SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Knob Creek Single Barrel is older than Booker's at 9yo, and Single Barrel, and basically barrel proof at 120. I think it's the best Beam has to offer in their normal, non highrye, mashbill. Same damn juice as Booker's, which hasn't been picked by Booker himself in years now (RIP), and the same juice as Bakers, Beam Black, and Beam White, maybe others.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
The best beam product i had was knob creek SFTB at the distillery. I bout 2 120s after that and it did not taste as good without the extra 16 proof

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
The best beam product i had was knob creek SFTB at the distillery. I bout 2 120s after that and it did not taste as good without the extra 16 proof

What's SFTB?

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Just throwing out an educated guess where with: Straight From The Barrel.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

Yeah, I bet so, too. Seems obvious now.

Smile

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the knob Creek barrel proof. I get a sour taste not sure if it's from the oak but I recently finished a bottle and will not be replacing it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I liked the small batch 100 well enough. Was going to try the single barrel.

I was going to get some of the Bookers before the price goes up, but if it is not significantly better than Knob single, I am thinking I will skip it.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

Yeah, I bet so, too. Seems obvious now.

Smile

BINGO. They literally rolled the barrel over and I personally held the glass to fill it up on the tour. It was way better than the 2 120s i bought there.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think I finally understand bourbon. When I was drinking, I'd drink bourbon and coke for fun. It sure gave me stinky gas though.

When I got to drinking as a grown-up, I tried bourbon but could not really enjoy it except with coke, even Knob Creek.

On a trip to Louisville, we finished our business early and the people I was with wanted to explore downtown. We ended up in a place called Urban Stillhouse owned by Jim Beam where for $5 you get to sample 3 of their choosing and 1 of your choosing. Plus you get to keep the shot glass for the drink you chose. For $5 you can't beat that kind of entertainment.

And, I found those were good sipping whiskeys.

I ended up getting a bottle of the Urban Stillhouse Select that you can only get from that place and it's not filtered the way they do for sales out of state. And I bottled it myself. I got another bottle for a friend. Didn't have any more room in my luggage or I would have bought more.

I could have had whatever I wanted etched on the bottle but I'm not imaginative.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Had my wifes cousin and her husband over today, and he mentioned he is starting to get interested in bourbon, so i lined up some bottles for him to sample. (So far he knows he likes "Bulleit.")

Four Roses Small Batch
Basel Hayden
Blantons
WT Rare Breed
Elijah Craig Small Batch

He liked the Blantons best, then the Rare Breed. He didn't care for the spice kick in the Four Roses.

As for me, i located a store that has Elmer T Lee, Col E H Taylor, and Willet, so once payday hits i plan to go shopping.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Been polishing a few bottles from the bunker. Switching from many bottles to high quality. Finally below 80 to about 78ish.

Anyone interested in trading a ER17 or somwthing else in BTAc?

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been polishing a few bottles from the bunker. Switching from many bottles to high quality. Finally below 80 to about 78ish.

^^^^^ you have the sickness

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Oops i meant 68. Lol..

And yes, I do. The bad thing is most of it is good stuff, its just not THAT good compared to other stuff i got.

Edit....

Actually, just counted, its 74 bottles not including 375mls. I finished 12. Bad thing is i am back to once in a blue moon drinking after jan 2.

Id consider a liquidation trade at 10:1 for something i might drink... good volume trade for someone!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I'm not a fan of the knob Creek barrel proof. I get a sour taste not sure if it's from the oak but I recently finished a bottle and will not be replacing it.

I bought a bottle, and really didn't care for it. Can't recall if I would have described it as sour, but certainly in the never buy again category. After drinking maybe 1/3 of the bottle I set it aside for 6 weeks or so. Then, I poured myself a drink thinking I just needed to get rid of it, but I swear it was as if bourbon fairies had shown up and replaced it with something else that was really very good. Completely different bourbon from when the bottle was cracked. I just got another bottle for Christmas, so it will be interesting to see what happens this time. Will the bourbon fairies return?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ Knob Creek Single Barrel is older than Booker's at 9yo, and Single Barrel, and basically barrel proof at 120. I think it's the best Beam has to offer in their normal, non highrye, mashbill. Same damn juice as Booker's, which hasn't been picked by Booker himself in years now (RIP), and the same juice as Bakers, Beam Black, and Beam White, maybe others.

I here you, but Booker's has a meaty richness and oily mouthfeel that seems unique compared to the others. I know KCSB is 120 proof, but is it chill filtered? Booker's, I believe, is not, and that's an aspect of barrel proofs that I have come to believe, rightly or wrongly, makes a difference in flavor.

My family was very generous this year. I got bottles of Eagle Rare, Woodford, WT Kentucky Spirit, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7, Knob Creek SB, and Bibb and Tucker batch 7.

The Bib and Tucker has a really unique flavor profile I'm kind of enjoying. I get a lot of caramel apple and very sweet almost like a port and any alcohol burn is almost completely absent. I understand the barrels for this get only a #1 char, but there's still plenty of flavor. It's pricey here at $85, so I doubt I would have tried it given the lackluster reviews. Glad I did.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oops i meant 68. Lol..

And yes, I do. The bad thing is most of it is good stuff, its just not THAT good compared to other stuff i got.

Edit....

Actually, just counted, its 74 bottles not including 375mls. I finished 12. Bad thing is i am back to once in a blue moon drinking after jan 2.

Id consider a liquidation trade at 10:1 for something i might drink... good volume trade for someone!

I've really directed my efforts at acquiring quality as well, particularly given it has become really difficult to get anything in VA since they've gone to a lottery for most things. I find myself not stocking perfectly good bourbon simply because it's common.

I have 60 bottles total, 32 different varieties, and 15 bottles are open right now. Still no BTAC, unfortunately.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I have the first bib n tucker. Think it was 50 bucks. I recall a really terrible varnish flavor review from several whiskey drinkers here. Never again!

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the first bib n tucker. Think it was 50 bucks. I recall a really terrible varnish flavor review from several whiskey drinkers here. Never again!

Hmm, I got black tar on my first sip and never went back again. Now that I think about it, varnish was on the nose - shoulda' stopped right there and never taken a sip. Live and learn I guess? Confused

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

Hmm, I got black tar on my first sip and never went back again. Now that I think about it, varnish was on the nose - shoulda' stopped right there and never taken a sip. Live and learn I guess? Confused

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

black tar whiskey, cousin to blackstrap rum! Big Grin

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

This is batch 7, and thankfully, none of that in this one. Maybe you guys got the beta? Helluva way to try to enter the market, varnish and tar.