SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had Leopold Bros Maryland style rye. I have a bottle it's very different from my normal routine. It's light fruity floral. On first sip it reminded me of Red Breast 15. It's a nice change of pace from bourbon and high rye whiskey I normally drink.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't, but I do keep their Apple Liqueur around for Appletinis (there are three pounds of Apples in each Pint). I wonder if their Rye is more like Canadian Ryes...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just got an "old scout 10yr" 107.2 proof barrel select from the liquir store. Anybody know if its good. Never had old scout.

Edit, ah damn sourced! Ambler is non sourced. Well poo. Need to try today so i can decide on more bottles, looks like they bought 1 barrel.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it (Old Scout).

posted Hide Post
All of Smooth Ambler's older stuff is sourced. I haven't had a bad bottle and some are excellent. The barrel strength stuff is store selected. If the person selecting for the store knows what they're doing you're going to get a good to great bottle.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
I can't find any SAOS (Smooth Ambler Old Scout) here but I've heard good things about it.

More importantly, anybody know where I can buy a couple of bottles of Weller12??? I got stuff to trade, too . . . Big Grin

Many thanks,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
All of Smooth Ambler's older stuff is sourced. I haven't had a bad bottle and some are excellent. The barrel strength stuff is store selected. If the person selecting for the store knows what they're doing you're going to get a good to great bottle.

Fingers crossed. Ill go back and buy5 bottles if its good. 52.99 maybe just 1 more unless its amazing.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A couple of stores around here usually have Weller 12. I'll look when I'm there next, as I'm not sitting on any.

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A couple of stores around here usually have Weller 12. I'll look when I'm there next, as I'm not sitting on any.

I've been very diligent trying to find some Weller 12. Hitting up stores all over my area and without being annoying about it. I only know of 1 store that had some Weller and the only reason I found out about it was because my buddy called them asking them if they did any kind of "whiskey Wednesday" discounts like some stores do around here, he said he was trying to start a bourbon library and they offered to hold him some Weller 12 and ETL from behind the counter. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it out there to see if they would offer it to me as well.

All the other stores around me either haven't seen it in a year or more, or they "just sold out". It really is a great bourbon. There are other great bourbons out there also, and I have a lot of them, but I really really want to get the Weller 12 somehow. The search continues!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im gonna rain on some parades but i got a bottle, i wouldnt say its remotely close to my favorite. For the price its good. But its just not in my flavor profile. Nor pappy 15. 20 havent tried yet.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Weller 12, better than Makers regular and many midrange Bourbons, but I don't really drink it anymore as I have and prefer VW 12 and 15 and WLWeller Barrel Strength and Makers Cask Strength in a wheater, and even then will take Weller 107 over the 12.

but I prefer higher proofs and have a bunch of better to me opinions, which leaves Weller 12 the victim of collateral damage, at no fault of its own, to me. I'm a picky fucker.

Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Willett Pot Still is not worth the price. You're paying extra for a pretty bottle.

Different strokes....

Big fan of Willet Pot Still. You ARE paying extra for the bottle no doubt, but I find the contents to be excellent. I DO have a sweet tooth, and WPS does a great job of satisfying it.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TX2KS
posted Hide Post
I have 2x 1L's of Weller 12. What do you got? Smile

Posts: 468 | Location: TX | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Hey TX2KS,

What you want? Barrel Bourbon #006, EC12 1.75, Angel's Envy (bourbon & rye), Pikesville rye, Willet 2yr rye, Whistle Pig, JDSB, MMCS - just let me know what works for you! E-mail in Profile.

I have lots of friends in Texas - where you at???? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What are you guys paying for the Barrel Strength Blantons, from those 3rd party sites, or anywhere?

posted Hide Post
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is out of stock at the major UK sites right now. Usually around $150 to buy a bottle and have it shipped here.

Secondary sites it's $150-$185 shipped.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
berto is dead on. my blantons gold just under 100 bucks. i shoulda got a straight from the barrel but i was an idiot.Anyone thing BT will add it to the antique collection?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I suspect they have more mash bill number one which is available over 7 brands, EH Taylor, eagle rare, Stagg jr, BT, etc.

Could you imagine the demand for barrel proof ETL, or Blantons. I suspect they can send some BP Blantons to Europe where the demand is low.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Whike sourced. Midwinter night dram act 3 delish. I dont like wine finished booze either. Wow.

On a negative option maybe its the old fashion i had before it but lock stock and barrel great start, very rubberish tasting finish that just lingers. Quite terrible for 100 bucks. Will try tomorrow.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
$150-ish for the Blantons is a bit rich, but I bet it's good. I'd pay half that all day long.