SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Opened a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 yr. I'm pretty impressed. I tend to like high rye non chill filtered higher proof bourbon, and that' exactly what this is. $42 in VA, so a decent value too.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Opened a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 yr. I'm pretty impressed. I tend to like high rye non chill filtered higher proof bourbon, and that' exactly what this is. $42 in VA, so a decent value too.

It's been a great week for whiskey.

Had three (3) fingers of '15 WLW late Sunday nite to celebrate the greatest comeback in history as the Falcons snatched defeat from the jaws of victory (GO PATS!).

Had a Glencairn of HWMWND Act 4, Scene 1 last night watching the NFL Network run the highlights of the game with sound from mic'd players and coaches.

Might need to open a bottle of SAOS SiBCS 11yr tonite to sooth aching muscles after shoveling out 14" of snow from the nor'easter that started a few hours ago.

Great whiskey will go a long way to help us survive winter. Superbowl LI highlights will bring us joy for the rest of our lives.

Just sayin'. . . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

It's been a great week for whiskey.

Had three (3) fingers of '15 WLW late Sunday nite to celebrate the greatest comeback in history as the Falcons snatched defeat from the jaws of victory (GO PATS!).

Had a Glencairn of HWMWND Act 4, Scene 1 last night watching the NFL Network run the highlights of the game with sound from mic'd players and coaches.

Might need to open a bottle of SAOS SiBCS 11yr tonite to sooth aching muscles after shoveling out 14" of snow from the nor'easter that started a few hours ago.

Great whiskey will go a long way to help us survive winter. Superbowl LI highlights will bring us joy for the rest of our lives.

Just sayin'. . . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Never had a dram of BTAC, so I'm jealous. We also don't get anything other than the SAOS 7, so keep it up and you'll get flagged 15 yards unsportsmanlike. Wink

With no horse in the race, I would have liked to see more overtime, and why Altanta didn't call a time out to slow the Pat's momentum, give their defense a breather, and try to break up Brady's rhythm, I'll never know. EH Taylor Small Batch that night for me.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:

I may try some, it's $42 here as well. Also saw 10 yr for $49. Any good?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Having a SAOS 10 lq barrel pick right now. Really good. Definately a top 10 so yes worth it.

My opinion of wild turkey 101 changed last night. Pretty tastey.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I love SAOS, JUST GOT A BOTTLE OF 11 as a gift for a friend. Hey random question: aromatic or agnostra bitters in an old fashioned? Which do you prefer?

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I use 2/3 dash of orange and 2/3 dash of aromatic. But i make the original old fashion, no club soda BS only an orange rine.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I've been doing 5 dashes aromatic, 2oz rye, mint, orange peel, 1 packet sugar in the raw & a maraschino cherry. Plus ice. Looking for new recipes, and I definitely don't want any cab soda!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
A dash is 3 drips. 5 dashes seems a bit much! Our recipes are the same minus the mint. I dont always add a cherry.

Rittenhouse makes a great oldfashion. I like it neat and at 22 bucks!

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A real deal OF should have Angostura, imo. But rules are made to be broken.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I found black Walnut bitters I like it. But I only have one or two then switch to bourbon with a splash. Angostura is my preferred when not using the walnut.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Damn, cowboy, how does one become a friend? That's likely a very fine bottle of whiskey.

Pikesville 6 yr. 110 proof just showed up here. I bought a bottle last summer and really enjoyed it.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Snowstorms have put my KY distillery tour weekend on hold for a while. Will be leaving for Knoxville, TN tomorrow instead of last Friday. Frown

Now I find out that liquor stores are closed on Sunday (even we got rid of our Blue Laws in Puritanville a decade ago!). So I have to wait 'til Monday to taste (and buy, perchance) the Old Forge 8yr Cask Strength (131pf) bourbon from Pigeon Forge Distillery. At least it's still on sale @ McScrooge's for $49.99 (down from $64.99). Frown Frown

Do they have sales tax on hooch in Tennessee??? Roll Eyes

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-(

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Prettybsure they do have sales tax

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn, cowboy, how does one become a friend? That's likely a very fine bottle of whiskey.

Pikesville 6 yr. 110 proof just showed up here. I bought a bottle last summer and really enjoyed it.

Cool
The guy spent 11 years active duty, so he's getting an 11 year separation gift.

Pikesville rye is great. I'm in Va as well, I order online instead of waiting for ABC to stock!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Who do you order from, Ace Spirits? Most won't ship to VA.

Hey, guys, tell me about High West. Anything worth buying? Saw Campfire and Double Rye on the shelf today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
High west is One of the few sourced whiskeys i will hunt for.

Love midwinters nights dram. American prairie aint bad. The others i havent tried. If you like something you may buy alot as they got bought by constellation, rumors are quality gonna suck. Im sure balze halze can shed more light on that as i believe he is in park city, UT.

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who do you order from, Ace Spirits? Most won't ship to VA.

Hey, guys, tell me about High West. Anything worth buying? Saw Campfire and Double Rye on the shelf today.

Campfire is very unique and I have to be in the mood for it, It goes down smooth an somewhat sweet and spicy like a slightly Rye bourbon, with a peaty finish. The midwinter dram is a little too sweet and syrupy for me, I like their Yippee Kay ay, and one other i cant remember was good as well. But for the price I'll stick to Blantons and other kentucky favorites.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who do you order from, Ace Spirits?

I'll second this question, we have a Spec's monopoly here and selection on rare spirits is slim, always a list to get on 1000 people long and you have to pick up at the downtown location. I have better luck at the small local stores.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High West is great. They're upfront about what they do. Double Rye is good stuff but Rendezvous is worth the up charge. They do both as cask finished as well with a variety of different finishes. Campfire is a neat bottle. I don't find it all that smokey but I know folks who find it too smokey. I recommend Bourye too.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post