are better bourbons in that price range.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
I am only about a year into my foray. Expanding my Bar with sipping Rum, Tequilas and Bourbon.

So far:
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson's Ocean
Woodford Reserve
Angel's Envy
Yellowstone limited 2019

Tons yet to try and I lean more toward the ones with less pepper and burn.

Anything you guys would recommend?

I would like to try offerings from:

Buffalo Trace
Blanton's
Elijah Craig

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
I am only about a year into my foray. Expanding my Bar with sipping Rum, Tequilas and Bourbon.

So far:
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson's Ocean
Woodford Reserve
Angel's Envy
Yellowstone limited 2019

Buffalo Trace
Blanton's
Elijah Craig

Michters American

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elijah Craig bourbon is one of my favorites. A glass with some ice, and you are good to go. Give it a try!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Michters American

The unblended? Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Elijah Craig bourbon is one of my favorites. A glass with some ice, and you are good to go. Give it a try!!

Will do! Thanks!

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buffalo Trace
Blanton's
Elijah Craig

Regular Buffalo Trace is a solid buy for around $25.

Blanton's is difficult to find in most places. It's good but not great and certainly not worth paying any kind of premium for so If you find it for $55-$60 go ahead. It's really not any better than many lower priced bottles.

Elijah Craig small batch is under $30 and a quintessential bourbon. The Barrel Proof offering is around $60 and one of the best all around values in the game. I wouldn't stress too much over batch number. Most people proclaiming one batch as leaps and bounds better than another couldn't differentiate between them in a blind tasting and wouldn't have a prayer in a double blind tasting. The 18yr and 23yr are stupid expensive and overly oaked. Your better off saving your money and making out with an oak tree.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:

So far:
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson's Ocean
Woodford Reserve
Angel's Envy
Yellowstone limited 2019

Buffalo Trace
Blanton's
Elijah Craig

Less pepper, I surmise you would like wheat bourbon rather than a bourbon with rye. The rye imparts spice to bourbon i refer to it as spice because in some whiskey like Buffalo trace i taste cinnamon more than pepper.

I personally do not like wheat whiskey because it is to sweet for my taste, but if you are looking for less spice try makers mark, larceny, weller, woodford makes a wheat. MM is probably the easiest to find.

I am a big fan of Elijah Craig but I would consider it high rye and it has a good amount of spice.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen,
I do like the spice just not so much the burn or pepper. I expect my tastes may change as I keep developing my palate and nose. In fact my niece and nephew got me a bourbon nosing kit for Christmas. Can’t wait to try it out. Those are some great suggestions. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I hope to make it down to my favorite store this week or next. I will have my list in hand! Cool

“Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand, to show your friendly intentions.” – Scottish Klondiker’s Proverb

posted Hide Post
If you liked Woodford Reserve, try the Double Oaked.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the winner notification email today from Pennsylvania LCB for a bottle of Pappy 12 year old Reserve. Starting the weekend off right!

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Got the winner notification email today from Pennsylvania LCB for a bottle of Pappy 12 year old Reserve. Starting the weekend off right!

Congratulations.

Sadly, I did not win the lottery here in Ohio for a bottle.

Enjoy!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
If you liked Woodford Reserve, try the Double Oaked.

I have yet to find anyone who does not like the Double Oaked. Good stuff!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Managed to finally find a Bottle of Blanton's after searching since last June. Stuff is just ridiculous to track down and buy.

Came close a few weeks ago when buying a lottery ticket at a local liquor store but they had it for nearly twice the retail price passed and it sold within a week.

Saw that a local shop carries ELIJAH CRAIG for cheap 750 ml is 23.99 and 1.75 L for 42.99 that is about 1/3 to just over half of what I just paid. Will give it a try and compare the two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dfens,

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Managed to finally find a Bottle of Blanton's after searching since last June. Stuff is just ridiculous to track down and buy.

Came close a few weeks ago when buying a lottery ticket at a local liquor store but they had it for nearly twice the retail price passed and it sold within a week.

Saw that a local shop carries ELIJAH CRAIG for cheap 750 ml is 23.99 and 1.75 L for 42.99 that is about 1/3 to just over half of what I just paid. Will give it a try and compare the two.

Love me some Blanton’s !! Its $69. here in NH, when you can find it. Its so smooth. Usual bottle at home is Bulleit.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Was gifted a bottle of Bookers pigskin batch this week. It's massive. 127 proof and HOT.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buffalo Trace
Blanton's
Elijah Craig

I'm like you and don't care for the varieties with pepper or spicy flavors (typically a hotter taste) which is why I tend to stay away from rye.

I think you will love Buffalo Trace as it's more towards Butterscotch, Vanilla and Carmel flavors. I have a buddy who's dad is a liquor salesman and he told me about it 10+ years ago before it became so popular and I have always had a bottle on hand ever since. The bummer is it's twice as expensive as it was then (still reasonable) and tougher to find.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post