SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Member
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Careful with the EH Taylor. I bought (and paid top dollar) for their 100 proof rye that was, quite honestly, the only undrinkable liquor I have ever bought. Smelled and tasted just like mineral spirits. Awful.


Concur. I love their single barrel and recently got a bottle of their rye for 60$. After 2 pours, I ended up using it for mixed drinks. Not worth it.

Speaking of rye, I grabbed a bottle of willet 3 year rye just because I've never tried it. anyone have thoughts on it? Worth 42$?
 
Posts: 1799 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

Speaking of rye, I grabbed a bottle of willet 3 year rye just because I've never tried it. anyone have thoughts on it? Worth 42$?


Heck yeah! The Willet 3yr Rye is their own distillate (versus older bottlings that were sourced). Looking forward to their 4yr later this year. I have one (1) 3yr open and another in the bunker to hold me for now. A mighty fine dram best drunk neat, IMHO. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)


I miss Erhardt!
 
Posts: 2716 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yup that 3 yr is good. The 4 yr came and gone with only a few bottles sold at the distillery, better head there geeten! Big Grin

I have 3 of the 3 years and 2.4 of the 2 years which were pretty good for being so young.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 6943 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to put in a plug for a liquor store in Brooklyn, NY that I have placed (and received) two online orders of varied Bourbons shipped to me via FedEx. As long as you don't live in one of these States (AL, AK, AR, DE, HI, IA, IL, KY, MA, MS, ND, NV, OK, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, WA or WV), they will ship to your address (adult signature required).

Their website (I am not affiliated) is: Drink Up NY Web Site

If you order more than $199 they have a 10% off coupon code, and there's no sales tax outside of NY. I've ordered a half-dozen different Bourbons from them that I cannot get in my area. Widow Jane and Kings County are among my favorites on their site.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on.
 
Posts: 2605 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Just wanted to put in a plug for a liquor store in Brooklyn, NY that I have placed (and received) two online orders of varied Bourbons shipped to me via FedEx. As long as you don't live in one of these States (AL, AK, AR, DE, HI, IA, IL, KY, MA, MS, ND, NV, OK, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, WA or WV), they will ship to your address (adult signature required).

Their website (I am not affiliated) is: Drink Up NY Web Site

If you order more than $199 they have a 10% off coupon code, and there's no sales tax outside of NY. I've ordered a half-dozen different Bourbons from them that I cannot get in my area. Widow Jane and Kings County are among my favorites on their site.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on.


Try Ace Spirits. Better selection and pricing.




Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig.
 
Posts: 9364 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Just wanted to put in a plug for a liquor store in Brooklyn, NY that I have placed (and received) two online orders of varied Bourbons shipped to me via FedEx. As long as you don't live in one of these States (AL, AK, AR, DE, HI, IA, IL, KY, MA, MS, ND, NV, OK, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, WA or WV), they will ship to your address (adult signature required).

Their website (I am not affiliated) is: Drink Up NY Web Site

If you order more than $199 they have a 10% off coupon code, and there's no sales tax outside of NY. I've ordered a half-dozen different Bourbons from them that I cannot get in my area. Widow Jane and Kings County are among my favorites on their site.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on.


Try Ace Spirits. Better selection and pricing.


Looks like Ace has a large selection, but not necessarily better pricing:
Widow Jane at Ace
Widow Jane at DrinkUpNY
 
Posts: 2605 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation for drinkupNY. I'll check them out, but it'll be hard to beat ace spirits. They are my go-to for online since I'm stationed in Va and they have the absurd ABC construct. I also recommend master of malt. Prices aren't great since it's coming from U.K. but selection is pretty damn good if you must have a certain thing.

Edited to add: one more thing about MOM I like is drinks by the dram. If you're like me you enjoy tasting new spirits but don't want to pay for a new bottle and gamble hoping you like it. MOM let's you buy single drams of most bottles so you can test it. It's saved me a lot of money helping me avoid things I would have bought a full bottle of, while also allowing me to try some thing I otherwise never would. I'm not affiliated with MOM, just thought that feature was cool!
 
Posts: 1799 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Keep a keen eye on online sites as they sometime offer free shipping with a bottle of wine. You can usually find a 5 dollar bottle to save 12 or 15.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 6943 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
winesearcher and 1000corks are good to search nationwide inventory but they don't hit every possible store. Astor in NY offers free shipping to first time customers and has a few sales each year at 10%-15% off.
 
Posts: 2861 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Passed on a Michter's Celebration Sour Mash yesterday - $3599.99. "A wonderful blend of Master Distiller Willie Pratt's hand selections of his favorite 30 year barrels, 20 year barrels and a few other exceptional barrels. The 18 Karat gold labeling on the bottle and the elegant package make for the perfect gift. Enjoy!"

Yikes! Pic on request. Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)


I miss Erhardt!
 
Posts: 2716 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I just won a lottery for WLW 2016. Only a dram size, not the bottle. But only $9! I'm stoked.

Also, Stagg Jr or EC barrel proof? I can only get one.
 
Posts: 1799 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
GeeTen, would love to see a pic of Michter's Celebration!

I too won a lottery for a bottle of Lot B but with the storms and a 7hr drive, it's not looking like I'll collect
 
Posts: 241 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Passed on a Michter's Celebration Sour Mash yesterday - $3599.99. "A wonderful blend of Master Distiller Willie Pratt's hand selections of his favorite 30 year barrels, 20 year barrels and a few other exceptional barrels. The 18 Karat gold labeling on the bottle and the elegant package make for the perfect gift. Enjoy!"

Yikes! Pic on request. Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)


I heard that the celebration is total crap. Check out the reviews online really funny.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 6943 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I just won a lottery for WLW 2016. Only a dram size, not the bottle. But only $9! I'm stoked.

Also, Stagg Jr or EC barrel proof? I can only get one.

stagg for me.



"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
 
Posts: 7595 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Michter's is out of their damn mind but somehow they sell it.
 
Posts: 2861 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Also, Stagg Jr or EC barrel proof? I can only get one.


That's tough I would say ECBP has more rye spice generally, Stagg Jr if you are a Buffalo trace fan.


------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
 
Posts: 4077 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd take the Stagg Jr by a small margin, but I like the ECBP quite a bit.
 
Posts: 19916 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'd take the Stagg Jr by a small margin, but I like the ECBP quite a bit.


Stagg it is gents. I don't know what year the bottle is, how can I tell? I hear the 2013 one tastes like shit, and they only got delicious from late 14 onwards. Truth?
 
Posts: 1799 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I don't know what year the bottle is, how can I tell? I hear the 2013 one tastes like shit, and they only got delicious from late 14 onwards. Truth?


You can tell which release it is by the proof.

Batch 7 – (Fall, 2016) – 130.0 Proof

Batch 6 – (Spring, 2016) – 132.5 Proof

Batch 5 – (Fall, 2015) – 129.7 Proof

Batch 4 – (Spring, 2015) – 132.2 Proof

Batch 3 – (Fall, 2014) – 132.1 Proof

Batch 2 – (Spring, 2014) – 128.7 Proof

Batch 1 – (Fall, 2013) – 134.4 Proof

http://www.bourbonex.com/forum...release-info-batches
 
Posts: 2861 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. I'm a Wild Turkey fan anyway, and one of my regulars is Kentucky Spirit. This single barrel offering is 110 proof, but is unbelievably smooth for such a high proof whiskey. I'd sure like to meet Jimmy Russell one day.


_______________________________
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
- Buddha

 
Posts: 5886 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

© SIGforum 2017