SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Picked up 3 bottles of willet 3 yr rye. I know its young but the 2 yr was worth it. Plus im thinking long term

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Pic of the 3yr Willet rye, please??? Smile

And the re-stock of the Willet Pot Still has not shown up at our front door, yet. Frown

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Its being shipped from hollywood. Gonna be a few days :-)

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
K, thx. Smile

TTFN,
PBF
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TX2KS
posted Hide Post
Debating on opening my EH Taylor Barrel Proof or trading away. Anybody cracked this one open? Thoughts?

Posts: 468 | Location: TX | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jigray was looking for a BP taylor last i talked to him.

Ive never had. Id probably keep it given prices on the secondary market. Sounds like a good one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX2KS:
Debating on opening my EH Taylor Barrel Proof or trading away. Anybody cracked this one open? Thoughts?

Haven't had a bad one. Think regular Buffalo Trace at barrel proof. I suppose I'd trade my sealed bottles but they don't carry much of a premium and if I were in the market I wouldn't pay or trade extra to get one.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh you wouldnt like it, terrible stuff, definitely trade it away.

Smile

It does seem most similar to Buffalo Trace (the Bourbon), though the Taylor Distillery is separate from Buffalo Trace even though they own it now, and the Taylor juice comes from old Pot Stills. I think it's excellent whiskey, and the BP Bourbon and the Rye are my favorite new-to-me whiskies in a few years.

I refuse to pay secondary market prices for anything, or even support the secondary market at all - aside from face value trades amongst friends, so I can't comment on "what it's worth" beyond retail, but it's worth every dollar of the retail price.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Went to work yesterday afternoon and found a case (6) of Pikesville Rye on the floor in my section. 110 proof and 6 yrs old -- someone described it as Rittenhouse Rye with 10 more proof points and 2 more years in the barrel. $43.99 out the door. Wink

Something rattled in my memory bank about this bottle being an alternative to the hard-to-find BTAC 18yr Sazerac. So I grabbed one at the end of my shift and took her home. Razz

Went right to bed (it started snowing during work) and was pooped after shoveling the driveway. Will try it tonite and let all y'all know the results. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Oh you wouldnt like it, terrible stuff, definitely trade it away.

Smile

It does seem most similar to Buffalo Trace (the Bourbon), though the Taylor Distillery is separate from Buffalo Trace even though they own it now, and the Taylor juice comes from old Pot Stills. I think it's excellent whiskey, and the BP Bourbon and the Rye are my favorite new-to-me whiskies in a few years.

I refuse to pay secondary market prices for anything, or even support the secondary market at all - aside from face value trades amongst friends, so I can't comment on "what it's worth" beyond retail, but it's worth every dollar of the retail price.

How does thier high rye compare to say... th handy? My liquor store has had it, ive passed as im still looking for bp taylor. But i do like handy and willett which is also bp.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
A friend just found a bottle of the Taylor rye for me, I'm anxious to try it, but want to finish a bottle of the small batch first. I have a couple bottles of the single barrel because they were available, and the BP wasn't. I'm down to one bottle of the BP.

IMO, the Taylor BP is one of the best I've ever tasted. The caveat being it's becoming clear I'm really not much a fan of older bourbon. For example, I received 3 bottles of 18 YO Elijah Craig over the holidays, and turns out, I really preferred their BP as well.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
A friend just found a bottle of the Taylor rye for me, I'm anxious to try it, but want to finish a bottle of the small batch first. I have a couple bottles of the single barrel because they were available, and the BP wasn't. I'm down to one bottle of the BP.

IMO, the Taylor BP is one of the best I've ever tasted. The caveat being it's becoming clear I'm really not much a fan of older bourbon. For example, I received 3 bottles of 18 YO Elijah Craig over the holidays, and turns out, I really preferred their BP as well.

Welcome to the ec18 club! I also got another bottle for xmas and now have 3. I like the sauce! You should consider blending ur ec18 with ec BP and i bet you get something magical. Id go 1:1 ratio or 2ECBP:1

I guess you wont be needing the ec18 bottle ive got for you! Smile

Picture of TX2KS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

3x18YO? So you like EHT BP & I've been looking for a EC18. Swap? Razz

Posts: 468 | Location: TX | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
the Taylor Rye is quite good, probably in my top-3 now along with the Handy and VW. (none of them taste like the other, mind you, but I think they're equally good/interesting.)

(and, fwiw, the Taylor Small Batch and Single Barrel didn't wow me, but the BP and Rye...)

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Taylor Rye is quite good, probably in my top-3 now along with the Handy and VW. (none of them taste like the other, mind you, but I think they're equally good/interesting.)

(and, fwiw, the Taylor Small Batch and Single Barrel didn't wow me, but the BP and Rye...)

Ill have to grab one then tomorrow!

Edit:got it tonight. Dang are those higher proofs more $$$

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Anyone know anything about older bourbons? I know from ones that are available is Knob Creek 9yr and Jim Beam Black (6 or 8 years). Are there any others to look for? I did try Elijah Craig 12 year and could not stand it.

Coming around from the scotch side, Johnnie Walker has a 10 year scotch they brought out in rye whiskey barrels. Anyone here try that?

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:

Ill have to grab one then tomorrow!

Edit:got it tonight. Dang are those higher proofs more $$$

Embarrassingly omitted from that top 3 was the fourth favorite: the Willett 4yo 110p, that they sourced... (Looking forward to *their* 4+yo expressions in the future).

yeah, the Willett, VW, Handy, and Taylor Ryes are my hands down favorites, regardless of price. Saz 18 and 6 are good but not on that level, and those from Beam and Bullet/Templeton, and others, are good as well, but those top 4 impress me the most, (rare exotics like Willett sourced 20+ aside, they're too rare to deal with but super good).

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Anyone know anything about older bourbons? I know from ones that are available is Knob Creek 9yr and Jim Beam Black (6 or 8 years). Are there any others to look for? I did try Elijah Craig 12 year and could not stand it.

Coming around from the scotch side, Johnnie Walker has a 10 year scotch they brought out in rye whiskey barrels. Anyone here try that?

In old(er) expressions, say, 8+yrs and preferrably with an Age Statement, you have quite a few choices:

By Distillery...

Beam: Knob Creek, Knob Creek Single Barrel
Buffalo Trace: Eagle Rare 10, Weller 12, Van Winkle 10/12/15/20/23, Blanton's
Heaven Hill: Henry McKenna 10, Elijah Craig 12/18/20/21/23, Evan Williams 10/23
Wild Turkey: Russell's Reserve 10, Rare Breed (a mix of 6/8/12)
Four Roses: various annual limited releases
Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark: nothing
Bulleit (was at Four Roses, now elsewhere): Bulleit 10

and others, I'm sure, but that's most of the common ones.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deglyn:
Dang are those higher proofs more $$$

Just saw EHTaylor BP for $74.95 at another store yesterday - YIKES! Think I'll wait 'til we get some in and see what our prices will be. Eek

Gonna' try vatting my really hot Stagg Jr. (3rd batch) with ER10 & BT as suggested by others. I've loved chemistry since I was 6 when I got a chemistry set from my parents (over-achieving Asians). Wish me luck. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen

Just saw EHTaylor BP for $74.95 at another store yesterday - YIKES! Think I'll wait 'til we get some in and see what our prices will be. Eek

That's not a bad price. It's $80 and up in CA.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post