SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The 4yr Willett that looks just like those 2yr bottles is excellent, to me.

I've not seen the 2yr before.

I never have liked their Pot Still Bourbon, but their Ryes... Mmmmmm.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

You talking the 4 yr wax top? These are non wax top and i dont believe the new 4 year is out til 2016 as they started making thier own in 2012. Am i wrong and ive missed the release?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
It's pretty obvious Deqlyn has a phenomenal bourbon connection. We don't get any Willet in VA. None. Don't think I didn't notice the George T Stagg behind the pot still either. That's the one I want to try.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:

You talking the 4 yr wax top? These are non wax top and i dont believe the new 4 year is out til 2016 as they started making thier own in 2012. Am i wrong and ive missed the release?

No, the previous 4yr, or any if the prior 20ishyr Ryes they sourced

But I do look forward to their in-house 4and everything that follows.

Nice score, on the Stagg too.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Ive heard great things bout the wax top willet ryes the 25 yr is better than VW 13 yr so im told.

Just snagged a bottle of Jack daniels single barrel, barrel proof. 128.2 proof. I like thier SB so i imagine this might be good.

Also called my liquor store and have them holding another pot still willet 1.75 for me. Woohoo

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
The willet pot still bourbon is pretty freaking delicious. It was the first bourbon i drank neat and couldnt believe how smooth it was. Ill have to have a swig and give you some tasting notes if you want it to go that far.

Hey Deglyn,

Yes, please. I'll check our prices for the Willett Pot Still tonite after I get back from officiating at a "puddle meet" (12 & Under swimming). Might need it! Wink

And I'll closely look at the Willet Rye(s) on our shelf that I noticed as well. Maybe there's a 4 year old hiding up there (hope, hope). Thanks for the "heads up". Smile

And to think, I got into bourbon (thanks, guys) to stop paying exorbitant prices for single malt scotch! Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:
The willet pot still bourbon is pretty freaking delicious. It was the first bourbon i drank neat and couldnt believe how smooth it was. Ill have to have a swig and give you some tasting notes if you want it to go that far.

Hey Deglyn,

Yes, please. I'll check our prices for the Willett Pot Still tonite after I get back from officiating at a "puddle meet" (12 & Under swimming). Might need it! Wink

And I'll closely look at the Willet Rye(s) on our shelf that I noticed as well. Maybe there's a 4 year old hiding up there (hope, hope). Thanks for the "heads up". Smile

And to think, I got into bourbon (thanks, guys) to stop paying exorbitant prices for single malt scotch! Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Neat:

Nose: cinnamon, syrup, reminds me a bit like those old potporri type dishes but less intense and sweeter

Palate: carmel, vanilla wonderful taste with no taste of alcohol

Finish: smooth, warming,

Adding 1 tiny ice cube and drinkinh fore melting gives it a bit more buttery flavor and oaky woodford reserve type finish.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks - $32.99 for 750ml, $64.99 for 1.75l.

Oh yeah, Willett 2 yr. Rye (plain screw top) $37.99.

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I got the 1.75 for $82 today so ur gettin a deal. Its hard to find around here so now that i have a gallon id say im stocked up.

Great karma im in!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
What the heck? The bourbon buzz is over???? Page2?

Well ok how about a review.

Get some good oak and char taste. Id saw on the way done its ok. The finish is where thus one shines. Tatstes like a beefed up jd single barrel cause thats what it is.

I probably shouldnt have had GTS before this. Its a good barrel proof but nothing complex that tastes amazing.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well disappointing night, call me crazy but got to try pappy 15 at $13 for 3/4oz cause it was the last of the bottle. VERY underwhelming and a dry finish. Not as complex as the stagg or even the WLW. Not like anything ive tasted, good but i wouldnt steal it from grandmas liquor cabinet. Im glad i got to try it so i didnt drop a G on it just to have it. Instead ill try and buy a bottle of GS and WLW for the price of one 20 year. Also tried thomas h handy rye after the pappy. Fruitier notes than the willet 2 yr but not as good. I think im developing an addiction to barrel proof bourbons/ryes. As many have said here, good bourbon but nothing worth shelling out big $$$ for. I guess that means more for you pappy chasers!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Such are subjective tastes, eh. Particularly when the hype is so enormous.

I love the Handy, and Pappy 15, and am delighted when others do not.

Smile

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Such are subjective tastes, eh. Particularly when the hype is so enormous.

I love the Handy, and Pappy 15, and am delighted when others do not.

Smile

Absolutely! It was good but i think the years of hype i was expecting something out of this world like a tamer version of WLW with even more complexity. If i can buy a bottle at suggested retail i would take it in a heartbeat, especially to complete my collection.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'm working on the Old Rip 10 YO right now and am not overwhelmed. It' better than when I first opened it, but I'd trade my other bottle for an EH Taylor BP among others in a NY minute.

I had heard that the 15's were in short supply this year because there were many barrels that just didn't make the bar. Does that mean this year's 15's they did release are not as good as previous years, I can't say.

Deqlyn, was your Pappy 15 from 2015? You did very well on the price. at $13.00 for 3/4 oz., I get $433.00 for the bottle, or not even half what the secondary market is paying.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes 2015. I got lucky. They normally charge 50 for 2 oz. 25 for 1 oz. They only had 3/4 oz left so they charged me for .5oz at 13. Worked out well for me.

Hey i could find a ET barrel proof for the ORVW! Email sent!

Side note. I heard now that were passed the VW distillery product and on to buffalo trace it will only get better. Van winkle was probably putting out less quality booze and since BT distillery is distilling more and can pass on product that is not quite there, pappy et. Al. Should get better. And volume increase as well.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Preston Van Winkle has previously confirmed that Pappy15 in particular has been 100%-BT whiskey since 2011. Prior to that it was stock they brought with them to BT in the '02 merger, and some years before 2011 it was actually 16yo in a 15yo bottle.

The Rye is still being pulled from the stainless Vat at BT, where it's been since '04 or '05, still being of the mixed Bernheim/Medley/Cream of Kentucky stock. I believe the Rye is actually closer to 16-18yo (of actual aging, but they know it's all at least 13 - thus the label).

I suspect the 20yo Stitzel-Weller stock has finally run out.

The 10/90 and 10/107 have been BT juice for a while.

That's my recollection, and that of my sources. Have you heard anything different?

posted Hide Post
IIRC rumor is the last SW 20 year was around 2013 and may have been blended with BT juice to ease the transition. The 23 year stretched a bit longer but I'm fairly certain it's mostly if not all BT now. The story changes depending on who reports what Julian told them on what day. In any case the SW is done or nearly done. The BT is different. Some is better than others and not all SW was great. I wouldn't count on a massive increase in availability given the lead time needed and Julian wanting to protect the brand from even more substandard barrels that got re routed from the Weller line.

As for the rye this year might be it from the tanks and rumor is the tanks were emptied and bottled last year with this years release being holdback.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Just got a case of Elmer T. Lee 750s in today. Limit one (1) per customer - $22.99, no tax!!! Big Grin

Drinking it neat right now. Sure cures the sore feet after 10 hours at the store. Yummmmmm. Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got a case of Elmer T. Lee 750s in today. Limit one (1) per customer - $22.99, no tax!!! Big Grin

Drinking it neat right now. Sure cures the sore feet after 10 hours at the store. Yummmmmm. Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Can you ship me one? For real, it's rarer than hens teeth around me right now.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Can you ship me one? For real, it's rarer than hens teeth around me right now.

Let me see if there's any left when I get to work at noonish. We can work something out. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!