SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, in terms of Stitzel-Weller stuff, it's the juice that was distilled there that matters. Juice from elsewhere that happened to have been aged there may in fact be delicious juice, but it won't be SW in any meaningful way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I dont see the point of the sampler unless its 750ml. Anyone want to buy my low proof stuff at a discount? Razz

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a big fan of forged oak. In the end I felt like it was great marketing in a bourbon shortage. To say you found some long lost 15 year old bourbon is a good story. There is a reason it made it to 15 years before it was bottled. I am sure A distiller tried at 8,10 & 12 years and passed on bottling it. My opinion it's not worth the price tag.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought into a barrel of High West Double Rye finished in a single malt barrel. Hoping the guy running the deal can fill the last few slots and complete the deal. I have the standard Double Rye and a couple different barrel finishes and enjoy them all. Great on their own or in cocktails.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive been wanting to buy dpuble rye. The midwinters night dram act3 was awesome.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I wasn't a big fan of forged oak. In the end I felt like it was great marketing in a bourbon shortage. To say you found some long lost 15 year old bourbon is a good story. There is a reason it made it to 15 years before it was bottled. I am sure A distiller tried at 8,10 & 12 years and passed on bottling it. My opinion it's not worth the price tag.

Maybe you're right; I'll open it tonight and let you know my thoughts. Worst case, I use it to mix Kentucky mules instead of drinking neat. It's only money, right?

Edited to add: underwhelming! Great nose, but it just disappears on the palette. It's smooth, and low burn. A little vanilla. Not worth 65$. But like I said, I wanted to try it & I can always use it to mix cocktails.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Since I can't seem to find any Weller12 anywhere, I tried a blend of OWA:WSR, 3:2, tonite. WOW - very, very nice. Reminds me of . . . . . another "wheater" of Unobtainium! Big Grin

'til October/Novermber, it'll do nicely as a cheaper substitute! Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Weller 12 is a purple unicorn in these parts. My wife came back with a bottle she found in New Orleans for $50.00 - ouch. Even the WSR and OWA are hard to get here. They made a one day appearance recently before selling out, and I managed a little.

I prefer the 60:40 blend of OWA and Weller 12 to the 12 straight up, so that's how i drink it. But, that's me.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
I know it's not bourbon, but my son-in-law and I finished off a bottle of Bushmills 16 that he brought back from the Holy Sod when he took daughter #1 back to meet and greet the Irish side of the family. Had to have St. Paddy's Day dinner Wednesday nite since I was teaching a 2 hr. Introduction to Scotch class at my Total Wine & More store on Thursday nite - but I got a bottle of Black Bush into the tasting rotation for the High Holy Day. Ended the night teaching the class to sing "The Wild Rover" (23 years playing rugby will do that to a lad!). Big Grin

Keep Calm & Carry On Drinking, me boys and girls. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
As a bourbon neophyte, I grabbed a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel, and I really like it. Much smoother than the Four Roses Single Barrel I had a couple weeks ago.

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eamonn Wright:
As a bourbon neophyte, I grabbed a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel, and I really like it. Much smoother than the Four Roses Single Barrel I had a couple weeks ago.

Buy more if you like it, as Wathens is mystery bourbon bought and repackacked and varies from batch to batch. Sadly, no real way to know what it is/was. Generally, it's nothing special, but if you like it - enjoy it...

As for "smoother than Four Roses", it's probably just a lower Rye bourbon, since FR is one of the highest high rye bourbons there is, and tastes sharper as a result.

Hope that helps.

Smile

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Eamon you might check out www.breakingbourbon.com

A site that folks recommended in the old boirbon thread. Everyones tastes are different of course.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Eamonn,

You need to come up north to MetroWest for some fine bourbon tasting. I have a fairly well-stocked selection in the bunker . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Eamonn Wright:

Buy more if you like it, as Wathens is mystery bourbon bought and repackacked and varies from batch to batch. Sadly, no real way to know what it is/was. Generally, it's nothing special, but if you like it - enjoy it...

As for "smoother than Four Roses", it's probably just a lower Rye bourbon, since FR is one of the highest high rye bourbons there is, and tastes sharper as a result.

Hope that helps.

Smile

It does. I'm also open to recommendations, thank you. Smile I read a whole bunch of good reviews of the Wathen's, and 1 crummy review. Most were basic bang for your buck, decent at the price point type articles. I'm easing my way into it.

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Eamonn,

You need to come up north to MetroWest for some fine bourbon tasting. I have a fairly well-stocked selection in the bunker . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

That sounds very promising. I may have to take you up on that in the future. Thanks!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Got 1792 singke barrel today. 49.3% alc. 37$

Still waiting on barrel proof.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Found a bottle of MMCS for $60 today and snagged it. 110.4 proof... will pour a small glass when I get home later tonight.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Man mmcs dropped to 45 here recently!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
How rare is the barrel strength 1792 going to be? A pain in the balls to get or average?

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well if ot was like 1792 port finish each shop got about 6 bottles. And im talkin thr mega shops here so i imagine a pain.