SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I paid 71.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TX2KS
posted Hide Post
Mine was $76.

Posts: 468 | Location: TX | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Do you guys pay sales tax on wine, beer, spirits? As I mentioned before, that's just one of the few things we DON'T pay sales tax on. Razz

But we just got rid of our "Blue Laws" banning Sunday sales not that long ago. Dang Puritans! Mad

Guess life really is a "zero-sum" game, eh?

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being in CA I pay tax on everything. If they could add a tax to the tax they would.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
A friend just found a bottle of the Taylor rye for me, I'm anxious to try it, but want to finish a bottle of the small batch first. I have a couple bottles of the single barrel because they were available, and the BP wasn't. I'm down to one bottle of the BP.

IMO, the Taylor BP is one of the best I've ever tasted. The caveat being it's becoming clear I'm really not much a fan of older bourbon. For example, I received 3 bottles of 18 YO Elijah Craig over the holidays, and turns out, I really preferred their BP as well.

Welcome to the ec18 club! I also got another bottle for xmas and now have 3. I like the sauce! You should consider blending ur ec18 with ec BP and i bet you get something magical. Id go 1:1 ratio or 2ECBP:1

I guess you wont be needing the ec18 bottle ive got for you! Smile

Yeah, a little birdie warned me against buying any more bourbon before Christmas. Turns out, I'm hard to buy for, and EC18 hit the stores, and well, 3, plus some Booker's, Russel's Single Barrel Reserve (2 of those), and Blanton's.

No socks or underwear this year, yay!

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
A friend just found a bottle of the Taylor rye for me, I'm anxious to try it, but want to finish a bottle of the small batch first. I have a couple bottles of the single barrel because they were available, and the BP wasn't. I'm down to one bottle of the BP.

IMO, the Taylor BP is one of the best I've ever tasted. The caveat being it's becoming clear I'm really not much a fan of older bourbon. For example, I received 3 bottles of 18 YO Elijah Craig over the holidays, and turns out, I really preferred their BP as well.

Welcome to the ec18 club! I also got another bottle for xmas and now have 3. I like the sauce! You should consider blending ur ec18 with ec BP and i bet you get something magical. Id go 1:1 ratio or 2ECBP:1

I guess you wont be needing the ec18 bottle ive got for you! Smile

Yeah, a little birdie warned me against buying any more bourbon before Christmas. Turns out, I'm hard to buy for, and EC18 hit the stores, and well, 3, plus some Booker's, Russel's Single Barrel Reserve (2 of those), and Blanton's.

No socks or underwear this year, yay!

i think you got 2-4 more bottles than me this year Smile nice haul.

Yes I pay tax as well.at a higher rate than sales tax i think. Got to fund the schools somehow, lol.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen
Just saw EHTaylor BP for $74.95 at another store yesterday - YIKES! Think I'll wait 'til we get some in and see what our prices will be. Eek

That's not a bad price. It's $80 and up in CA.

$80.00 here and worth it, in my opinion. I can't say that about many bourbons or ryes at that price.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
i think you got 2-4 more bottles than me this year Smile nice haul.

Typical story. Wife complains I have too much bourbon, then buys me more and tells everyone in the family that's what I want. Have to be careful though. Better to just agree with her and accept the booze than point out the obvious.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Better to just agree with her and accept the booze than point out the obvious.

Ahhh, a very wise man! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
OK, now I'm officially confused about Willet Rye. Frown

I know my foil-top bottle w/no age designation is a 2yr - but today I found a foil-top Willet Single Barrel 6yr (as noted by the hand-written age on the label) 117 proof for $70 AND a wax-top Willet Single Barrel 4yr (also from the hand-written age on the label) 110 proof for $84!

I'm so confused and conflicted - should I spend my next paycheck on one or the other or both??? And why is the 4yr wax-top more expensive than the 6yr foil-top (4yr is an older bottle perhaps)?

Inquiring minds want to know - please HELP! Big Grin

Many thanks,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
All the new ryes have an age statement and foil top. Look at this pic just above the proofing it says something like "this willet family reserve is aged two years"

Handwritten is the old stuff. Typed labels the new. All the juice from the new willett distillery went in the barrel in 2012. Ryes 2 and 3 year are out. 4 year may come out but theyre not expecting until september. Willett is tasting each barrell and pulling it when best much like 4 roses. They are not aging and bottling like some distilleries.

I suspext that foiltop is sourced as the proofing is handwritten and the 4 years arent out yet. Nothing wrong with them as 46n2 likes thier 4 yr sourced juice but id just like to try the family made stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, their sourced 4yr 110p Rye is excellent (though I generally pay about $55/ea).

I do look forward to their own juice, but that sourced stuff is excellent just the same.

I haven't had the 6yr 117p, but I bet it's very good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys -- think I'll spring for the 6yr 117p on Tuesday. Not afraid of "sourced" juice since the highly-acclaimed Whistlepig is Canadian juice aged in barrels in Vermont! I'll let all y'all know how it goes with the old wax-top. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
i wasnt blown away by WP. great as a mixer, neat smeh.

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
quote:
I haven't liked the Small Batch Knob, but I'm told by trustworthy sources the Single Barrel is outstanding.

I think the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is pretty good. For reference, I really like Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, but do not like Maker's Mark, Larceny or Jefferson's. No experience with other variances of Knob Creek (expressions as 46and2 would call them).

Also like Woodford & Bulleit quite a bit. Woodford Double Oaked is damn good too if you can find it on sale. If you like Woodford you should try Old Forester single barrel.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Woodford, and it's earned a place on my shelf / top-20 Bourbons and Ryes. I like their near-singular focus, too. It's a solid, unpretentious, Bourbon from a unique Distillery, and I don't mind trading them money for whiskey sometimes...

Knob Creek Single Barrel is a favorite of mine, too, and to me it's the best example of all things "Beam", nowadays, at 9yrs and Single Barrel and at 120proof (which may as well be Barrel Strength, though technically isn't). It's older than Bookers, and SB, and a high enough proof that the extra proof Bookers offers really doesn't amount to much, vs 9yrs and SB. KCSB has, IMO, made Booker's irrelevant for the most part, and I like Booker's...

Like many/most Distilleries' offerings, I find people in general either like Beam's juice or they don't, same for Wild Turkey, and both Brands get a bad-ish rap that they don't deserve, IMO. I do like Beam (and WT), and Beam White was the first real introduction I had to Bourbon, excluding Jack, since back then I used to think there was a difference between "Tennessee Whiskey" and Bourbon.

I've since corrected that mistake, but in the back of my mind Beam will always be my first Bourbon. Of course I now know that Beam White sort of sucks - its only 4yo and 90p after all - immature and weak - no wonder it's often mixed, but KCSB... it's an excellent example of what these guys do and have done for ages, and I think Jim Beam makes good Bourbon.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
bea,s 12 year sig craft is coming around, not high proof though, havent tried their BP yet.

46n2 when the 4 yr willet non source comes out, ill let you know. Not sure how fast CO gets booze but I'll probably buy mine online and ship it. SO if you want to get in. Same on the new 4 yr bourbon.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Word.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Pic of the 3yr Willet rye, please??? Smile

Just "happened" by my other liquor store near my old job (they provided all the wine, beer, and booze for daughter #1's wedding) this morning and saw the delivery trucks lining up after MLK Day yesterday. Guess what was being wheeled in as I walked thru the door -- brand spankin' new 3yr Willet Rye (printed labels and all). So I ask my guy how much they were selling it for (tag in front of the 2yr Willet said $44.99). Guy comes back and says "$41.99 - think I'll take one myself!".

So no need for pics, Deglyn, but thanks. Gonna' try it tonite (woo-hoo!). Not a bad price, yes? Roll Eyes

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
nice score! mine was delivered today to an empty house. weather is crud so ill pick up tomorrow at the distribution center. i got mine for 43 a bottle i believe, at CA prices so I'd say you faired better than me! not mention to factor $6 a bottle extra to ship. So you're doing much better than me Smile

hope you like it!