SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
Not sure what's going on exactly, but suddenly there are some interesting releases out there, and today, I've gotten very lucky.

This morning picked up 6 bottles of Elmer T Lee, a staple, and a bottle of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel. On my way home I will pick up a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof and Sazerac rye 6 Yr.

It's hard to get lucky in state controlled Virginia. It's also expensive here. These 9 bottles will put a $400.00 dent in my wallet, but you just don't know when you'll see some of these again. I found practically nothing really interesting for almost a year, but have had some success in the past 4-5 months. Maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket on the way home. If I can afford one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, the VA ABC just got it back. Picked up the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve instead. Went in looking for the new Abraham Bowmans. If they don't have it next week, I'll stop by the distillery and grab a couple of bottles

Posts: 551 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of the John J Bowman that I like quite a bit. Took a month or so after cracking the seal for it to mellow a bit to get there, however. As a result, I am very curious about the Abraham, but at $70.00+ there is some stiff competition. The $75.00 I'm spending for the EH Taylor Barrel Proof will be the most I've ever spent for one bottle. One day on the Abraham, though.

I haven't liked the Small Batch Knob, but I'm told by trustworthy sources the Single Barrel is outstanding. Interesting they should be so different. It's on my list.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Abraham Bowmans are always a special release. The current release is a coffee finished and a darn high proof at 134.6. Last was a vanilla bean finished which I didn't try. The cider finished and gingerbread beer finished releases were pretty good.

Paul

Posts: 551 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In my local shop right now and they also have John Bowman and EH Taylor on the shelves. I don't think I've ever seen them.

They have Woodford on sale for $29.99 so that's hard to pass up But I'm snagging a bottle of the Knob single barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I haven't liked the Small Batch Knob, but I'm told by trustworthy sources the Single Barrel is outstanding.

I think the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is pretty good. For reference, I really like Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, but do not like Maker's Mark, Larceny or Jefferson's. No experience with other variances of Knob Creek (expressions as 46and2 would call them).

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice. Elmer, Taylor Barrel Strength, and Baby Sazerac are each excellent, to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I finally get to try elmer this weekend with my bourbon buddy. it makes #17 or 18 since jan 2014. Bowman bros., ugh no thanks. Taylor did ok for me too smoky first time around. Hoping the second will be good.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Taylor Bourbon reminds me of Buffalo Trace (the Bourbon) in its bit of smokiness.

I happen to like it, but I can see not liking either if that aspect isn't your thing.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't liked the Small Batch Knob, but I'm told by trustworthy sources the Single Barrel is outstanding. Interesting they should be so different. It's on my list.

don't be surprised if you don't like it either. they're not that different. me, I think its Beam's best, the essence of Beam - if you will, as the best combo of age and proof available in that line at 9yrs and 120proof and Single Barrel (I used to say this about Bookers before the KCSB was released). But it's Beam all the way, and some just don't like it. Remind me, do you like any other Beam brand expression? Bookers, Bakers, Beam white and black, Basil Hayden, Old Grand Dad 114 and 80, etc?

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

don't be surprised if you don't like it either. they're not that different. me, I think its Beam's best, the essence of Beam - if you will, as the best combo of age and proof available in that line at 9yrs and 120proof and Single Barrel (I used to say this about Bookers before the KCSB was released). But it's Beam all the way, and some just don't like it. Remind me, do you like any other Beam brand expression? Bookers, Bakers, Beam white and black, Basil Hayden, Old Grand Dad 114 and 80, etc?

Hit and miss with Beam. Bookers I enjoy a lot and OGD114 is pretty good, but Beam white and black, are a definite no's and Basil Hayden was a real disappointment. Does that make any sense in predicting whether I might like the Knob Single?

Sadly, I missed out on the Sazerac. It was sold out from under me. But, still a very good day. The Rock Hill is very good, worth the $55.00 tag. As for the EH Taylor Barrel Proof? Wow! Just fucking wow! Rich lasting complex flavors, silky mouth feel, generous spice without harsh burn even neat. So good, I'll likely go back and spend $150.00 for the other two bottles on the shelf. Crazy behavior for me, but wow. I don't get any of the characteristic Buffalo Trace dominant pungent woodiness in it at all. I just don't care for BT, but like so many of their other products.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The beauty shot

And I tracked down some Sazerac after all.

Went back to buy some more of the EH Taylor Barrel Proof, it was gone, but tracked down another bottle for pick up today. There are 6 total Taylor offerings, the Barrel Proof was my target. Enjoying recent acquisitions of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Makers Cask Strength, and Bookers has me leaning in the direction of higher proof uncut whiskey. And, I did not get the smokiness you guys referenced from this expression at all. At least, not the first time...

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The beauty shot

And I tracked down some Sazerac after all.

Went back to buy some more of the EH Taylor Barrel Proof, it was gone, but tracked down another bottle for pick up today. There are 6 total Taylor offerings, the Barrel Proof was my target. Enjoying recent acquisitions of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Makers Cask Strength, and Bookers has me leaning in the direction of higher proof uncut whiskey. And, I did not get the smokiness you guys referenced from this expression at all. At least, not the first time...

which ABC stores have you emptied in RVA?

so I know which ones to drive by on the way home

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
This haul of 11 total bottles (yes, I bought a second bottle of the Taylor) came from 4 different stores in Northern Virginia, and 2 in Fredricksburg over a 24 hour period. No luck in Richmond.

Tried the Sazerac this evening. Initial impressions are OK but nothing special. Disappointing given its reputation, but I'll give it s a few weeks and see what happens. My Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was very disappointing the first time I cracked the seal.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Elmer t lee. Initial thoughts.

Could be i havent drank in 5 weeks.

kinda "hot" like knob creek however its much much smoother than knob creek. Im not a big knob creek fan but this is pretty good.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
This haul of 11 total bottles (yes, I bought a second bottle of the Taylor) came from 4 different stores in Northern Virginia, and 2 in Fredricksburg over a 24 hour period. No luck in Richmond.

Tried the Sazerac this evening. Initial impressions are OK but nothing special. Disappointing given its reputation, but I'll give it s a few weeks and see what happens. My Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was very disappointing the first time I cracked the seal.

thanks,

I was in DC on Tuesday, but did not have time to stop at a liquor store, or an ABC store on the way home Wed am,,,,,

good thing I guess, you probably bought it all!!

Smile

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Elmer T Lee but my favorite is Evan Williams Single Barrel - it just has a smooth, caramel/vanilla hint that I like

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Having old medly 12 yr. Not bad. Id say it lies somewhere in the middle of the list.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
To me, Baby Saz is good in its lightness, slightly candied flavor, super easy to drink.

Elmer is similar, but more robust flavor, and more overtly sweet.

I like either on hot days over a few cubes when I want to drink...

Neither are what I reach for when I want to sip.complexities.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Having old medly 12 yr. Not bad. Id say it lies somewhere in the middle of the list.

Never even heard of Old Medley until tonight, but I'm still pretty new to all this.

Really digging into the Rock Hill Farms tonight. It fascinates me how some bourbons are better neat or close to it, others are better with a significant bit of branch added. This is one of the latter. Good but unremarkable over a whiskey ball initially, but 10 minutes later, it opens up and really delivers. Truly outstanding pour with enough agua. And, boy does the flavor linger.

Looks like Stagg, Jr. ha just hit. They just keep coming. Reviews are mixed. At $50.00 what say you, SIGForum?