SIGforum
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3990054973

December 16, 2016, 01:42 PM
Deqlyn
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Not better than weller 12 maybe slightly under makers cask strength

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
December 17, 2016, 02:43 PM
46and2
I can't believe OGD114 is going away. I guess I'll have to stash some for a rainy day.
December 17, 2016, 06:19 PM
GeeTen
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
^^^ how is the Reb 10 yr? Not widely available on the best coast. Heard good to middling things.

Best coast????? Been there, done that! But we haven't seen the Reb 10yr on the "least coast" yet. Big Grin

I miss Erhardt!
December 17, 2016, 06:26 PM
GeeTen
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
If anyone would be willing to snag an extra bottle or two of Elmer T. Lee while doing your own shopping please drop me an e-mail. I'm on a few different list locally but don't expect to be at the top until next year some time.

Hey sureshot45,

Is your e-mail a .co or .com? I just got another couple of ETLs that I'd trade for some Weller 12s. My e-mail is in my profile, if you're interested.

Many thanks,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
December 17, 2016, 10:05 PM
YellowJacket
Did I miss any discussion on Blade & Bow? Anybody have a review?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
December 18, 2016, 02:40 AM
berto
I found Blade and Bow boring. Nothing memorable and there are so many less expensive bottles I would rather have. It wasn't offensive or anything, aside from the Diageo marketing, but there's nothing to recommend it. I'd pass on buying and try to find a reasonably priced pour at a bar.
December 18, 2016, 07:03 AM
GA Gator
Blade and Bow is solera aged, where the barrels are never completely emptied but whiskey is removed and transfered to older barrels with new whiskey replaces it. This is simplified but the general gist as I know it.

Solera aged is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. My consumer dollars will no longer fund the marketing stupidity that exists in the Bourbon industry. Whether it's solera aged, aged in the hold of a 18th century ocean going ship, finished in port barrel, blended Bourbons, bourbons whose production is cut and prices raised (I'm looking at you Bookers), whiskey called bourbon from Texas, Colorado, mexicalifornia , or any other state than KY, long lost bourbon that just happened to be found in enough quantity to bottle and sell yet no disteller decided to sell it in the prior 15 years.

Put mash in a barrel age it, don't water it down, bottle it and ship it.

That's my bourbon rant for 2016, watch out 2017

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
December 18, 2016, 08:18 AM
Deqlyn
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Blade and Bow is solera aged, where the barrels are never completely emptied but whiskey is removed and transfered to older barrels with new whiskey replaces it. This is simplified but the general gist as I know it.

Solera aged is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. My consumer dollars will no longer fund the marketing stupidity that exists in the Bourbon industry. Whether it's solera aged, aged in the hold of a 18th century ocean going ship, finished in port barrel, blended Bourbons, bourbons whose production is cut and prices raised (I'm looking at you Bookers), whiskey called bourbon from Texas, Colorado, mexicalifornia , or any other state than KY, long lost bourbon that just happened to be found in enough quantity to bottle and sell yet no disteller decided to sell it in the prior 15 years.

Im pretty muvh at this point. The best whiskey in the world is made by buffalo trace. With a few outliers thats pretty much all im drinking. I really think heating thier rick houses makes the big difference. Blantons is only 4 years aged. Costs more than btrace at 8 years aged.

Gene i could prolly get ya a rebel 10 if your hard up for it.

December 18, 2016, 10:30 AM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

Nicely done. I'm with you... I hate gimmicks, especially, and I actually didn't know any of the about B&B. I saw an ad in Garden and Gun and it drops the Stitzel-Weller name. I will be saving my money.

And like Deqlyn, if I could buy nothing but BT bourbons, I'd probably be just fine. Assuming I could find their wheaters.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
December 18, 2016, 01:36 PM
CaptainMike
I brought it up a bunch of pages ago, but you wheater fans might like "Larceny" from Heaven Hill. I like it better than Makers or Makers 46. It's a bit spicier to my palate, I find most wheaters too bland.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!
December 18, 2016, 05:16 PM
46and2
Thanks for the reminder about Larceny. ^

quote:
My consumer dollars will no longer fund the marketing stupidity that exists in the Bourbon industry. Whether it's solera aged, aged in the hold of a 18th century ocean going ship, finished in port barrel, blended Bourbons, bourbons whose production is cut and prices raised (I'm looking at you Bookers), whiskey called bourbon from Texas, Colorado, mexicalifornia , or any other state than KY, long lost bourbon that just happened to be found in enough quantity to bottle and sell yet no disteller decided to sell it in the prior 15 years.

Well said.

Me - I don't care if it's made in Timbukfuckingtu, just make it right, normal, and don't fuck around with clever tricks, shortcuts, gimmicks, bullshit stories of "distilleries" that don't exist, or otherwise. And always, forfucksake, list what it actually is and where it actually came from. Do that, and I'll give you my money. Don't, and you can go fuck yourselves.

(looking at you, Bourbon industry)
December 18, 2016, 11:39 PM
rekstrom
Amen, and same for made up tales and drama. And please honestly state the source and age of the whiskey.
December 19, 2016, 04:03 PM
GA Gator
I picked up a Four Roses private barrel selection in OBSQ in barrel strength. This is the first high rye barrel strength Four Roses I have gotten I'm looking forward to trying this.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
December 19, 2016, 07:31 PM
berto
Please report back on the OBSQ. The Q yeast is my favorite but it's very polarizing. I also prefer the higher rye recipes. I hope you enjoy it.
December 20, 2016, 12:25 PM
steelcityfishanddive
I haven't seen Willett lately so when one of my local places told me they had some in when I called, I hurried in. Picked up two of the 1.75L bottles for $72 each. Also picked up a bottle of 1792 to try out.
December 20, 2016, 01:38 PM
Deqlyn
They did something different to recent willett recipes. It has way more malt than it used to. My old pot still bottles taste diferent then the new bottles.

December 20, 2016, 06:42 PM
GeeTen
Bought the new StaggJr 130.0 proof ($38.99) but passed on the Angel's Envy Barrel Proof ($189.99) today. Oooof. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!
December 21, 2016, 06:27 AM
Deqlyn
189.99???? Wtf.

Old scout and highwest being bought is not gonna help....

December 21, 2016, 05:29 PM
46and2
Angel's Envy is some of that gimmicky bullshit mentioned above, and at that price... crazy.
December 21, 2016, 05:57 PM
arabiancowboy
I like Bookers, I'm sorry they're raising their price to something beyond what I'll pay. I bought a bottle today for $49, it's worth that much to me. I won't stock up.