SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just tried the baby sazerac. I give it a ho hum. They said it was amazing, i can barely taste the rye compared to willett, rittenhouse, thandy. Am i being snooty here?

Gonna taste 3 more tonight more to come, larceny.. weller antique, and maybe eh taylor rye bib.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Just tried the baby sazerac. I give it a ho hum. They said it was amazing, i can barely taste the rye compared to willett, rittenhouse, thandy. Am i being snooty here?

Gonna taste 3 more tonight more to come, larceny.. weller antique, and maybe eh taylor rye bib.

No, it's decidedly light, and nowhere near as bold as Handy or Willett, or even Rittenhouse - though I think Baby Saz is 10x more enjoyable than Rittenhouse which I also like.

It's the lightest Whiskey I enjoy, no matter the type, but I definitely do enjoy it on its own.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Great reco on eh taylor rye. Definately top 3 for me.

Larceny... is that cause they steal ur money? Very thin on taste, lots of char...

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I was very unimpressed when i first opened the bottle Baby Saz. But after it sat for a few weeks it got better. Keep in mind its a $24.99 bottle of rye. And its only 51% rye as opposed to others with a higher rye mash bill. I think Basil Hayden tastes like it has more rye than Baby Saz. After it aerates to me it had noticeable dark cherries, dried fig nuances.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I was very unimpressed when i first opened the bottle Baby Saz. But after it sat for a few weeks it got better. Keep in mind its a $24.99 bottle of rye. And its only 51% rye as opposed to others with a higher rye mash bill. I think Basil Hayden tastes like it has more rye than Baby Saz. After it aerates to me it had noticeable dark cherries, dried fig nuances.

Gator, i actually opened this bottle for a few hours and its been sitting for 2 months! I remember ur recommendation so i opened it up when bought it back in november.

Last to try is antuque weller. If i dont like it i may end with makers cask strength.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Weller 107 is pretty good, but they cheaped out just a couple of years ago and switched from a straight 7yo bottling to NAS and it's not quite what it was as a result.

I'll still take it over regular Makers and Weller Special Reserve, or even Weller 12 at 90p most of the time, but I'd pick Maker's Cask or any of the VWs over it all day long.

after all, it's simply a 107p bottling of a mix of 4-7yo Weller/VW juice.

beats the shit out of a bunch of whiskies, but it's not *that* special/interesting, IMO.

I keep it around for guests who want more than a couple, or to mix, or who are novices and want to try a Wheater.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
^^agree. Wasnt bad. Nice heat and cinnamon but not amazing. Im ending on makers cask unless i go back for willet 3 yr.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Cruzed down the bourbon aisle in my local liquor store and ran across these on sale. $35 ea. Reg price was $45.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice. We have the same kitchen glasses :-)

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I emailed willett the other day. Thier 4 year non sourced, barrel proof bourbon will come out this year most likely in the fall. The bottle will be like the new rye except foil top and purple.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I emailed willett the other day. Thier 4 year non sourced, barrel proof bourbon will come out this year most likely in the fall. The bottle will be like the new rye except foil top and purple.

Fuck yes!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Found a nice sweet spot for baby saz in an old fashion. Or as some places call it, an "old old fashion" as it doesnt include club soda

-1 sugar cube, melted seperately with water
-1 slice of orange rine, rim the glass, add to sugar water
-2/3 dash of original angustor bitters
-2/3 dash of orange ang bitters
-2oz sazerac rye

Stir in shaker with ice. Put orange rine in glass with ice orb. Pour mixture over ice orb leaving ice in the shaker.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found a nice sweet spot for baby saz in an old fashion. Or as some places call it, an "old old fashion" as it doesnt include club soda

-1 sugar cube, melted seperately with water
-1 slice of orange rine, rim the glass, add to sugar water
-2/3 dash of original angustor bitters
-2/3 dash of orange ang bitters
-2oz sazerac rye

Stir in shaker with ice. Put orange rine in glass with ice orb. Pour mixture over ice orb leaving ice in the shaker.

Sounds great, but I'm working on my recipe for a perfect "Sazerac" cocktail with Peychaud's bitters, real wormwood Absinthe (right?) and "stuff" for my Baby Saz. Just trying not to go blind! Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im no fan of anise so im out on that. Did try a sazerac at dinner as to give it a shot. Even with just a coating of absinthe in the glass i couldnt do it. But the knob creek rye was good.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Anybody here tried Noah's Mill/Rowan's Creek/Willett Pot Still? I've heard that while some bottles are good, there is a high level of variation from batch to batch (especially after going to NAS bottling last year). Peanut/wet cardboard/warehouse floor nose? Noah's Mill (at 114 proof) needs ice/water to tame it down and get to the flavors?

I may just stay with my Barrel Whiskey #006 and drink it neat! Big Grin

Inquiring minds want to know ... Wink

TIA for your sage advice,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Willet pot still is good but some here are not a fan.

Noahs mills is now a blend of sourced bourbon. Everything ive read said it needs to be a pre-2012 bottle that has an age statement as the newer ones have no depth, i.e. too young.

Ive heard good thing on the barrel one youve had. Never seen it in stores.

These guy says batch 006 is tops, 5 meh.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com...urbon-batch-006.html

posted Hide Post
Willett Pot Still is not worth the price. You're paying extra for a pretty bottle.

Noah's Mill varies by batch. I've had some that were very good and some that were average. You're unlikely to find the 15yr age stated version on a shelf.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There ain't no Noah and there ain't no Mill, and mystery whiskey (sourced of unknown origin) is generally bullshit in the last many years. The whiskey glut where some savvy entrepreneur can go pick several barrels of delicious juice as a commodity and then bottle it as their own (Wathens, et al) has long been over. Try to buy an amazing 12yr Bourbon like that, for instance, and see what happens... It's next to impossible, most of the time.

Willett Pot Still has never been good to me, but their Ryes - on the other hand, whether sourced or homemade, tend to be exceptions, and some of the only exceptions, IME.

I forget the deal with Rowans and such.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Same deal as Noah's Mill. Sourced booze with a created backstory.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Same deal as Noah's Mill. Sourced booze with a created backstory.

Rowan's creek is the name.

its funny 46n2 i had pot still the other night and i remembered it being quite good. since i got into the hotter stuff i was disenchanted. maybe cause i had ice in it though.