SIGforum
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3990054973

October 17, 2020, 12:39 AM
Deqlyn
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Damn!!!!!!

I am relatively new to the wonderful world of Bourbon.

How was the Pappy? As a newbie, would I be able to tell a shot of Pappy from lets say a $55-$75 bottle? What would you compare it to?

I get the hype and would love to have a bottle. In the State of Ohio, it is by lottery, once or twice a year.

I am just not sure I would be able to appreciate the difference.

The closest thing you could compare it to would be weller. As it is the same recipe. To be more specific Old weller antique since theyre closer in proof then weller 12. The problem is weller antique before the craze was around 7 years aged and pappys are a minium of 15.

So your other option would be weller 12 but its lower in proof.

Some claimed the original orphan barrel barterhouse was 20 yr stitzel weller juice but ive had most renditions and wasnt impressed. It mighta been 20 yr old weller but it was the best.

Outside of weller if you stick to the wheated bourbons you can get similar notes. But nothing wheated to my knowledge is aged 15+ years.

Odds are you wouldnt know the difference if you are that new. But it wouldnt take but a year or two to get a snobby palette. Depth and complexities come with increased aging so you can spot the older stuff fairly easy if its good juice. I have had some 13 year that tasted like tired, lock stock rye, so its still an art.

Ive had all the VWs outside of the odd years like 17s and 25s. 15 is my favorite but i like 20 as well. 23 is not worth the 300$ if you could buy it everyday but since you cant find it, it makes good trade bait.

The vw rye tastes more like bourbon than rye so while it is good if youre a big bold rye fan it prolly wont be ur fave.

Thats the super short snobby version. Good hunting and avoid the fakes!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
October 17, 2020, 09:38 AM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
^^^Saw a bottle of Makers 101, should I go get it? BTW, sent you an email last week YJ, you get it?

On a side note, we spent a few days in NOLA last week. We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone, nice place. One night I noticed they had a bottle of Pappy 20 year, never seen it or had it. I knew it would be expensive, thinking $50 for an oz. I got my Pappy in a plastic cup and a bill for $175 Eek I'm also a 20% tipper.. OOPS.

We weren't allowed to drink at the bar, to go only because Plandemic. The wife even let me off easy, she's awesome

I didn't get your email... I will check spam folder. I miss the old cajun lunches with the gon crew.

Edit: I found the email. I have looked and pondered on that little Omega for a week or so now...

Minks also has some MM 101 by I didn't see the point of you can get cash strength or these other releases...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
November 25, 2020, 09:11 PM
YellowJacket
Happy Thanksgiving to all of the bourbon lovers of Sigforum. We did our big celebration today with family and I'm calling the night off with the Makers Mark Private Select that I've grown so fond of.

Looked back to some long ago emails looking for a Ga Gator recommendation and also found some stuff from 280Nosler... did you ever move full time to Atlanta? And some correspondence with GeeTen when he sent me a bottle of ETL that I'm still nursing because I haven't seen a bottle of it since. Hope yall are well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
December 12, 2020, 11:55 AM
P-220
Scored my first Eagle Rare and plan to drink it over my Christmas break.

Expectations are high.

Based on my limited knowledge (approx 8 months), Eagle Rare represents a pretty strong value for a 10 year old bourbon.

State of Ohio $32.00. My Daughter also called me from Costco in Ann Arbor last week and said they had three bottles and wondered if I would like it. She was able to buy all three bottles.

I can hardly wait.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 12, 2020, 12:30 PM
triggertreat
quote:

Expectations are high.

Based on my limited knowledge (approx 8 months), Eagle Rare represents a pretty strong value for a 10 year old bourbon.

State of Ohio $32.00. My Daughter also called me from Costco in Ann Arbor last week and said they had three bottles and wondered if I would like it. She was able to buy all three bottles.

I can hardly wait.

Have you seen this https://www.ohlq.com/ ? Its a good way to see what is available in your area.Most of the time its pretty accurate.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!
December 12, 2020, 12:38 PM
P-220
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:

Expectations are high.

I can hardly wait.

Have you seen this https://www.ohlq.com/ ? Its a good way to see what is available in your area.Most of the time its pretty accurate.

Yes, I look at it daily. Smile

However, what I have found is that some store owners still hold bottles back for their regular customers. One of the stores I visit every week, was full of customers last week on their delivery day. Lots of Weller Special reserve and Antique, and BT. When I walked up to the counter, with 3 other customers behind and beside me, the employee said, you come in every week, don't you? I said I try to. he then asked if I would like a bottle of Eagle Rare, as he had one left. As I was saying "Yes please", the others in line were yelling, "if he does not want it, I'll take it"

Did you enter the lottery this week?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 12, 2020, 04:47 PM
triggertreat
quote:
Did you enter the lottery this week?

Unfortunately no. I live in Michigan close to the Mi-In-Oh line. I usually make a run to Toledo when the mood strikes me.Im retired so it is an easy trip and gives me something to do Smile

December 12, 2020, 04:52 PM
P-220
I have heard Eagle Rare is pretty readily available in MI.

Some have compared it to the availability of Weller in the SW, Ohio area. I can buy Special Reserve and Antique just about every week.

I have just started watching the Bourbon Junkies, who I believe are from MI.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 12, 2020, 04:58 PM
triggertreat
quote:
I have heard Eagle Rare is pretty readily available in MI.

Some have compared it to the availability of Weller in the SW, Ohio area. I can buy Special Reserve and Antique just about every week.

I have just started watching the Bourbon Junkies, who I believe are from MI.

Gays Hops and Schnapps has 2 locations near me in Fremont and Angola Indiana.They get Eagle Rare quite often. Michigan's prices tend to be higher. The Meijers in Angola also has a good selection and always has most marked down.

December 14, 2020, 03:33 PM
VANQUISH
Picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 13 year and a Knob Creek cask strength rye, some kind of limited edition (127 proof).
December 14, 2020, 06:07 PM
P-220
VANQUISH, I recently picked up a Smooth Ambler, Big Level. However, I know nothing about Smooth Ambler. What is your experience?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 14, 2020, 10:03 PM
VANQUISH
P-220, I have not tried any of their offerings yet so can't help right now. It may be a couple of weeks before it gets cracked but I will let you know when I do.

I have been reading old posts in here and saw some good reviews on it so here is to hoping this is a good batch.
December 15, 2020, 05:41 AM
triggertreat
I got the regular not single barrel Smooth Ambler Old Scout and wasn't impressed but YMMV given everyone's taste is different.Not a lot of body and had a little off taste at the end that I couldn't really identify.P-220 how was the Big Level?.

December 15, 2020, 11:24 AM
VANQUISH
I found a bottle of Handy for $700. If anyone would like me to pick it up for them, let me know.
December 15, 2020, 01:20 PM
berto
Big Level is a big fail. It's really unfortunate. I love the guys at Smooth Ambler and what they stand for. They're an incredible benefit to their local area. Big Level is harsh and astringent and just doesn't measure up as good bourbon. Maker's blows it away. Even Larceny is better. A large retailer by me went in big on it and has had their stock on closeout for months. Of course our palates are all different so you might end up loving it. It's definitely something to try before buying.

Smooth Ambler built their rep on sourced bourbon and rye. The original supply is mostly gone. They've rebought and it's up to snuff though not aged as long as of yet.
December 15, 2020, 04:52 PM
triggertreat
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Big Level is a big fail. different so you might end up loving it. It's definitely something to try before buying.

In my book sourced is ok by me .Astringent may be what I tasted.Im not going to pour the bottle down the drain but I really didnt enjoy it.Glad for the experience but will share with friends as perhaps they might like it.Im also not going to ruin a good Coke by mixing Smile

December 15, 2020, 05:50 PM
P-220
I have not tried the Big Level yet. I will give it a shot, hopefully over the Holidays, as I have several days off.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 15, 2020, 05:55 PM
VANQUISH
I found a Willet Pot Still 1.75L and 2- Willet 4 Yr Rye's today.

Anyone want to trade a Willet Small Batch Rye for ETL or Rock Hill Farms? I have not been able to find either of those yet in my travels.
December 16, 2020, 04:37 PM
P-220
There appears to be some EH Taylor Small Batch and EH Taylor Single Barrel in the Cincinnati area. I was unable to snag a bottle.

Here is some of what I have been able to assemble in the last eight months.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P-220,

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
December 17, 2020, 07:15 AM
VANQUISH
That is a nice haul P-220.

I have not been able to find any Weller products around here. I found a couple bottles on Blanton's for $110 each, not sure it is worth that kind of money.

I saw one store that had Col Taylor for $600. Things are nuts around here.