SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Wednesday i bought: straight edge, 1792 full proof, and HW yipee kai yay.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
My adventure in sub $50 bourbon continues. Here's what I've liked lately.

Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve (really like)
Buffalo Trace (working on this one, and I like it a lot.) Smile

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Taylor single barrel, small batch and rye are Always on the shelf. I know between single barrel small batch one is generally better thought of, but I don't remember which, so I usually pass. Of those three which would you recommend.

I picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

I was not a 4 Roses fan, but picked up one fo those hand picked barrel selections and it is phenomenal. It is OBSV, 65 corn, 35 rye, and 5% barley at 9 years 11 months. I wish I had bought a case of it.

I have heard people prefer the small batch EHT to the Single Barrel. Maybe so, but the small batch doesn't compare favorably to the Barrel Proof, another one of my favorites. I have 2 bottles of the Single Barrel, and a bottle of the Rye, but I have too much open right now to taste them.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Personally, the only Taylor's that stand out are the Rye and Barrel Strength Bourbon.

Both the Small Batch and Single Barrel left me wanting.

Today I picked up a second bottle of the 138.8 proof Elijah Craig.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Butterscotch, indeed. It's really delicious. Rye spice afterwards and kind of a medicinal finish.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
Larceny- I'll give my opinion later. Cool

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Ok, ok - I know it's not bourbon, but I bought a bottle of Hibiki 17 Japanese whiskey for $129.99 OTD. This is the same juice that Bill Murray was pitching in the movie "Lost in Translation" with Scarlett Johansson. Yummy - both the whiskey and Scarlett! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Picked up my Michter's 10 Single Barrel. Initial impressions are it is very good and has an interesting and complex flavor profile. Worth $120.00? I can't say yet, since the first pour usually doesn't reveal much. And, I'm starting to agree with the camp that feels almost no bourbon is worth more than $100.00. Just too much good stuff under that price point to explore and enjoy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Finally got to buy one of my Bucket List Bourbons yesterday - BTAC 2014 William Larue Weller (140.2 proof - YIKES!). $99.99 OTD, honest! Big Grin

Pics to follow with tasting notes another day . . .

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Finally got to try some Four Roses, which is hard to find around here but a few bottles showed up in the grocery store I shop at.

It is good. Definitely my favorite bourbon I've tried so far, but my journey is just beginning.

I work with a man who is a true scotch drinker, so I am gathering a list of sub $100 scotch to try as well. Should be a good Fall and Winter for me. Cool

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Finally got to buy one of my Bucket List Bourbons yesterday - BTAC 2014 William Larue Weller (140.2 proof - YIKES!). $99.99 OTD, honest! Big Grin

Pics to follow with tasting notes another day . . .

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Oh it's terrible and I'm sure you won't like it. Send to Colorado for proper disposal.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
picked up an interesting Four Roses barrel strength, store purchased barrel. It was an OESF which is high corn 75%, F is their herbal yeast strain. The age statement is 10 years. The F strain is only listed as being used in their yellow label, which surprised me that they aged it that long and bottled barrel strength. They don't list the F being used in any barrel strength, small batch offerings.

Butterscotch is the dominant flavor on the palate. It's very tasty.

I don't think I've had that one (OESF), and it sounds excellent.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Oh it's terrible and I'm sure you won't like it. Send to Colorado for proper disposal.

Ummm, ok. I'll drop her off when I'm flying to San Francisco on Wednesday - life's too short to drink bad bourbon! Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

posted Hide Post
Picking up a couple bottles of High West Rendezvous Rye finished in Hungarian Oak and my share of a barrel of Four Roses OESV. Looking forward to both.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wife gave me a bottle of Blantons single barrel for my anniversary gift!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Just got home from a truncated Bourbon Trail (4 distillery tours over 2 days. (Wild Turkey, 4 Roses, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark) Picked up some yellow label cask strength single barrel bottles from 4 Roses gift shop that are truly astonishing. One OBSF 9 year at 126 proof that is probably my favorite bourbon ever. Alas, I only bought one.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
People picking up some interesting stuff. Please check in and and give us an idea how you like them.

My BIL entered a state lottery on my behalf and I'll be damned if he didn't win. Been looking for this one for a few years.

It fits right in with the Four Roses discussion. his one is OESK and 112.2 proof. Not going to open it yet. Too many open right now including a new Abraham Bowman wheater I picked up two weeks ago.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eamonn Wright:
My adventure in sub $50 bourbon continues. Here's what I've liked lately.

Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve (really like)
Buffalo Trace (working on this one, and I like it a lot.) Smile

Good ones. Might consider Taylor as well.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Aint been to this thread in awhile. I've passed on a lot of bourbon lately but its finally bourbon season again! 46n2 you still up for the willett stuff?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked up some yellow label cask strength single barrel bottles from 4 Roses gift shop that are truly astonishing.

very, very interesting.

quote:
46n2 you still up for the willett stuff?

You bet. Got something new?