SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
What's everyone's take on Jefferson Reserve? Where does it fit on the scale? Belle Mead Sherry Cask 9yr and any variety of Westland Whisky.

Jefferson's is a clown show. Their earliest stuff had some real bangers because they were able to buy other folks leftovers that were good, available, and not crazy expensive. The market moved and now Jefferson's is selling other folks mediocre stuff for a premium and doing silly shit on boats. Their own stuff is in the works. They're an easy nope.

Belle Meade is alright. I've heard good things about the sherry finished stuff but haven't pulled the trigger.

Westland is American single malt. Think scotch not bourbon. It young and pricey but not bad. The value proposition on the three entry bottles is tough given the quality of scotch available for the same price or less. I prefer the pleated then the standard then the sherry but I like peat and am finding I'm not really into sherry so much. The peat covers some of the youth. You might find a taster set of the core range that has 200ml bottles of each of the three expressions. It's a good way to taste all three without committing to full bottles. The single barrel releases are even more expensive and range from good to great. They're pushing it price wise and you should try before buying or at least do some research.

Berto is dead on - the only good jeffersons was that 10 rye they bottled.

I've tried all the belle meade stuff. 2/5 smehs on th4 SB. the finished stuff i thought was awful.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, I've discovered that I've likely bulged my L4 or L5 disk working out. I've also discovered that the only thing I've found that hides the pain is whisky (you may feel sad for me in the comments below). Needless to say, I've been experimenting.

1) Belle Meade Single Barrel. Got a shot of this during lunch. This is the kind of bourbon that I'm starting to like. Pronounced sweetness from the corn, but very little burn. This seems to be the kind of bourbon I like.

2) W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I don't remember a lot of it, but it reminded me of a bit of the Belle Meade in that even though it was a higher proof than I was use to, it still didn't overwhelm the shot. Still good.

I then went out on bought several bottles of stuff.

3) Jack Daniels Single Barrel Kansas City Style. I have 0% of an idea of why this is different than the regular Jack Daniels Single Barrel, but for $30 vs $50 for regular single barrel, this wins 100%. Hell, I could give up scotch for this. It fits my flavor profile again just like both whiskys above.

In addition, I also bought bottles of J. Riegert's Monogram Whiskey (Kansas City Whiskey in Sherry Cask right up my wheelhouse), Belle Mead Sherry Cask NAS (still quite good), small bottle of Basil Hayden's (like), and a small bottle of Knob Creek Rye (not a fan). It appears I'm a fan of low rye mashbills. Not sure about wheaters, but I'll probably find out in a month or so.

Also, I found a small bottle (350 mL) of something call "Old Rip" at my main local place for $50 a bottle. Is this something special I need to run back to my booze dealer and pick up, or it is something I can find some other time?

Posts: 4106 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
DanH, on the face of it, you should go back and buy it.

You might also like Mellow Corn, and Kentucky Vintage.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I found a small bottle (350 mL) of something call "Old Rip" at my main local place for $50 a bottle. Is this something special I need to run back to my booze dealer and pick up, or it is something I can find some other time?

Old Ripy? That's a Wild Turkey creation made to cash in on the boutique label craze. I give them credit for selling smaller bottles but not for absurd pricing. Try before you buy more, it hasn't garnered great reviews and doesn't sell well enough to justify rushing back to the store. Only you can decide if it's $100/full size bottle good.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've definitely decided I am a low rye mash bill whiskey lover. Probably why I'm also a scotch lover. Still another shout out to anyone near KCMO that knows some good places try bourbon.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this stuff. I had some Bulleit over the weekend, and it was delicious. I realize I'm a huge new-comer to this area; however, I'm looking for a few recommendations that are similar to Bulleit.

Well. Recommendations for an average Joe. Nothing budget-blowing, if at all possible.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9138 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Hi everyone! I'm new to this stuff. I had some Bulleit over the weekend, and it was delicious. I realize I'm a huge new-comer to this area; however, I'm looking for a few recommendations that are similar to Bulleit.

Well. Recommendations for an average Joe. Nothing budget-blowing, if at all possible.

Eagle Rare 10yr (on the back label), Henry McKenna Bottled-In-Bond (100pf), Elijah Craig Non-Age-Stated (NAS), Weller Antique 107, to name just a few. JMHO, of course, YMMV.

Of course the old standards are fine as well - Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and Buffalo Trace will all work for you too. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll check them out.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9138 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm starting to experiment in American Whiskey but I have no idea where to start.

If you have friends a state over, or can ring up a store that will work with you, I highly recommend Cut Spike Single Malt Whiskey. Can only find in NE and (I believe) San Francisco, but well worth the trip!

FB page

Website (one of the weakest I've seen)

Won world double gold right out of the gate.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well this past Saturday was my daughter's wedding. I had been saving my 2017 ORVW for a special occasion such as this. It was shared with close friends and used to toast my baby girl on her new life adventure, a fitting end for such a fine spirit. It was also everything that I had hoped it would be, just an excellent pour. Everyone that shared it, some knowledgeable about bourbons and some favoring other spirits, each commented on how great the flavor was. Highly recommended!

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think my Bourbon exploration is coming to a close. I got to try a couple more yesterday in Stagg Jr. and Balcone's. Both of them great and in my wheelhouse (the Balcone's was really mild while Stagg was sweet and spicy), but I'm starting to notice a pattern about old bourbon I'm not liking. After a certain number of years, the aged whiskey seems to take on too much carmel. It doesn't get syrupy, but the corn and the carmel start overtaking the flavor profiles. I think I'll be probably going back towards Scotch/Japanese Whisky. However, Eagle Rare and Jack Single Barrel are definitely staying on the "Would Buy Again" list.

Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Well this past Saturday was my daughter's wedding. I had been saving my 2017 ORVW for a special occasion such as this. It was shared with close friends and used to toast my baby girl on her new life adventure, a fitting end for such a fine spirit. It was also everything that I had hoped it would be, just an excellent pour. Everyone that shared it, some knowledgeable about bourbons and some favoring other spirits, each commented on how great the flavor was. Highly recommended!

Great Story....my baby girl is only 8 years old and I can only hope to have such an experience. Congrats to your daughter and new son-in-law.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:

Great Story....my baby girl is only 8 years old and I can only hope to have such an experience. Congrats to your daughter and new son-in-law.

Thank you! I recently made a friend on a Bourbon Exchange board. His baby girl was born on 9/29/17. I had just recently purchased a 6 bottle case of Blanton's that had that exact dump date. He was looking for the date and we worked it out so that I just ended up shipping him the entire six bottle case. He kept two bottles, so he will have some for her wedding day. He also gifted bottles from that date to the god-parents, which I thought was really cool. I didn't make a dime on the deal, I just thought it was a "pay it forward" kind of gig. I wish I had that same knowledge to have thought that far in advance to find something as unique for when mine were born.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Pretty good round-up yesterday. I scored some Weller 107, Col EH Taylor Small Batch BiB, and Knappogue Castle 14 Yr Doublewood, and Lagunitas Waldo beer. The KC 14 will be a Father's Day gift. But I will get a taste.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
snagged a W12.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Old Overholt Bottled in Bond. It has the rye spice up front, and short heated finish.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Anyone snagged the kC rye LE? Any good?

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Anyone snagged the kC rye LE? Any good?

Yes and yes, IMHO.

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Good to know!

Any comparison as to what other bottles it tastes like?

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
BOLO the Knob Creek Rye Single Barrel without result. Did scout up a Col. EH Taylor Single Barrel BiB. Mighty Fine! Ought buy a second. Even a small amount mixed into that nasty-ass thin and hot Eagle Rare is a vast improvement.

And Ka Va Lan ex-Bourbon Cask from Taiwan. The intent is to save that for the wedding.