SIGforum
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3990054973

November 23, 2018, 01:18 PM
mr kablammo
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
would a bottle of WHISTLEPIG 10 YR PRIVATE BARREL SELECT or MACALLAN 12 YR make a good Christmas gift?

Why yes, thank you very much. My address is...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
November 24, 2018, 08:40 AM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
would a bottle of WHISTLEPIG 10 YR PRIVATE BARREL SELECT or MACALLAN 12 YR make a good Christmas gift?
i'm just realizing that shipping spirits is problematic / not legal. what other options are there? gift certificates?
November 24, 2018, 02:29 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
i'm just realizing that shipping spirits is problematic / not legal. what other options are there? gift certificates?

it's done,

not sure of the legality,

I've received wine legally,

and I know there are beer exchanges on BeerAdvocate,

I would think UPS or FEdex, adult sign required would pass?

but then again, I shipped a lot of likker to the sandbox back in the day, so don't trust my knowledge Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

November 25, 2018, 06:08 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

Both are great as long as you know that neither are bourbon (just in case you're buying for a specifically-bourbon-lover.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
November 25, 2018, 07:43 PM
berto
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

It's illegal unless you possess a license. If you have a license each shipper has various forms, disclosures, fees, labeling requirements, etc. Then there are 50 state laws plus any local level nonsense. Many people ship anyway. Use UPS or FedEx. Package securely and don't declare contents.. You'll almost certainly be fine. A gift certificate from a store near your recipient is an option.
November 28, 2018, 02:59 PM
46and2
If you have Hulu, there's a Bourbon documentary on there this month entitled Neat.
November 28, 2018, 04:46 PM
stkfox
We do have Hulu and we’ll chk it out. Tks for the heads up. Suddenly into a weird cooking with bourbon kick! And loving it!

November 29, 2018, 08:57 PM
BRL
I’ve been working through a bottle of Old Forester “Statesman”. What a great bottle, so smooth and full of flavor with great legs. Around $55 it’s not out of line but tastes like a premium pour. I’ll be picking up another, maybe a couple for gifts.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

November 30, 2018, 08:23 AM
tk13
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Old Forester “Statesman”. Around $55

I had a bottle of Statesman about 6 months ago and enjoyed it. I believe I got it for ~$52 on sale. Although it was good, I thought it was a little over priced. If it was in the ~$40 range, it would be a regular on my bar.

I did recently pick up a bottle of O.F. Single Barrel that was a store pick from a local liquor store that I thought was just as good as the Statesman but was in the $40 range. I have yet to explore any of their other "Whiskey Row" offerings. The 1920 Prohibition Style is next on my radar.
November 30, 2018, 07:46 PM
BRL
Anyone dipped into a 10 year Widow Jane? Spotted it at a local pup while waiting for my pizza. I’ll give it a go next time I’m there.

November 30, 2018, 07:48 PM
BRL
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Old Forester “Statesman”. Around $55

I had a bottle of Statesman about 6 months ago and enjoyed it. I believe I got it for ~$52 on sale. Although it was good, I thought it was a little over priced. If it was in the ~$40 range, it would be a regular on my bar.

I did recently pick up a bottle of O.F. Single Barrel that was a store pick from a local liquor store that I thought was just as good as the Statesman but was in the $40 range. I have yet to explore any of their other "Whiskey Row" offerings. The 1920 Prohibition Style is next on my radar.

We had an OF rep at a tasting at our favorite liquor store and he had the whole lineup including the prohibition. The Statesman was my favorite of the lot. I’ll gladly pay mid $50’s for more.

December 01, 2018, 12:06 PM
Pale Horse
quote:
Anyone dipped into a 10 year Widow Jane? Spotted it at a local pup while waiting for my pizza. I’ll give it a go next time I’m there.

I’ve got a bottle of it. It’s good stuff but I think it’s priced a little high for the quality you get.

That’s what I get for buying a bourbon from New York City I guess Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
December 01, 2018, 12:52 PM
mr kablammo
The Col EH Taylor B-i-B Straight Rye, it reminds me of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye. A bit more rye chew would be nice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
December 01, 2018, 07:05 PM
jigray3
One of my precincts was late reporting in. Turns out I did win a bottle of the Weller CYPB. Funny how I prefer high rye bourbons, but am somehow more successful getting my hands on wheaters.

The results from the BTAC lottery are announced next Friday. 1785 bottles of Geo T Stagg, 150 of Tho. Handy, 448 of Wm Larue Weller are available for the entire state. That's a lot of Stagg, and I'm feeling lucky!

The PVW lottery opens this week, only 15 bottles of the 23 y.o. and no 20 y.o. available this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
December 02, 2018, 07:45 AM
GeeTen
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

The results from the BTAC lottery are announced next Friday. 1785 bottles of Geo T Stagg, 150 of Tho. Handy, 448 of Wm Larue Weller are available for the entire state. That's a lot of Stagg, and I'm feeling lucky!

The PVW lottery opens this week, only 15 bottles of the 23 y.o. and no 20 y.o. available this year.

So, that's why I got my bottle of the 2018 GTS so quickly, eh? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
December 03, 2018, 04:17 PM
biggsig
PVW lotteries in Ohio start in a few days but found some decent finds today. Rhetoric 25 (got 2), Old Ezra 7yr, and Little Book 2 all followed me home today. Not bad for Ohio
December 07, 2018, 07:48 PM
CaptainMike
Got the notice today that I got a 2018 G T Stagg in the lottery. Woo Hoo. I told my wife what it's going for on the secondary market. Mistake. I'm still going to drink it, now I'll just have to feel guilty for depriving the kids of extra Xmas presents Wink.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!
December 07, 2018, 10:32 PM
jigray3
^^^ Congrats Captain Mike, me too, and a WLW as well. Been waiting for a shot at BTAC for a long time. There was a 5 year wait list and they weren't taking any more names. Glad it's finally gone to lottery.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
December 09, 2018, 03:33 PM
berto
‘‘Tis the season for rare bottles. WLW got delivered Friday. Waiting for the VW shenanigans to hit the Bay.
December 12, 2018, 09:08 PM
jigray3
quote:
Originally posted by berto: Waiting for the VW shenanigans to hit the Bay.

Huh?